IGNORED

What does WATMM think about Prefuse 73 overall?

Jur

Guest jasondonervan

Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives, One Word Extinguisher and Folk Songs for Trains, Trees and Honey and EPs around that time really rocked my socks back in the day, but I swiftly lost interest for anything after that. Piano Overlord was alright I suppose, but was way overhyped back then.

I have One Word Extinguisher and Security screenings, both amazing records

the last one is my favorite, i never looked up the releases after that cause it had an awefull lot of "guests vocals", bet they are good though

great artist worthy of being on warp

He's been on a steady decline after the Extinguished Outtakes EP...the Ampexian album wasn't bad, but paled in comparison to the Outtakes EP. The Only She chapters was one of the worst albums I've ever heard and couldn't believe he thought it was a good idea to release it

I've seen him live three times - both times as Prefuse were terrible, as Savath & Savalas it wasn't too bad. 1st was in 2003 after he released One Word and the show was just...boring. Scott stood around and mashed buttons on his MPC and some other guy scratched records. 2nd was as Savath & Savalas and was decent. 3rd time was after Security Screenings came out and Scott played the drums and another guy played synth/sampler horribly.

I still think he's a talented producer and keep hoping he'll release something as amazing as One Word Extinguisher.

Guest Ron Manager

He's been on a steady decline after the Extinguished Outtakes EP...

Yeah, basically this. Vocal Studies, One Word Extinguisher and Extinguished are ridiculously good IMO, but after that I only find the odd song I dig... I have some of the early S&S stuff, which I quite like too. Nothing after Apropa't though.

He's been on a steady decline after the Extinguished Outtakes EP...the Ampexian album wasn't bad, but paled in comparison to the Outtakes EP. The Only She chapters was one of the worst albums I've ever heard and couldn't believe he thought it was a good idea to release it

I've seen him live three times - both times as Prefuse were terrible, as Savath & Savalas it wasn't too bad. 1st was in 2003 after he released One Word and the show was just...boring. Scott stood around and mashed buttons on his MPC and some other guy scratched records. 2nd was as Savath & Savalas and was decent. 3rd time was after Security Screenings came out and Scott played the drums and another guy played synth/sampler horribly.

I still think he's a talented producer and keep hoping he'll release something as amazing as One Word Extinguisher.

So much troof here. I listened to One Word last week (first time in ages) and forgot what a great album that is. Extinguished is the perfect companion ep to it, think I'll save that for later this week if I have the time to sparkdala. His Delarosa & Asora and early Savath & (not 'y') Savalas material still holds up quite well too. Liked Surrounded by Silence but most of his stuff after that has been pretty meh, Ampexian and that Japenese album were better but Only She Chapters was indeed terrible.

The P73 show I saw in boston sucked (pretty sure it was the Silence tour), all he did was play along on drums while dj nobody triggered his tracks on mpc, no interaction or even acknowledgement of the crowd either. Still one of the most wtf shows I've been too, and still want my money back.

I also get the impression that GSH is way sensitive to criticism and overcompensates with an I-don't-give-a-fuck front. Somewhere along the line he must've pissed off someone at Pitchfork too - that piano overlord album was well short of good but the he didn't deserve the full-on ass reaming they gave it (1.1 or something, lol).

Guest jasondonervan

Somewhere along the line he must've pissed off someone at Pitchfork too - that piano overlord album was well short of good but the he didn't deserve the full-on ass reaming they gave it (1.1 or something, lol).

3.0 - "So has this guy peaked early? Not at all; he just beatmakes like my buddy Matt plays "World of Warcraft": mindlessly and probably at the expense of more important shit, perhaps even actually shitting."

Sauce

I like him. Perfect for smoking something special in the park on a sunny afternoon. Talking about Extinguisher here though, don't know about the rest.

Edited by th555

nearly on the level of the idm godfathers

I agree with this but I also agree about a decline in quality. I liked Ampexian more than most maybe, it's a similar format to OWE, strange how people rag on the few releases in between for not being like OWE and then don't appreciate Ampexian. We'll never have another OWE, I'm ok with that as long as I enjoy what he puts out and generally, I do.

Only She Chapters was shit though and for an artist with so many aliases, this out of everything he's ever done should have had a different alias. Curious to revisit it some day though, maybe.

That Diamond whatever project was also awful.

I like Ampexian over everything else he's done because of the extremely experimental nature of it and short tracks. Amittedly OWE is the better album though.

Edited by Jur

His Delarosa & Asora releases are my favourite.. a shame that's the first incarnation he retired. When I got the Estrocaro EP in 2000 I really loved it; I thought OWE was pretty amazing at the time too. Of course, my interest waned rapidly & I never heard Security Screenings or anything subsequently released.

His Delarosa & Asora releases are my favourite.. a shame that's the first incarnation he retired. When I got the Estrocaro EP in 2000 I really loved it; I thought OWE was pretty amazing at the time too. Of course, my interest waned rapidly & I never heard Security Screenings or anything subsequently released.

Agony is defiantly a timeless album alright. You should still check out Ampexian though as many above posts can attest

That Diamond whatever project was also awful.
Haha I completely forgot about that turd

Did listen to his LPs and didn't like them. Did listen to him live and didn't like it. Same with Hudson Mohawke. I wonder how they got signed to WARP