Hope this wasn't already posted...

We all know Detroit has fallen on hard times. No other city in North America, maybe even the world, has seen the amount of decline in recent decades that Detroit has.

I found this site with ton of photos that show just what kind of state Detroit is in!

Some amazing photos.

Discuss!

http://zfein.com/photography/detroit/

There are some really amazing photos in there.

There are even some pretty Most IDM abandoned skyscrapers.

Also please link to sites or photographs that you've found that capture just how f'ed up Detroit is!

beautiful shots. so post apocalyptic, desolate and mysterious... what i love about these kinds of environments of vast emptiness is the infinite potential for new beginnings.

Agreed! I especially enjoy the "urban meadows" shots, where it looks like whole communities are overgrown and reclaimed by nature. It brings to mind pictures of pripyat Ukraine....

beautiful shots. so post apocalyptic, desolate and mysterious... what i love about these kinds of environments of vast emptiness is the infinite potential for new beginnings.

Agreed! I especially enjoy the "urban meadows" shots, where it looks like whole communities are overgrown and reclaimed by nature. It brings to mind pictures of pripyat Ukraine....

yesss! so cool.. like i imagine there will soon be greenery and vines enveloping the structures, the earth taking it all back. so lovely

Detroit's a strange place. My brother lived there for many years, he would have me over to go on photo excursions all over. In the photography and urban exploration circles Detroit is the holy grail, but at some point it just feels like an exploitation of the struggles of a cities populace. It's a shame because I have fond memories going there, but I guess that's what happens when a city's sustainability relies on a single industry (and a lot of really fucked up politicians).

Some random stuff;

church

7_ryersongallerprint.jpg

7_dsc1030.jpg

7_churchside2.jpg

_DSC1149.jpg

church2.jpg

gym.jpg

hotel

7_dsc1180.jpg

hotel4.jpg

united artist building

DSC_000823.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

police station (it had a fully stocked evidence room. all the items were left. there were massive shelves full of knives organized according to size. a few segas and nintendos, some other stuff. there were also case files and mugshots all over the floors)

entrance.jpg

shit2.jpg

criminalsss.jpg

snake plissken, ninjas have kidnapped the president

they are holding him in abandoned penthouse in detroit

oh yeah. there are bombs everywher

r u a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

I bet none of you would think they were so beautiful if you had to walk by houses like that on your way to school and there were crackheads living in them. And I say this as an enthusiastic practicer of urban exploration. When I see decaying city infrastructure I think, oh shit, I'm probably going to get stabbed.

anyone remember a lil thing called 'slum tourism' ?

• 2 weeks later...

Those photos are as haunting as they are inspiring. Reminds me of movies like I Am Legend and games based on post-apocalypse themes.

Some other real-world examples of abandoned 20th century infrastructure are some amusement parks in Japan, abandoned Olympic sites, and Pripyat in northern Ukraine, which was evacuated after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Makes me wonder what's in store for Detroit's future. Looks barely inhabitable, judging by the photos.

Archived