IGNORED

What does WATMM think about Prefuse 73 overall?

Jur

He's good at what he does, but his melodies are pretty forgettable, unfortunately.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

I think that's pretty apt; as much as he collaborates he's too technical and self-absorbed for his own good.

I could not stand One Word Extinguisher and I don't understand the hype it got; but maybe I should listen to it again. Ampexian was cash but I like that ADD style of music which I believe turns many people off.

• 6 years later...
9 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Best P73 album for me

nice thanks, never heard this one before. I really like One Word Extinguisher and the EP that was associated with it that had a bunch of B sides. His Hip Hop sensibility is the bee's knees.

Edit: just checked streaming, and it looks like he released an LP this year called Fudge Beats, might give'r a listen today. 

Edited by Guest

Early stuff was amazing. Agreed he fell off bad. A Cloud Mireya super slept on. Still one of my favorite artists overall.

Also ❤️Machinedrum who started this style at the same time.

Delarosa + Asora stuff: 7/10
Folk Songs: 8/10
Vocal Studies: 10/10
92 v. 02 Collection: 10/10
One Word Extinguisher: 10/10
Extinguished: 10/10
Reads The Books: 8/10
Piano Overlord: 7/10
Surrounded by Silence: 10/10
A Cloud Mireya: 10/10
Security Screenings: 4/10
Preparations: 3/10
Ampexian: 8/10
Oversensitivity: 8/10
Only She Chapters: 3/10
Rivington Nao Rio: 7/10
Fudge Beats: 7/10

• Like 2

Sacrifices was the first thing he did in a long time to grab my attention, really good album (I think there was some discussion about it on this forum somewhere...)

Extinguished Outtakes is my favourite of his, so much tighter than the main album.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, onecaseman said:

Early stuff was amazing. Agreed he fell off bad. A Cloud Mireya super slept on. Still one of my favorite artists overall.

I don't think I ever heard the Oversensitivity EP associated with Ampexian (which I thought was a solid return to form). Have you heard Meditation Upon Meditations (The Japanese Diaries), also from 2009? I don't recall the details of its release, but it was on Beat Records in Japan and not on Warp - I didn't find out about it till 2 years later I think. Anyway I found it quite good, 8/10 like Ampexian.

I probably said it in this thread already but Diamond Watch Wrists with Zach Hill was terrible. The real turning point in my mind. 

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Sacrifices was the first thing he did in a long time to grab my attention, really good album (I think there was some discussion about it on this forum somewhere...)

Extinguished Outtakes is my favourite of his, so much tighter than the main album.

Damn I never got around to Sacrifices. Probably because I thought Rivington Não Rio and the 2 accompanying EPs were so boring. Although the samples sounded like an improvement over those. 

I've heard a few tracks from Fudge Beats that I passively enjoyed - nothing earth-shattering. I believe that's just the instrumentals release of the album Lady Parts, a collaboration with some dude named Michael Christmas. Project was called Fudge. The few tracks I heard from that didn't appeal to me, I'm sure I'd enjoy the instrumentals much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onecaseman said:

How is security screenings a 4 my man

On 11/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, sidewinder said:

I don't think I ever heard the Oversensitivity EP associated with Ampexian (which I thought was a solid return to form). Have you heard Meditation Upon Meditations (The Japanese Diaries), also from 2009? I don't recall the details of its release, but it was on Beat Records in Japan and not on Warp - I didn't find out about it till 2 years later I think. Anyway I found it quite good, 8/10 like Ampexian.

I probably said it in this thread already but Diamond Watch Wrists with Zach Hill was terrible. The real turning point in my mind. 

I did, but I don't remember it. I also don't remember the Ahmad Szabo stuff in general.

I forgot about Diamond Watch Wrists, but yes, it was very terrible.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:15 PM, Enthusiast said:

I am digging his Failing Institute stuff in a big way

Yep, all 3 releases are great!

• 2 years later...

I love his hip hop. I've been digging through his warp releases from ~20 years ago. He gets really moody beautiful elements.

security screenings: https://warprecords.bandcamp.com/track/matrimonioids-for-elivin-susana-estela

'92 vs '02: https://warprecords.bandcamp.com/track/love-you-bring

reads the books: https://warprecords.bandcamp.com/track/pagina-cinco

vocal studies: https://warprecords.bandcamp.com/track/smile-in-your-face & https://warprecords.bandcamp.com/track/point-to-b

• Like 1