IGNORED

So which watmmer's still dislike TCH?

beerwolf

Still scared to listen to this album. I decided it was a winter album, after having so many mixed feelings about it when it finally came out. Then, last week, I was in my car driving, and the track "Cold Earth" came on in a compilation cd I forgot I made for drives a while back. Sounded incredible that day, but I'm still waiting for two things. 1. I need the effect of that over hyped promotion to wear off my psyche, and 2, I need some Autumn/Winter weather. Hoping to enjoy this album more in a month or so.

winter album. no doubt in my mind.

Yep. It's over. I really wish they had never made this album.

wigger.jpg

LOL!! I'm such a mess. Oh well. Shows how much I really wanted to like it. There are actually 5 good tracks on the album for me.

1.Nothing is real

2.Come to Dust

3.Semena Mertvykh

4.Cold Earth

5.Reach for the Dead

But it doesn't work as an album... at least not a Boards of Canada album.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest transmisiones ferox

I find this album to be very romantic, it evokes fantasies of the future. AND some of parts of the album are more downs, some beautiful, but I can tell the same about every BOC album, so I think this album is as good as others Boc album.

winter album. no doubt in my mind.

This is exactly how I feel. Have not connected with it at all, given we have had a relatively nice summer by British standard. I said right from the start that this should have been released in November.

I still dont dig this album, I can tell a lot of work has been put into it and I like a few of the tunes, but I find myself getting restless about 1/3 of the way in and I have to switch off and listen to something else.

5/10

Good effort, but maybe i'll enjoy it more on a snowy Sunday morning.

*edit*

Also... unlucky releasing this in 2013. Probably won't make my top 20 AOTY list.

Yep. It's over. I really wish they had never made this album.

Harsh to say, but I feel the same. Can't exactly say it tarnishes their legacy, but it does feel stale and uninspired to me. I have no desire to revisit it.

I really just dig just one track, kind of appreciate two others and the rest sound good as perhaps movie trailers.

Was let down by this album. I thought something was wrong with me and have been keeping away from the forums as a result.

There's nothing wrong with you. There are many of us who feel the exact same way. I only hope all the praise this album received hasn't spoiled them for good.

I'd really like to agree with you but i'm not sure I can fit my head that far up my own arse.

There's nothing wrong with you. There are many of us who feel the exact same way. I only hope all the praise this album received hasn't spoiled them for good.

I'd really like to agree with you but i'm not sure I can fit my head that far up my own arse.

hey, aren't you the same beerwolf who's posting in the Exai thread, in the minority of people who don't like the album?

The praise was absolutely out of proportion, though. What we got sounds like older tracks dressed in slightly different clothing but much less engaging and a kind of apocalyptic narrative talked about in interviews that is like a necessary supplement to the music and is meant to prop it up and give some context, substance, fill the void. Some flavor or something. Shit's bland. The actual music doesn't have the muscle to carry it. It's kinda limp. You hear a track on here and it's like "yeah... no shit Boards of Canada... people are doing that a lot better." That's why lots of people don't like it.

The praise was absolutely out of proportion, though. What we got sounds like older tracks dressed in slightly different clothing but much less engaging and a kind of apocalyptic narrative talked about in interviews that is like a necessary supplement to the music and is meant to prop it up and give some context, substance, fill the void. Some flavor or something. Shit's bland. The actual music doesn't have the muscle to carry it. It's kinda limp. You hear a track on here and it's like "yeah... no shit Boards of Canada... people are doing that a lot better." That's why lots of people don't like it.

Australian ARIA Albums Chart 24

Belgian Albums Chart 7

Canadian Albums Chart 33

Danish Albums Chart 23

Dutch Albums Chart 19

Finnish Albums Chart 28

German Albums Chart 52

Irish Albums Chart 7

Japanese Oricon Albums Chart 27

New Zealand RIANZ Albums Chart 26

Norwegian Albums Chart 9

Scottish Albums Chart 4

Swedish Albums Chart 32

Swiss Hitparade Albums Chart 35

UK Albums Chart 7

UK Dance Albums Chart 3

UK Indie Chart 1

US Billboard 200 13

US Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums 2

US Billboard DIgital Albums 8

US Billboard Independent Albums 2

US Billboard Tastemaker Albums 3

are my eyes deceiving me or did I just see mdg posting a list of chart positions for TH?

was that in an attempt to confirm the claim of widespread album praise, or debunk it? *Ponders*

Either way, chuckle.

hey, aren't you the same beerwolf who's posting in the Exai thread, in the minority of people who don't like the album?

