IGNORED

Only them? (WATMMF Featured Artists)

Guest Hexagon Hobbes

Guest Hexagon Hobbes

I know the featured artist in that sub-forum are the pinnacle of many sides and faces of Electronic music but it seems the artists included offer a type of individually unique sound around the times those sounds were most common. But don't get me wrong, each one of those artists exude very specific, original sounds and elecric language. And that sound, many newcoming artists today don't always connect to or use. But the new-to-the-scene artists are just as definitive in Electronic music as the others and offer a whole new type of electronic sound that the ones included don't (normally) deal with.

People like like J Dilla, Mr. Oizo, Shigeto, Bachelors of Science, Flying Lotus (you can call him mainstream, but he perfected that sound and is extremely talented), etc. Those names come to mind right now. I just wish those sides of Electronic were included too. Thoughts?

(I wouldn't call Mr. Oizo, J Dilla or Bachelors "New to the scene" but you know what I mean).

Oneohtrix Point Never seems to come up a lot in theses discussions. Of the artists you mentioned, I think J Dilla was probably most worthy and influential, but I doubt any deceased artists will be be going up any time soon. I'm not sure how how many new-ish acts have enough WATMM appeal to get a sub forum really. I'd probably bet on OPN or Bibio if anyone.

OPN i think is too new to get his own sub forum. I'd like to assume that he'll continue to have a prolific career indefinitely, but you never know when someone who gets popular so fast will just disappear from the scene. I totally agree about Mr. Oizo though, J Dilla also but i'd say he has more relationship to hiphop than electronic music. Since this is technically a forum that started over IDM music (not embarrassed to use this term at all) and IDM music is essentially dead now, i think the whole concept of the artist subforms would need to be re-evaluated.

Edit: I don't know what I'm trying to say...

The way I see it, SP, AFX, BOC and AE are the 'big four', and those should always have a forum dedicated to them on a forum like this. Their stuff is like the Bible of IDMz.

Also, how should these new featured artists be picked?

I disagree. I think increasing the amount of artist subforums would allow for a better organized and more in depth discussion concerning the artists. +1 for more featured artists.

Guest bitroast

There is certainly no need for any more sub forums. :/

What else is there to discuss that can't be covered in 1-2 threads.

Guest Hexagon Hobbes

I was more talking about the 10 sub-subforums with hundreds(?) of threads each dedicated to electronic music artists in the "Featured Artists" subforum.

The artists featured here are definitely the big boys. Ceephax took years of poking and prodding and it doesn't hurt that he's Squarepusher's brother.

If anyone wants to unsuccessfully petition for more sub-forums, they can be my guest.

It will be good for a laugh.

Guest Frankie5fingers

^This

seriously, what's there to discuss? i get that there are others that are pretty amazing, but the big dogs already in there barely see any new posts (unless they release an album, then their subforum lights up for a good 2 weeks of dick riding (or ball busting in some peoples cases)). besides, most of the new threads are just rehashes of old threads from newer members. ive only been here about a year and ive lost count of how many times ive seen a thread titled "whens the next Aphex album coming out!?" or "What the F**K Aphex, gimmie album...NOW."

just make a general thread for an artist and let it roll from there. chances are itll die be like the other threads dedicated to some artist.

Guest Hexagon Hobbes

Frankie5fingers:

"But the big dogs already in there barely see any new posts (unless they release an album, then their subforum lights up for a good 2 weeks of dick riding (or ball busting in some peoples cases)). "

^True.

Four Tet Smore Schmet.

or something...

I dunno, I'm a bit skeptical beyond highly prolific and popular artists mentioned here often on WATMM. There's no VHS Head thread because he simply doesn't put out as many releases. Dilla is too broad - he has a huge production discography, but so do folks like Madlib, Mark Pritchard, Uwe Schmidt, Gerald Donald, etc. OPN seems like a valid one but he needs bit more time. The Ceephax and Clark subforums were great additions for similar reasons (and because Cylob's forum dissolved) but only after consistent lobbying and great output from them as artists.

In the past I was a fan of subforums for labels or genres (i.e. a Rephlex subforum or dubstep subforum) but those are simply too fickle as well and now seeing how rarely those topics come up in earnest, imagine that same lost of momentum with a subforum. And topics like the Ghost Box thread or the vaporwave thread more or less sustain themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

I was more talking about the 10 sub-subforums with hundreds(?) of threads each dedicated to electronic music artists in the "Featured Artists" subforum.

i'm having a hard time finding a new post.

The whole point of having Featured Artist subforums (besides their pioneering careers and prolific output and back catalogue) was not only for more focused discussion of said artists and their output, but when one of these artists released something, people would complain the forum would become clogged with multiple threads about the new album, tracks, etc. (this was way back when we only had one forum for all discussion), so we decided to break the Featured Artists off into their own subforums. For the most part, the setup was worked quite well and I don't see any compelling reason at this point to change things.

As mentioned above, some of the reasons for a musician to have their own sub-forum are:

• Their history within the electronic music scene
  • Their output and back catalogue
  • Their overall contribution to electronic music, and their impact upon it.
  • Their overall popularity here on WATMM (case in point... a lot of people like VSnares... after a long time of debating it, we established a VSnares sub-forum - Snares himself didn't want a sub-forum on WATMM, so we disbanded it.
  • Cylob had a sub-forum, and like Snares, didn't want to be associated with WATMM, so we removed it. It didn't help that Cylob seemed to be moving away from music and more into programming/development, so one wonders how much longer he would have had a sub-forum here except perhaps in a historical context.

Some argue why µ-Ziq or Luke Vibert (or Clark) have subforums, despite not having any releases for some time - every artist goes through a lull (I'm looking at you, BoC), but because of their prior work, there is plenty to discuss, and lo and behold, µ-Ziq has new releases, as well under a new alias to boot. Ceephax being the most recent addition was due mostly due to demand by the community, but also the recognition that besides his prolific output, he makes some pretty good stuff, on par with his brother's. Clark is a prime example of how a relative newcomer to the electronic music scene can make an impact, and keep up with his contemporaries.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Sorry to double-post. But I'm wondering why Four Tet isn't on the list.

He's got a thread about being at least two different people so we've got that covered already

Archived