IGNORED

Logic Pro X is out now!

kcinsu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

Odofy2W.png

The image is huge because I'm on a retina book. Compare that with the beautiful fader from pre-10

4KwuLFx.png

Which took up way less room and was much easier to read

I wonder how the varispeed is. Insane that most DAWs have no good varispeed.

I've just looked up what that is. Isn't that just changing the BPM of the whole track, like what almost all DAWs allow you to do ?!

For varispeed, you actually WANT pitch and time to be linked, just like on a tape deck. So you could, for example, pitch up your whole song +2. Or, down -3, sing some backing vocals, then back to 0 and you sound like Camille

Ah gotcha, the demo I saw seemed to just be tempo rather than pitch and tempo. Yeah newer builds of Buzz do that (and I think though haven't needed to use it, Reaper). I actually find it really useful as a compositional tool rather than (what I assume is meant for) performance - after a while of working on a track you become a little fatigued but as soon as I whack the track to -2 (Buzz treats the speed in semitones) it's like a brand new piece of music and you hear a whole load of new ideas/flaws etc. in the thing.

Guest cult fiction

Logic has supported both types of varispeed(pitch/time linked, pitch/time independent) since Logic Pro 9.

The pitch/time independent sounds like crap, like you'd expect.

Guest cult fiction

Track stacks are awesome and have been sorely needed, how they went 20 years without implementing them is a mystery.

Major bummer: To drag a region or selection and have it scroll you have carefully position your mouse near the edge of the window and be careful not to go too far. This hugely slows down my workflow - hopefully they fix it in 10.1.

was possibly going to pull the trigger on Logic X and got scared that like Final Cut X it won't have a save feature, please tell my fears are unsubstantiated. I actually had very blind faith in Apple at first when i started working on a new project in FInal Cut X, about 2 hours later i got the beach ball from hell, remained fully confident that since Final Cut X has NO SAVE button my project would be safe since it must auto save at very frequent intervals. and the smart programmers at apple wouldn't have removed your ability to manually save and leave you totally unprotected... I was totally wrong and completely fucked, pretty much 2 hours of work gone in a poof of smoke. Thanks Final cut X. At this i think as far as just a marketing strategy they should change it to Logic Pro 10, the 'X' iteration of Final Cut has an across the board bad reputation. I haven't met a single video producer who doesn't have actual hatred for it when its brought up. I'm an amateur when it comes to Final Cut, so I guess I wasn't as shocked as some others were when they basically merged Final Cut with Imovie. Luckily this time around it doesn't look like they've merged Garageband with Logic

nope, not that I can find. Final Cut X sent shockwaves through the pro video/audio user community in a way I have not seen since Apple bought Emagic. So even after watching all these enticing videos, the 'X' in the title is making me understandably a little hesitant.

OS X is supposed to have OS-wide document autosave and versioning now. So that is probably what they are using. Doesn’t surprise me that it corrupted your shit though.

You might try contacting Apple. They have always had cheap/free upgrade path in the past for new buyers of a previous version.

Also, given Apple's history of royally fucking up the first release of pro products, you might be glad you have Logic 9.

I emailed Apple eariler today asking if there was any way for me to upgrade to X since I bought 9 the day before X was released. Unfortunately, they won't let me upgrade which sucks SHIT, because now when I go to the App Store, go to My Purchases and click on Logic I get a notifcation that says, "This application is no longer available in the App Store", which means that I'll never ever be able to install Logic 9 again even though that was supposed to be the neat thing about the App Store.

Fuck that!

Guest cult fiction

was possibly going to pull the trigger on Logic X and got scared that like Final Cut X it won't have a save feature, please tell my fears are unsubstantiated. I actually had very blind faith in Apple at first when i started working on a new project in FInal Cut X, about 2 hours later i got the beach ball from hell, remained fully confident that since Final Cut X has NO SAVE button my project would be safe since it must auto save at very frequent intervals. and the smart programmers at apple wouldn't have removed your ability to manually save and leave you totally unprotected... I was totally wrong and completely fucked, pretty much 2 hours of work gone in a poof of smoke. Thanks Final cut X. At this i think as far as just a marketing strategy they should change it to Logic Pro 10, the 'X' iteration of Final Cut has an across the board bad reputation. I haven't met a single video producer who doesn't have actual hatred for it when its brought up. I'm an amateur when it comes to Final Cut, so I guess I wasn't as shocked as some others were when they basically merged Final Cut with Imovie. Luckily this time around it doesn't look like they've merged Garageband with Logic

Logic Pro X is really not that revolutionary - everything feels like an iteration. The new interface is more of a new skin with some stuff moved around. Saving works exactly the same.