I figured you would pipe in Oscillik lol, I knew you would and I knew you would reference my Exai posts.

I think the sequence of acroyears posts seem slightly bizarre, they seem to take a similar note to yours. Giving it the big one about your precious opinion on BoC. Somehow building it up to some big event when both of you were finally going to grace BOC with your time. You know exactly what I mean. I somehow could see for miles that you would hate the new BOC album, I could read it in the tea leaves.

Either way my negative post towards Exai, aren't arrogant unlike the anti-BOC comments in fact I am polite and I give Autechre the benefit of the doubt.

It seemed to me acroyear played it once and then came immediately on here to slag them off, which is fucking ridiculous. I dunno maybe its me but I sense some Autechre fanboys have issues with Boards of Canada which is really funny lol. That may be my imagination. Either way I don't do arguments at the best of times. And this one ends here. Thank you.

holy shit! hi angry system blower control!

although charts are hillariously retarded, i'm glad the new boc got the attention it deserved, it's a good record

with all respect i honestly don't understand people who don't like it or are dissapointed, grow some feelings guice

if there are so many better albums released right now i'd like to hear them

except for geogaddi i'm not a diehard fan but i will instantly buy a new record of them, keep em coming bod!

I just wanted to pipe up about the whole "does the album deserve the praise or not?" thing: it absolutely does. It rocks, plain and simple. I just hope to see more from them again soon.

I figured you would pipe in Oscillik lol, I knew you would and I knew you would reference my Exai posts.

I think the sequence of acroyears posts seem slightly bizarre, they seem to take a similar note to yours. Giving it the big one about your precious opinion on BoC. Somehow building it up to some big event when both of you were finally going to grace BOC with your time. You know exactly what I mean. I somehow could see for miles that you would hate the new BOC album, I could read it in the tea leaves.

Either way my negative post towards Exai, aren't arrogant unlike the anti-BOC comments in fact I am polite and I give Autechre the benefit of the doubt.

It seemed to me acroyear played it once and then came immediately on here to slag them off, which is fucking ridiculous. I dunno maybe its me but I sense some Autechre fanboys have issues with Boards of Canada which is really funny lol. That may be my imagination. Either way I don't do arguments at the best of times. And this one ends here. Thank you.

What is this? I'm not sure what this is about. You keep insulting me both directly, and indirectly... head up his ass, arrogant, disrespectful, fan boy, etc... I don't understand. I gather you and Oscilik don't get along. That's fine, but I'm not him. Furthermore, I did not just finally listen to this album once, and immediately write it off. I've heard this album MANY MANY times. I liked it at first listen, but it faded fast, that's all. This isn't fun for me, because I wanted to LOVE this album. I love BoC. I just cannot get with this one. This thread invited people to express that they aren't happy with the album. I'm one of them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

When I loose my rag, which is rare, I loose it proper lol.

At the end of day I come on here to talk about music, which is escapism for me. I don't want any shitfight or bad feelings between us, as this is a corner of my universe where I want peace. I just think BOC have just made a brilliant album and some people want to somehow upstage it with their elitist opinions. Thats what I think. I'm also aware when i'm pissed off I make mountains out of molehills.

Acroyear I apologise if I seemed aggressive towards you. Your posts in this thread just seemed to wind me up, I still stand by that but lets forget it and move on.

Have a good weekend :beer:

Thank you Beerwolf!! I'm happy we can differ in opinion, and move on. Sorry I wound you up, I get passionate about music as well. I assure you, I gave the album a good chance. I just decided to give it a break, and try it in the Autumn, with no luck.. Blah, blah, blah... right? We don't have to agree. Thanks for the reply. :beer:

Guest Gravity

Does someone remember the Background-picture with a jeep surrounded by snow on their youtube page ?

sorry for the off topic but i need this pic !

Couldn't find it through google or bocpages, a small cropped version of it is in the TH booklet though.

R-4548231-1370710438-6625.jpeg

Archived