IGNORED

So which watmmer's still dislike TCH?

beerwolf

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's not like I need the most complex abstract in-your-face, weird for the sake of being weird music. I mostly listen to hip hop at the moment. Some music could just use a swift kick in the pants, that's all.

Whether or not we like a given album probably says more about us than the music.

Assuming artists are infallible geniuses with windows into OUR souls specifically and not theirs. You're putting it on a pedestal.

I'm just saying in general. We are much more variable than a fixed work. The work will not change put our perception of it will, depending on our current mental sum.

I mostly listen to hip hop at the moment.

That might be true. It could be there were some tracks left off the album that pointed to a more fleshed out BoC and that they were sacrificed for the concept. As artists' careers go on, lots of times they are less concerned with "wowing" you and more about a certain presentation. I hope they don't leave so much on the cutting room floor next time, if that's what happened.

I seem to recall in a TH-related interview that they left quite a few tracks on the floor... coupled with the rumours before the release it was possibly going to end up as a double disc release...

Whether or not we like a given album probably says more about us than the music.

Assuming artists are infallible geniuses with windows into OUR souls specifically and not theirs. You're putting it on a pedestal.

I'm just saying in general. We are much more variable than a fixed work. The work will not change put our perception of it will, depending on our current mental sum.

Judging by BoC's music, they've listened to quite a bit of hip hop themselves. In fact, BoC's sound is now just a tiny part of what an enormous variety hip hop encompasses. Educate yourself.

That might be true. It could be there were some tracks left off the album that pointed to a more fleshed out BoC and that they were sacrificed for the concept. As artists' careers go on, lots of times they are less concerned with "wowing" you and more about a certain presentation. I hope they don't leave so much on the cutting room floor next time, if that's what happened.

I seem to recall in a TH-related interview that they left quite a few tracks on the floor... coupled with the rumours before the release it was possibly going to end up as a double disc release...

Well let's hope they don't sell themselves so short next time.

I hardly think they "sold themselves short" with Tomorrow's Harvest... I firmly believe they released the record they wanted to release. Nothing more, nothing less.

Judging by BoC's music, they've listened to quite a bit of hip hop themselves. In fact, BoC's sound is now just a tiny part of what an enormous variety hip hop encompasses. Educate yourself.

I just wanted to see some type of response that would illicit. Of course i know that BoC and hiphop are very related and most of the beats on mhtrtc are hip hop beats.

I hardly think they "sold themselves short" with Tomorrow's Harvest... I firmly believe they released the record they wanted to release. Nothing more, nothing less.

But what if Nothing Is Real?

I think it was a very complete record as well. It's fair to say it's too concept-oriented (I'm always wary of concept albums myself). But I would imagine there would of been backlash if they hadn't made something as cohesive from fans who wanted more of the layered references and mystery. If it was just 12 or so "solid" tracks it would of probably felt too much like a unreleased compilation or outtakes collection.

I just wanted to see some type of response that would illicit. Of course i know that BoC and hiphop are very related and most of the beats on mhtrtc are hip hop beats.

I realized this as Tomorrow's Harvest was getting hyped. Someone on AV Club said they never got into MHTRTC because it was too riddled with Mo'Wax and Ninja Tune sounding turtablism and trip-hop, and at first I scoffed but he had a point. Some bits in there are pretty dated. I could easily see someone lumping some MHTRTC tracks with sounds used in say, Endtroducing or Psyence Fiction.

just wanted to stop by again and let everyone know that I listened to bits of the album again and I still dislike it.

will return with more updates in future

I honestly think if this album were made under a different name, it wouldn't get as much praise.

I agree in the sense that the title sounds too optimistic in comparison with the mood of the music.

Depends how you look at it I suppoze

I honestly think if this album were made under a different name, it wouldn't get as much praise.

I agree in the sense that the title sounds too optimistic in comparison with the mood of the music.

Depends how you look at it I suppoze

No, meaning the album wouldn't get such an enthusiastic response if it was released under a different artist's name. If you played it to the fans two months before its release without any explanation, nobody would think it's the long-awaited BoC album.

I've given this album a long time and lots of listens. Overall, I feel like it is one of their weakest releases. It has a stale feeling, like they had an idea of what they should be making and just stuck to that. It feels like they have already done that dark, dusty memory thing before, keeping to their Boards of Canada guns. Most tracks mush together to form a blob of a memory of this album... lots of filler tracks that I felt were support for this apocalyptic vibe they were exploring. I was hoping after years in recluse they would have something fresh and perhaps inventive for them. Most of the tracks felt like filler, like I was waiting for that moment. That moment did come, and it is an exception I hold to this album...

