IGNORED

Quick question: what would you do?

goDel

what do you do when people take you more serious than intended? (or in a metaphor: how to flow when the waves seem to crash)

a. explain yourself (result: prolly being a lameass)

b. "use" it and make people look stupid - even though there might be no-one to catch your drift

c. just suck it up and let that other reality take over existence

d. dunno

e. depends...<insert text>

lets say you're doing small talk and stuff.

ima gonna think about some situation and what i'd do after i get back from work. in the meantime i expect people to post some inane banter in this thread.

don't disappoint me please.

Guest RadarJammer

definitely the bruce lee approach. use whatever technique you can to avoid making those waves or settle them quickly

You mean if people are being overly sensitive?

I think it depends on vocal tone or body language in the physical/psychological sense. It seems to be harder to detect in typed messages and can therefore be more easily taken out of context I think.

I used to get this all the time.

Me: Van Halen is the hardest rock band in the world, man!

Some guy: Um.. No, it's not.

Well, better let them think I'm a VH fan than some weirdo listening to random electronic noise.

You: Hey, man- do you know what time it is?

Them: Time...? TIIIME?!?!?! You think this is a fucking JOKE?!?!?! All time is in the infinite now, and you're asking me WHAT TIME IT IS?!?!?! Who the FUCK do you think you are?!?!?!?! TIME?!?!?!

definitely the bruce lee approach. use whatever technique you can to avoid making those waves or settle them quickly

Bruce Lee is the man! 10 bonus points fro bringing Bruce into the thread.

What do you think of the new Ip Man movie?

You mean if people are being overly sensitive?

I think it depends on vocal tone or body language in the physical/psychological sense. It seems to be harder to detect in typed messages and can therefore be more easily taken out of context I think.

Yeah. Overly sensitive, I guess.

I still can't think of a good situation, but in general I come across as pretty rational and straightforward, I guess. To the point where people think I don't care about their feelings. Although I can often read where they're going emotionally pretty quick (not always why obviously). But whenever talking and just throwing some things out there, you sometimes get a response where people basically assume the worst intentions and what not. Like I was intentionally saying something to insult them, even though I meant nothing of the sort.

Sometimes it's just a game. You know, women.... Like they act they're insulted just to check whether or not I care. Those little minxes. And other times it's a complete "WTF, why would you even assume that!?". Often I see people just giving a look like that without addressing it. And that's where the shit stirs. There you've got an option to just go towards a different story, or go for the (soft) confrontation. Personally, I'd prefer the second, and when you meet someone who appreciates the same it's all smooth sailing from than on. But if the person doesn't appreciate it....oowww lordy... then it gets complicated pretty quick.

How do you Bruce Lee your way out of those situations?

really can't say without more details on content and context.

did you insult someone or just say something dumb?

Both. Probably. I mean, I can't think of situations where I didn't insult anyone and didn't say something dumb.

You: Hey, man- do you know what time it is?

Them: Time...? TIIIME?!?!?! You think this is a fucking JOKE?!?!?! All time is in the infinite now, and you're asking me WHAT TIME IT IS?!?!?! Who the FUCK do you think you are?!?!?!?! TIME?!?!?!

We need to travel together sometime. Sounds like fun! :D

I like how peace has intigrated so quickly into watmm Like a designer baby heading for the dux of school. (this is not a criticism, peace knows already that i'm nice and not generally a prick. And by designer baby, i mean like in the futuristic sense, not like it's wearing prada pumps.)

Had to read that twice before realising you were talking about "peace, the member", instead of "peace, the infinite interbellum".

It's weird that this thread got created, because i was thinking about this at work last night, or was it the night before. Whether to use a misunderstanding of tone as a way to pressure people, control them. It's not something i would do, but i was thinking about it's possibilities. My boss does this, will say something innocuous in an alarming tone, leaves you on edge. Well until i realised what he was doing and started calling him out on it. He still does this, but i no longer care.

I used to get myself in this situation with the in-laws all of the time. They moved out of town. Problem solved.

Try to get the people in question to move out of town.

It's weird that this thread got created, because i was thinking about this at work last night, or was it the night before. Whether to use a misunderstanding of tone as a way to pressure people, control them. It's not something i would do, but i was thinking about it's possibilities. My boss does this, will say something innocuous in an alarming tone, leaves you on edge. Well until i realised what he was doing and started calling him out on it. He still does this, but i no longer care.

Yeah, it gets kinda interesting at work. You can see other people going at it which adds another perspective. All those silly games and politics on the workfloor. Especially when newer people come in to play. When all those silly power-hungry dorks need to reestablish themselves.

It's pretty tiresome as well. I can be pretty naive when it comes to reading peoples intentions, even if i know what kind of fucked up idiots they can be. So it's not unusual my spider senses go all over the place, but my mind says: nah, it's prolly something else.

But we've already established that spider sense are not enough and Bruce Lee senses are the way to go.

There are two ways of dealing with this, and I think you gotta take either one of those to the extreme. A little bit :P

Extremes?

I tend to just let things be how they end up. More interesting to just let whatever I said that was misinterpreted stay out there without clarification or explanation. In the past I've always overexplained everything and just ended up looking and feeling lame and insecure.

No, I'm not a dick and I do care if I offend people and will apologize if I'm being a dick.

But if I say something light hearted that's obviously in jest and they take it so seriously and get all butthurt instead of just saying "listen Stephen, I didn't appreciate the way you said that" or otherwise give me an opportunity to apologize or whatever, I let them deal with it.

So many people are uptight and stiff, I can't be bothered to tread lightly all the time. I am who I am and if these people don't like a little joke once and a while, they can be that way. Just away from me. lol

Avoid them.

Them?

People in general, or just women? ;D

Everyone you've ever insulted or who has misunderstood anything you've ever ever said.

This could get pretty lonely so buy a cat/dog (never speak to it or this will have to go too).

Archived