IGNORED

Stinkymeat, Stinkyfeet, spores, molds, and fungus

MisterE

so back around interweb 1.2 or so (~2000) i was in college and was into science, and while doing some research i came across this website called TheSpark.com which became my favorite science and related things website. maybe someone else here will remember it. i've never met anyone else who saw it irl or online (i don't think), but it was awesome. i've found some of the projects that they had on the site, archived. i present to watmm, for watmms science learning pleasure:

stinkymeat - this one is now archived at it's own site. TheSpark had several contributors, with the main one being the guy who ran it, but i think this was their first project and someone besides the founder of the site did it. anyway, its about what happens to various meats if left outside all day. no- ALL WEEK! dare you look to see what does happen? how will you apply this knowledge? (it may save your life)

there's also a stinkymeat 2 but not so much science happened in that one.

stinyfeet - this was their crowning achievement, and it was done by the founder (this guy), who apparently went on after selling this site (and leaving me totally bummed) to co-found OkCupid. so in this genius experiment he wanted to test home remedies for athlete's foot (keep in mind this was before mythbusters or youtube or anything), but to do that, he first had to HAVE IT.

so he gave it to himself.

by going to the YMCA and rubbing his feet all over the bathroom floor in there. science ensues. these projects were updated with pics and colorful, detailed, and very scientific descriptions of the events as they unfolded.

the fat project - this one is about body fat. they offered 3000$ to 2 ppl from the site's audience to gain 30lbs in 30 days, to see if it's a scientifically possible thing to do. oh and- they wouldn't get the cash if they fell short by even a few pounds. SOME THINGS HAPPENED. (bloating, science, heartbreak???)

the date my sister project - remember when i said stinkyfeet was their crowning achievement? i assume that it's still being debated in science circles to this day, honestly. because it might actually be this one. he sets his sister up on a date and then acts as a nature show host, merely observing what happens. and observe he does. along with countless people who visited thespark.com. stay tuned through to the end for the shocking conclusion.

special thanks goes to sr4 for making me believe that i could do this, that i could start my very own thread (and for making me believe that i too could be a real boy.)

Mr.E, i just have to say, no matter the arguments in the past, this thread should be fucking AMAZING.

this is epic old-school WATMM status threading right here. This is how it was done in the day, folks.

not too many websites would have lots of pictures like that in 00 so 640x480 was prob high-res for a website pic

but yeah i think the stinkymeat one should be revived for a sequel with highres pics and vid for the modern era

in the name of science

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

not too many websites would have lots of pictures like that in 00 so 640x480 was prob high-res for a website pic

but yeah i think the stinkymeat one should be revived for a sequel with highres pics and vid for the modern era

in the name of science

Go to the shops and do it for science and WATMM. And science.

in the name of science

Go to the shops and do it for science and WATMM. And science.

this

i got so disappointed in the stinkymeat experiments. they need to be followed to their natural and disgusting conclusion.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

The Date My Sister Project is funny but the idea of it is kinda creepy

Yeah. It started off well with the light hearted talk of elephantitis of the balls but I started feeling a bit weird a few pages in and stopped reading. I will soldier on tonight! Is it even creepier that the guy that did that article went on to found OkCupid? I think it is

wow this takes me back. The permanence of the internet is sometimes dizzying

pls, expand on this

edit: wtf this is an xxx post? shortest xxx post ever. and also the least informative. c'mon dude, I know you got something interesting as all hell to say about this stuff.

heh. come on give it up sr4.

watmm doesnt care about my thread!

but i mean, ya know, it has 'stinkymeat' in the title of it. so that prob turns a lot of people off

b) the articles are really long. ppl dont have time to read that shit. they're probably busy doing their own science or just trying to get through the day without spontaneously combusting

c) just face the fact that we are dorks, you and i

perhaps on opposite sides of a coin, or opposite ends of a crossfire board game

but dorks nonetheless

geeks even

'look at us! we think foot fungus is cool ha ha arent we super idm'

thats us sr4

look wat weve becom

lets just let this thread sink down to the cold porcelain abyss of watmm obscurity and never speak of it again

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

pls, expand on this

I think what he's probably saying is that he once bore witness to TheSpark and other websites of it's ilk back in days of old when both he and the internet were younger. Whilst clicking one or more of the links in the original post in this thread, he experienced a wave of nostalgia and reminisced upon those times of old that now seem so, so long ago. So many things have changed in his life since then, and he had all but forgotten about his fledgeling forays into the realms of the internet as a youth. It struck him then that despite so much metamorphosis within his own existence, the website he once knew years ago still resides in digital form largely unchanged. The effect of this revelation left him feeling lightheaded and off balance, and the room seemed to spin around him. Then again, maybe he's just got an ear infection.

pls, expand on this

I think what he's probably saying is that he once bore witness to TheSpark and other websites of it's ilk back in days of old when both he and the internet were younger. Whilst clicking one or more of the links in the original post in this thread, he experienced a wave of nostalgia and reminisced upon those times of old that now seem so, so long ago. So many things have changed in his life since then, and he had all but forgotten about his fledgeling forays into the realms of the internet as a youth. It struck him then that despite so much metamorphosis within his own existence, the website he once knew years ago still resides in digital form largely unchanged. The effect of this revelation left him feeling lightheaded and off balance, and the room seemed to spin around him. Then again, maybe he's just got an ear infection.

lol that was incredibly concise. thank you.

ps. xxx needs to talk medical knowledge about foot fungus and rotting meat NOW

pls, expand on this

edit: wtf this is an xxx post? shortest xxx post ever. and also the least informative. c'mon dude, I know you got something interesting as all hell to say about this stuff.

Jesus H. Cringe

pls, expand on this

Best post of the year?

Archived