Jacquard Causeway is absolutely beautiful and heart piercing, one of the only tracks that I feel is devoid of any cheesy emotion and is coursing with pure feeling, hitting me on a deep and profound level. To me it is the one track that doesn't SHOW me the ideas they had in mind, but instead sheds any preconception or thought I had about this album when I first heard it or even now. It is all enveloping and forces me to reflect inwardly as well as outwardly, towards conflicts of the world, human kind as a whole, and death. Like, goddamn... First time I heard this I was like ehhh at first and then slowly the track wrapped around me and totally put me in my place. Boards of Canada has done this to me before, maybe with Sixtyniner or something, but never as intensely as this. Maybe someone else feels the same...

Cold Earth is an intermediate for me, just a good quality tune not too full of itself and hitting back on some nostalgic Boards of Canada memories for me.

Palace Posy sticks out like a sore thumb to me. This feels like an incredibly playful tune, bouncing along and grooving, just making me smile. Is it just me or does this not fit into the album at all?

Palace Posy DOES belong, if the whole theme centers on the end of civilization, and the reprise of agrarian tribal lifestyles.

That's what I got out of it, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

i finally admitted to myself the album is great but not on par with some of the other LPs.
All the ambient tracks in a play list is how im listening to it now, I hope they go in that direction with newer work

I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't like this album. It feels empty, there's nothing there for me to latch on to. I have zero motivation to listen to it, and when I do, it feels more like a chore than an escape.

• 6 years later...

interesting read. all these early impressions.

nowadays, i "quite" like the album. ;D

it's a good one. and kinda get where the negativity is coming from. to me, part of it is that the bar is simply so f-ing high it's almost impossible to satisfy. another part of it, is that BOC scores high on the nostalgia factor. and thats something which comes with time. by definition. it just takes time to get that nostalgia thing going. similarly, i remember not being blown away by mhtrtc initially either. that def changed over time.

i still don't rate th as good as mhtrtc though. but that might be my personal nostalgia. in terms of production i can def hear th was another step forward in their discography. very sophisticated stuff. early boc sound rough around the edges. newer boc sounds extremely slick. almost to the point that the "bite"  is completely under the radar. difference is obvious if you put twoism next to it, imo. twoism is rougher which appears as a bit of bite. but it's a naive kind of bite. th doesnt have that naivety. and the roughness is polished away. maybe the production is too good? too clinical? dunno. i def like it better nowadays.

th is def a worthy boc album. nothing to be ashamed about. and as far as i'm concerned, there is no bad boc album. took more time time to like campfire, but that one also fits in nicely with the rest.

On 12/8/2013 at 10:45 AM, Alcofribas said:

in 1998 when i was a teenager my cd stopped working and my dad gave me his old turntable to use until i could replace it. i quickly went out looking for records and on my first journey picked up a promo for mbm's "primate audio soup" and was fairly well blown away by the boc remix. at this time i was already getting into ae and aphex and was nominally familiar with boc since i had seen their peel sessions cd around and it looked a lot like the ae one which i loved (mind you, i had no idea what "peel sessions" meant). as soon as i got a new cd player i went to this little cd store in chicago that had all these warp imports and found MHTRTC. what's this? brail? wow, the faces are missing, how intriguing. got home, put it on and was completely amazed. completely. at the time i had read about Cato's notorious overuse of "carthago delendo est" and jokingly concocted my own version amongst friends, ending many of my sentences with "you MUST check out boards of canada." i vividly remember the only surprise party i ever had, conceived by a young lady with whom i was madly in love. my friend was supposed to keep me busy before hand and allow people to show up and prepare, so he took me by the river and got stoned as fuck. then, having lost track of time, he took me to the italian restaurant where they had rented the room for my party, only we were so briefly down at the river that still no one had arrived yet when we got there. i was stoned out of my head, going through boc in my imagination, wondering why on earth my friend took me to this italian restaurant after basically forcing me to smoke weed, and then being utterly amazed that practically everyone i knew started showing up. what a coincidence! and at this random italian place we've never gone to! how quaint! this weed is amazing! i'm amazing! you're all so lovely! took me a while before i was like "wait, is this a surprise party?" anyway, after the whole night, which concluded with a sweetly awkward hug with the aforementioned young lady which painfully did not include a kiss of any kind, i rushed home still fairly high and put on "hi scores." a blissful blue feeling washed over me, nothing was quite like the crunchy, dark beats of boc, the fading emotion of their melodies. it spoke to me in such an intimate way. boc was with me during this era of my life when i was discovering electronic music for the first time, falling in love for the first time, going to italian restaurants for the first time. everything you do is a balloon was almost too painfully beautiful for me and whenever i listened to it my gut would wrench. when i started making my own music i wanted to evoke these feelings.