It is under no circumstances another Final Cut Pro X. There are some rough edges(the dragging thing I mentioned earlier) but overall I'm already comfortable again and much prefer it to 9.

You might try contacting Apple. They have always had cheap/free upgrade path in the past for new buyers of a previous version.

Also, given Apple's history of royally fucking up the first release of pro products, you might be glad you have Logic 9.

I emailed Apple eariler today asking if there was any way for me to upgrade to X since I bought 9 the day before X was released. Unfortunately, they won't let me upgrade which sucks SHIT, because now when I go to the App Store, go to My Purchases and click on Logic I get a notifcation that says, "This application is no longer available in the App Store", which means that I'll never ever be able to install Logic 9 again even though that was supposed to be the neat thing about the App Store.

Fuck that!

That sucsk!!! App Store is very anti-consumer

I'll never ever be able to install Logic 9 again even though that was supposed to be the neat thing about the App Store.

Didn't even think about this. That TOTALLY blows. I was toying with the idea of trying this version of Logic, but meh (ease of install was high on my list of appealing features).

I wrote them another email asking if this means that I will no longer be able to download Logic 9 (I knew that I wouldn't, but I thought I would give it a try) since it's no longer available... and you know what, if the reply had been a simple "yes and fuck you - love, Tim", I would have been less pissed than I am reading this fucking automated crap. Every reply from that starts the same way, "Hi, I understand that you would like to know if you would be able to download Logic Pro 9 again." Listen, you fucking robot, you don't have to remind me of what I was asking you about. I usually don't complain about customer support because I've been there myself and it sucks shiiiiiit, but this is just ridiculous. I like the idea of just throwing new applications out on the App Store without a big fanfare or anything and I love the whole digitalization of all our media, but to actually remove the product that many people rely on as their backup installation is stupendously retarded. I wouldn't have been in this mess a couple of years ago unless I had been dumb enough to actually break the disc into pieces.

It would be the same if I had bought Star Trek on iTunes, and when Star Trek 2 comes out they would throw away the first one, because Star Trek 2 is the new one.

I'm not even sure if it would help if I continued fighting with this stupid chatbot.

My understanding, from hearing other stories like this, is that if you argue hard enough you should be able to get someone to help you out. I mean, you paid 200 bucks for LP9 and you can't install it. They should at least issue you a refund.

My understanding, from hearing other stories like this, is that if you argue hard enough you should be able to get someone to help you out. I mean, you paid 200 bucks for LP9 and you can't install it. They should at least issue you a refund.

Well, I have installed it, but I thought part of the idea of the App Store was that you would be able to install all your applications through there.

I've just sent them another email where I explain that no normal brick and mortar store would let their customers buy a product knowing that it will be replaced by a newer version the very next day and that their customers won't be able to reinstall their newly bought application ever again.

sounds pretty irritating, sorry you had to go through that. Your best solution is probably just to pirate or buy a used boxed version of Logic 9 off amazon or something.

I bought a copy of Halion 3 for MAc off amazon because Steinberg refuses to sell the old version now, and you're forced to use Halion 4 which has an interface I hate using. Nice thing about amazon is that they often will have education discounts of software and they don't seem to check to verify your educational status. I bought Halion this way for way cheaper than normal retail and it said before I ordered 'please fax your verification to amazon'. I didn't fax shit, still got the product authorized no problem.

sounds pretty irritating, sorry you had to go through that. Your best solution is probably just to pirate or buy a used boxed version of Logic 9 off amazon or something.

I bought a copy of Halion 3 for MAc off amazon because Steinberg refuses to sell the old version now, and you're forced to use Halion 4 which has an interface I hate using. Nice thing about amazon is that they often will have education discounts of software and they don't seem to check to verify your educational status. I bought Halion this way for way cheaper than normal retail and it said before I ordered 'please fax your verification to amazon'. I didn't fax shit, still got the product authorized no problem.

Hm, last time I got a reply back from customer support it didn't take them this long to write me back, so I hope that my email has actually reached a human being this time around.

But yeah, I don't really like to pirate stuff that I make money off, so...

Man, I wish they sold Logic on Amazon.

they have plenty of open box logic 9's for sale right now on amazon

they don't come cheap though - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002ISDD1K/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I guess if I were you I wouldn't see it as necessarily stealing since you bought version 9 unaware of the new upgrade and at least from a moral perspective, you rightfully deserve what you thought you were paying for regardless of Apple's bullshit practices. You paid for Logic 9 and got 10 instead, even if you were making money off of using a pirated Logic 9, you still paid for it so i don't personally see why it's a moral dilema. Apple is the one who jacked you, it's not like they'd make any money if you bought a used copy of 9 anyways.

Archived