IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

Guest Gravity

almost positive some of the new stuff is in B#/4 time. mental.

The 'chre be inventin' new time signatures 'n shit. -270 BPM.

BELIEVE

I had this headfuck thing where I swore the vinyl version of tac Lacora was a different verson than the .wav file. Turns out my brain was adding an extra measure somehow, good stuff.

Enjoying the ep alot, sounds great in all formats. Like others mentioned, Osla for n seems a bit harsh at first, but I've warmed up to it. All in all a great after-shock to Exai.

Guest jasondonervan

Japanese version arrived today, snuggled into a care package. No bonus tracks, but a nice curio nonetheless.

iWQBf4hxNVRoX.jpg

ibujfmREEKEfvT.jpg

iZWuwB8cn4v9x.jpg

ibwrOhVkpdN005.jpg

RB: "It's divisive, having 'Osla For N' and 'Newbound' back-to-back, because I can see they've been out for a few weeks now, so there are a lot of people digging up stuff about them, and again it's splitting the camps wide open. In my view all the right people are saying 'Osla For N' is weird, it's cool. It's quite unassuming at first, but it's a bit of a disarmer. I heard someone describe it today as coughing - digital coughing - as in chesty coughs… 'Osla For N' is sort of a really good danger zone before you're on the home-straight…

watmm

Edited by feltcher

Awesome pics of the japanese cd release. Nice little poster they get as a bonus.

These 4 tracks are really starting to sink in as something special. They certainly seem more fitting for fall and impending winter- they weren't doing much for me when it was still sunny out :P

Also love that quietus interview, especially the bit about all of the aqueous sampling in m39 diffain

yeah the part about m39 diffain (my fave track on the ep) is really cool, I like the way Rob talks about field testing their tracks (he mentioned something similar about testing Oversteps on train rides iirc).

Also Rob may I suggest not reading too much watmm! Either that or please don't let our likes or dislikes influence future musical decisions in any way! We're a fickle argumentative bunch so please don't let us take up nesting space in your brain as an "inner critic". Now every time I write something critical on watmm I feel like I'm saying "hey Rob, your baby's kind of ugly". Don't pay us any mind :nacmat:

Really nice ep. I always have all their eps on my mp3 player, whereas the albums come and go...

Maybe I need to think about Exai in 4 song chunks

Newbound reminds me of a short story by Arthur C Clark, The Wind From the Sun about racing sail ships across space and around the sun.

• 11 months later...

Did this interview ruin any of this EP for anyone else? I still like it a lot but now when I listen to M39 Diffain I just think about Rob's sort of little blog post entry paragraph. I don't remember them speaking in this autobiographical way before. It's kinda weird. I think I prefer Autechre mysterious.

Did this interview ruin any of this EP for anyone else? I still like it a lot but now when I listen to M39 Diffain I just think about Rob's sort of little blog post entry paragraph. I don't remember them speaking in this autobiographical way before. It's kinda weird. I think I prefer Autechre mysterious.

eh no, fantastic lil ep

autechre is still mysterious 2 me even after that full week of AAA

Yeah, it is. It's just M39 Diffain. It's not so bad that I can't listen to it but it's weird. I think they were more mysterious in AAA, at least about individual track processes or what was going on in their life when they made it.

It looks like that text on the Japanese version of the EP may just be promo bullshit: I see in the bold bits a lot of the text has "L-Event" and "Exai" (in English)...

Just re-read that The Quietus interview and it's so good to hear the guys being a bit more open about things. They obviously state that they're not getting too autobiographical with giving away everything, but still giving a bit of insight into their thoughts about the tracks, or at least how the tracks are perceived, is interesting.

And sorry, but I still think Osla for n kinda sucks. It's not for everyone, and it's not that I don't get it, but I just don't dig that track (listened to the EP again two days ago).

But I mention that to say that I think it's good in a way that they're releasing stuff that they seem to know everyone won't get into; it's proof that they're doing things how they want and for themselves first and foremost, and experimenting enough to alienate some fans means that they're pushing their music hard. Which, despite not liking a track here or there, is more important than the alternative.

Yeah I agree with all that except I do like Osla for N.

I think it's cool that they're being more open. I still read AAA from time to time, and it's still super inspiring. They definitely seem to know what they want and don't seem to feel as much of a need to cover their tracks.

I think it's just because I read that interview really recently, about the same time I started getting into this EP. So I didn't get a chance to form my own associations with that track and it's weird having them provided for me before that happened. It's my fault, really, I should've waited a few more listens before I read it. I cheated myself out of some of the Autechre effect.

Like I said before, I personally just like to think of them realistically, as a duo who like to fuck with sound, rather than some kind of mysterious gods or something. Opening up about tracks actually adds to my enjoyment, tbh.

• 7 years later...

It's funny -- contrary to its name, newbound seems to harken backwards to both Oversteps and Quaristice. If we can imagine Oversteps (and Move of Ten) as nearby moons to the planet Quaristice, newbound feels like some sort of vessel in midflight between the two celestial bodies with a decent amount of both the gaseous satellite and a little of the rocky surface of the homeworld still in view.

• Like 1

M39 Diffain has some of the crispiest snares ever made. I like how they tease out that absolutely slamming beat, then pull it away and leave you wading through the murk hoping it'll return. And when it does come back in toward the end it's glorious.

Kind of like M4 Lema, they really know how to obfuscate the funk just enough to leave you wanting more

• Like 3