IGNORED

Artists like Dabrye, Push Button Objects

yshf

Dabrye and PBO are two absolute favorites of mine, but I haven't yet been able to find any producers who share a similar glitchy, metallic, cut & paste style. Dabrye especially has influenced me massively with his unthinkably fresh beatwork, and the way he can seamlessly draw from IDM/ELM/Whatever the fuck its called elements.

Anyone else love these guys? And does anyone have any recommendations for similar artists? (also, where the fuck is Dabrye?)

Dabrye IS otherworldly, tru. Good call on the Pritchard stuff.

Other hip hoppy cut-up stuff I enjoy is… Funkstörung, maybe? They don’t sound THAT much like Dabrye, but I guess you could say (when they are in “hip hop” mode) they operate in the same general airspace?

Other than what's already been mentioned I'd recommend checking out caural (was on chocolate industries w/ PBO) and early machine drum (now you know, half the battle especially). Newer machinedrum is also good too - i.e. room(s) - but on an altogether different tip. According to his rbma mix/interview, it was the gescom remix of nonexistant by PBO that first inspired the machine drum project (dope ass track if you haven't already heard it)

(this is taken from the autechre radio mix, skip forward +1 min or so)

Lush! thanks everyone.

Jeebus, Gescom's Non-Existant rework is incredible..

Checking out Caural has been rewarding too. Stick to Modeling is a great track.

PBO is great, though I'm unaware of any works beyond Ghetto Blaster from 2003. Never heard of Dabrye tho - might have to check that shit out.

Dabrye IS otherworldly, tru. Good call on the Pritchard stuff.

Other hip hoppy cut-up stuff I enjoy is… Funkstörung, maybe? They don’t sound THAT much like Dabrye, but I guess you could say (when they are in “hip hop” mode) they operate in the same general airspace?

Funkstörung filled much of my memory of my senior year of high school, especially their album Appetite for Disctruction. I think they were pretty much done when Fakesch and DeLuca broke up tho.

For those interested in checking out Dabrye, I recommend One/Three over Two/Three to start. I fell in love with One/Three instantly but Two/Three took quite awhile before I got the feel for it (not quite as good overall IMO).

some general favorites:

Edit: Oh shit, and this beast here

Good luck tracking down instrmntl though... :sad:

you're welcome

shitshitshitshit this is fantastic.

haha yea the man behind Harmonic 313 is actually Mark Pritchard - who's been around forever in some of my favorite groups with Tom Middleton - Global Comm / Jedi Knights etc. And i really liked his Harmonic 33 project - so when Harmonic 313 came out I had to listen! My first thought was actually - wow this actually sounds ALOT like Dabrye.

Should also check out Fulgeance - really really underated.

you're welcome

shitshitshitshit this is fantastic.

haha yea the man behind Harmonic 313 is actually Mark Pritchard - who's been around forever in some of my favorite groups with Tom Middleton - Global Comm / Jedi Knights etc. And i really liked his Harmonic 33 project - so when Harmonic 313 came out I had to listen! My first thought was actually - wow this actually sounds ALOT like Dabrye.

Should also check out Fulgeance - really really underated.

All sounds excellent, thanks!

I like Mux Mool, but he and Dabrye aren't really alike. Also I found Planet High School to be a complete disappointment. Skulltaste is one of my fav albums though.

Never heard of Mike Slott or Mono/Poly (only the synth) but I'll check em out further. Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Shit, there's a 3/3!!  And DOOM & Ghost rhymes on it too, fuck yeuh.  Will definitely be getting that.

I was just listening to Samiyam's excellent Pizza Party EP the other day and was thinking how much I missed me some dabrye.

this bumps:

Bonus classic dabrye for the heads

Archived