IGNORED

So which watmmer's still dislike TCH?

beerwolf

TH seems a lot more conceptual and bleakly intelligent' then both MHTRTC & geo which could come across as being very cold & un-organic which i think is in keeping with the changing states of today especially environmentally. these slight different dimensions to boc like with TCH are really interesting,.... also everytime i listen to TH it's really hypnotising in the best way possible and feels like one long track rather then an album, i just wish they quietly released it rather than the marketing campaign which was special to begin with but then just had a meltdown, warp take note

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think if this album were made under a different name, it wouldn't get as much praise.

Yeah, I think it would of been as positive actually but way less hype and attention. Like, one of those Pitchfork high 7 or low 8 reviews that isn't accompanied by "BNM" or some payola campaign or a very well written review in FACT or RA but far less attention on the indie blogs. It's just Boards of Canada have probably been cited as many times in reviews (much like J Dilla is) as much in the last year than as an influence as they were for simply putting out a new album. Praise was inevitable.

also everytime i listen to TH it's really hypnotising in the best way possible and feels like one long track rather then an album, i just wish they quietly released it rather than the marketing campaign which was special to begin with but then just had a meltdown, warp take note

I agree. But honestly, I really have to say I liked the campaign a lot. That streaming experience (all those on chattm know) was memorable and fun. If there wasn't a ridiculous campaign this would of been a flash-in-the-pan because of the superficial state of social media. It was far more sincere and organic than all that shit surrounding Yeezus and Random Access Memories.

in a way there is so much new music these days that if it doesn't agree with you then u will move on to the next album of whatever, george venetian micheals, lone's, modeselckotors greatest hits etc.....

lol "modeselckotors"

put me in the unimpressed camp. I think it's their weakest effort to date. I don't think I'd put any of the tracks on a "best of" BoC list. Well, maybe "Sick Times". I was also upset by the heavy sampling on several tracks. "This track has a nice melody...oh, it's Vangelis...hmm, this track sounds good too...oh, it's Mark Isham"

I guess I do give them credit for picking a new "theme" and doing their best to stick with it, though. Hope I like the next theme better. I think I prefer BoC when they're trying to be intimate, personal, and quirky, rather than grandiose.

I'm all over the place with this album. At the end of the day though, I currently just think they overthought/overproduced this album. And the end-result is some middle of the road BOC album. Which is still good and all, but it has way more potential, imo.

One example is the order of the tracks. It's so overcooked. They obviously thought this through meticulously and all, but that's just the point. It sucks out all the spontaneity and the emotions it evokes tend to be controlled robot emotions. Putting this album on shuffle already improves this (New Seeds would be a far better second track imo).

I still think it's well crafted and deserves more listening. It'll be better over time, I'm sure as well. But as an album, no. Individual tracks maybe even better than the whole. How's that for a plot twist?

I feel like underrating it, but with a good point....

Hi Mark! Marcus, pls.

edit: the first 3 tracks just suck together as an opener, imo. It kinda ruins it. Reach for the Dead deserves it's own EP. Kinda like Hi Scores.

I think you're onto something. Radiohead tends to be overly self-conscious too, and when I make a random playlist of them, the tracks have so much more of an effect. You get some of that spontaneity back when you're not hearing the tracks in album sequence for the millionth time.

What's this about sampling?!

I don't think it's sampling, more like replicating, but the core elements of a few tracks (I'm thinking of White Cyclosa) are lifted straight from 80's soundtracks. You could argue they've done this in a way that's not too subtle, but at least they're not pulling a Robot Rock.

Me, I was pretty underwhelmed at first but it's grown on me. I think the apocalyptic theme is quite silly and borderline inappropriate (in a situation as bad as this, how about doing something rather than whining about earth overflowing man?), but I like the eerie emptiness of the album a lot, so at least it makes for good music. It's funny it doesn't trigger any childhood connections in the way Music Has the Right or Geogaddi did, even though this time around their sources are actually from a time I lived in...

P.S.: I still think New Seeds is the worst track on the album...!

it's quite likely that the bits weren't sampled but rather "re created", in which case I'll use the term "replicated" if it eases the butthurt...

As I mentioned in another thread it's not like they haven't done this before (Aquarius is probably the most blatant), but there's a difference between sampling for humor, with a sly wink and nod, and borrowing a melody for a "serious" track (or at least, I think there is....)

Maybe it's better just not to know, I guess.

Mostly I just find the album kind of dull with few surprises.

it's quite likely that the bits weren't sampled but rather "re created", in which case I'll use the term "replicated" if it eases the butthurt...

As I mentioned in another thread it's not like they haven't done this before (Aquarius is probably the most blatant), but there's a difference between sampling for humor, with a sly wink and nod, and borrowing a melody for a "serious" track (or at least, I think there is....)

a kitschiness quote of a kitchen sink ' ==== "Good artist's borrow, great artists steal" Picasso (it can become funny when you apply this to everything you do)

I'm sure this has been posted on WATMM and maybe this very thread before, but compare this bit to Telepath. I guess it's that sort of thing that he meant by sampling?

Haha great find, super interesting, its also a really good bleak film

so which tracks did they re-create? I'd love some more music like this.

I still dislike it. I've already made my reasons clear in other threads.

What a shocker. You were sour on it before they even announced it.

wrong. quote where I said this, and I'll concede.

in actual fact, my comments made before the official announcement were regarding the bullshit hype train.

but of course, what a shocker - a twoism member trying to desperately earn the gratitude of The Brothers...

I don't know how people could describe this as EPIC either. I've heard epic music, man. I know what it sounds like. This is "cute" music.

in actual fact, my comments made before the official announcement were regarding the bullshit hype train.

but of course, what a shocker - a twoism member trying to desperately earn the gratitude of The Brothers...

That means you must be foraying into the twoism waters to know that. Hope you took a bath afterwards.

That means you must be foraying into the twoism waters to know that. Hope you took a bath afterwards.

yeah. 2010 was my last post there. go check if you like, you seem to like facts.

I agree with who's saying that Palace Posy is terrible. I have the CD on my car and I always skip the track. I don't know if it's the drums or the stupid melody, but something annoys me tremendously about the track. The rest? The stuff dreams are made of. Sick times. :wub:

Palace Posy is probably the most tripped out warbling, off tempo track on TH & the build up of the vocal's are lush, try & give it more time

definitely. i feel like people have got this album backwards. Palace Posy is the only track on the whole goddamn album that put me in vintage BoC mode. The first three tracks were teh fucking same fucking arpeggios played over and over with different atmospherics. I loved it the first time, not the other two goddamn times; otherwise make it a 15 minute symphony or some shit.

goddamn BoC worship makes me so goddamn mad.

The album is ok. Great? No. Geogaddi and MHTRTC are great.

Personally I'd take Tycho or Arovane or Bibio over this album. Suck it.

edit: alright, Ill admit I really like Nothing is Real too.

Archived