cut to a few years later when geogaddi comes out. i have my own place, a tiny garrett apartment with sloping ceilings so that you could only stand up perfectly straight in the center of the rooms. my friend wants me to come by his dorm room and have some drinks so i decide to bring the new boc just in case. we have some drinks and put on the record but after the first song i decide i can't continue since i feel i need to hear it for the first time on forever-alone-headphones. his roommate, a film student, suggests i use his headphones and he will film me experiencing teh boc for the first time. faithfully assuming the dragon asana which i had learned from a crowley book, head adorned with speakers, i sat in perfect utter stillness for music is math. my mind is blown. is that an 808 kick? on a boc track? lush pads! classic boc bass! omg vocodor vocals!! "the past inside the present!" what does it meeaan?? thoroughly convinced the video footage must be a complete masterpiece of musical transcendence i was amazed to find the roommate annoyed. "DO SOMETHING!" he commands. confusedly i take a lighter from the table near by and set fire to a paper towel. noticing his interest i decide to outdo myself and light the whole roll while unfurling the towels into a giant heap. like a bonfire. was this a proto-campfire headphase? i think so. but suddenly the fire is seeming like it's getting out of control. the flames are almost licking the ceiling. my friend splashes a pathetic glass of water on the fire to no effect. the filmaker is aroused and after pouring his beer into the smoldering bonfire smashes the bottle into it. now i'm totally frightened bc it seems obvious the entire building is going to burn to the ground. my friend ups the anty and empties the complete contents of his brita carafe onto the criminal flames. nothing. i manage to dampen some towels with which we successfully relinquish the color of the fire, terminating its very existence. our hearts raced as we cracked open beers and hearty laughter commenced as we reflected upon our dangerous adventure and subsequent achievement. fucking geogaddi man.

years passed and TCH came out. i had a listening party with some watmmers (skytree lol) and we had a lovely evening. despite the lushness of some of the tracks and my overall sense of admiration for the tunes, i can't say this album ever broke into the sacrosanct realms of previous boc musics. i enjoyed it but no flames were unleashed, no italian establishments were intoxicatingly occupied by the complete edition of my friends. so this one passed over me somewhat and i never truly connected with it, nor did it connect with me.

many more years passed and now i am in my 30s (fml). it's like i've lived a lifetime. a new boc comes out. wow. seriously, i kind of never thought this would happen. i spent a fair amount of my shift at work refreshing that fucking bleep page trying to preorder this shit. success at last! NO FUCKING WAY. NEW BOC. i follow all the hype and find that this is indeed a nice little adventure back to the company of my old mystic gurus on the astral plane, the boc brothers. finally it arrives. and i realize, i'm 31. when i first heard boc i was 16. hearing the music was something like seeing your best friend from school after many years of hearing nothing from each other. you've lived your life, so much has happened, how can you ever truly convey the substance of all those years to this person? how can you ever traverse the void and rekindle the geogaddi flames of intimacy, inspiration and mutual awe? and you are confounded by how similar they are and it reminds you of how you once were, which is confusing and somewhat painful. the vibrant and ripe years of your youth have faded and somehow this character from that era can only really disappoint you. bc, that era is gone and right now you feel you need something else, something NOW. sure, sometimes you meet an old friend and it's just like old times but sometimes you just can't escape feeling like your meeting is unnatural or unreal, like you're visiting across time and thus can't truly connect.

is TH a good album? hell yeah! but sadly for me i think those profound early years of boc were sealed off in a way, perhaps bc while i continued on my journey i did so without boc there with me. sure, i had the old albums but the longer time went on the more fixed they became in that early era, which became an epoch unto itself with no strand of new material to connect it to the present. so now, new boc feels like an anachronism. i enjoy the music and continue to have the utmost respect for the boys, my astral gurus. perhaps i shall simply need more time to let the new music flow into my life, who knows. but for now i can only say that while TH is a lovely album indeed, nevertheless for me it feels untimely and incongruous with my emotional landscape.

10/10

6 years later i'd like to elaborate: i've since had some really powerful journeys with TH and for me personally it is second only to MHTRTC. 

long like the brothers, the men.

Archived