IGNORED

What does WATMM think about Prefuse 73 overall?

Jur

What bonervan and everyone else said.

The funny thing about Prefuse is I can't personally point to a specific reason why his newer stuff leaves me cold. Usually it's pretty easy for me to decide why I like or do not like a certain album, but in this case, I wouldn't even say he's changed his sound all THAT much. It's just… the early stuff killed it, and recently it's just… not as good. Mysteriously so.

He made Vocal Studies, then One Word Extinguisher. Then he passed on the torch to FlyLo but makes music anyway.

This is a POSTfuse 73 world we're living in right now.

He's been on a steady decline after the Extinguished Outtakes EP...

Yeah, basically this. Vocal Studies, One Word Extinguisher and Extinguished are ridiculously good IMO, but after that I only find the odd song I dig... I have some of the early S&S stuff, which I quite like too. Nothing after Apropa't though.

this. I saw him and it was awful There was some drummer who literally could not even stay on point with the beat lol. Made all the worse for the fact that battles opened for him, and they are fucking insanely good musicians. Studio tracks are great though. He's just a big pussy when it comes to playing live, and seems completely unwilling to take any liberty with his music in a live context.

Think he went too far out on a limb and fell off.

Experimentation for it's own sake is like jerking off in a hall of mirrors.

The tracks need to 'sound good' at the end of the day, or you've lost the thread...

Oh yeah, he did great, GREAT stuff. Ampexian is really good too, but I think he spread himself a bit thin sort of like Omar Rodrguez Lopez.

First 2 albums and extinguished are modern classics... Amepexian was a good return to quallity, but Security Screenings and Preperations while still listenable don't have that same punch... Haven't really been able to get into The Only She Chapters, lot of experimentaion there without a lot to grab you. Haven't listened to much of his ther projects. I'm curious to see what his new label brings though.

Had a few good stoned driving times to Extinguished. This was during a time when I actually had a group of friends with similar musical interests. We would always purchase, rip and trade, or DL rip and trade. Prefuse and Savath projects came to me in that way and I was into them. Went to see him live in Austin in 04 (?) but I was fucked out of my head. All I remember is that he had a drummer and I was sitting slouched on a seat by the wall the whole time. I was into it.

One thing I stumbled on later was a project of his called "A Cloud Mireya" I have no idea how I got it but I really liked it (this is after sort of 'giving up' on prefuse after purchasing "Sounds of Silence" on a whim). I noticed it's not listed on his Wikipedia page and I haven't heard a lot of people mention it but it's become one of my favorites.

I'm a noob compared to everyone else here, I only took an interest when Ampexian came out and backtracked from there. I still love Ampexian and Forest of Oversensitivity, Meditation on Meditations is pretty decent too. The only album I've yet to like is The Only She Chapters. I'm clearly on my own in liking the Diamond Watch Wrists album though.

Edited by Caretstik

Guest jasondonervan

Currently listening to Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives for the first time in years, album still stands up nicely. Taking me right back to the summer of '01, the last summer before Geogaddi came along to perform a hostile take-over of hazy summer listening forever.

Currently listening to Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives for the first time in years, album still stands up nicely. Taking me right back to the summer of '01, the last summer before Geogaddi came along to perform a hostile take-over of hazy summer listening forever.

Amazing

This remix pretty much epitomizes everything awesome about prefuse when he was at the height of his creative powers:

This thread also inspired me to go back and check out the delarosa & asora eps Backsome and Crush The Sight-Seers, hard to believe he was making these 10+ years ago, stunning stuff.

Ampexian seems to get a sound applause on here surprisngly but I remember the majority of P73 listeners to be disappointed with it. I'd say it's up there with OWE and VS+UN personally. The short track structures catch my attention, skipping from one idea to the next.

Speaking of Prefuse 73 instantly makes me think of Dimlite, and vice-versa. Although i'd toe Dimlite just ahead in terms of personal listening choice.