IGNORED

So which watmmer's still dislike TCH?

beerwolf

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The longer this thread goes on the longer it will take the brothers to release the new album.

Please end this madness, lets just say this album is a classic for the sake of everyone, i cannot stand the sight of crying.

i really dislike it. from the moment i heard it the first time i thought "this is it? this is what we've been waiting for for all these years?" it almost seemed like a joke. to wait 8 years just to hear some ambient project that wasn't even that interesting.

You should really give this album at least 10 listens. And preferably on a decent sound system or some really good headphones. The immense layering and sound design deserves nothing less.

i really dislike this kind of advice. if i cannot afford "a decent sound system or some really good headphones" does that mean then i will be incapable of enjoying the album? if these things are required to fully appreciate the album, then why isn't it sold with them included and instructions on how to use them?

if it requires technology to sell it's sound, then maybe it's not that great of an album.

^ Well Fedd-E is right about the amount of detail on the album, and it does definitely get lost when played on a cellphone speaker or something ... However, you can spend 10$ or 100$ on headphones, but imo, super-expensive ones are not necessary to fully grasp/enjoy any album. Just don't go for the super-cheapo 99 cent store headphones. I got these 9€ Sony earphones for my mp3-player and it actually sounds amazing on those.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nothing Is Real was a track they made very soon after finishing TCH, since it still has a lot of swirling psychedelic detail going on.

Possible! It used to make me think of that Orange Romeda track.

I'm all over the place with this album. At the end of the day though, I currently just think they overthought/overproduced this album. And the end-result is some middle of the road BOC album. Which is still good and all, but it has way more potential, imo.

One example is the order of the tracks. It's so overcooked. They obviously thought this through meticulously and all, but that's just the point.

I think I can agree with this. It feels a bit like version 357.0 of something. It's definitely their "cleanest" yet.

i just had another listen yesterday with some friends and a couple o beers, the album is so good!

some people need to buy some new friggin ears and a bag of weed

both me and the lady felt the album was immensely threatening after having consumed a bag (of crisps, I mean..) - however, when off the crisps, it seemed a lot more peaceful and harmonic. weird. shouldn't it be the other way round ... maybe those were bad crisps.

The longer this thread goes on the longer it will take the brothers to release the new album.

Please end this madness, lets just say this album is a classic for the sake of everyone, i cannot stand the sight of crying.

honestly, I'm pretty sure they don't give a lot of shits about whether any of us like or dislike the album - they release something when they feel they can identify with it enough to release it. it seems like more of a personal goal of theirs to meet their own expectation.

wtf is wrong with palace posy you hipsters? lol is it really THAT bad compared to the rest of the album?

actually, no. it just doesn't take itself very seriously, maybe that's why it feels annoying to some ... it's a bit of a tongue-in-cheek-track, but of no lesser quality (why would it be?)

@initial question: I don't, the album has grown on me immensely! I was underwhelmed at first, but there's as much going on as on their other releases (although different kind of stuff) - I guess it's a release that is quite vulnerable to the listening conditions. Go on a sunny lone bicycle trip with that album on or something, that's what did the trick for me.

another thing i realized: the more i read boc interviews the more i dislike their personality. their own image of themselves is very carefully idealized and they do a lot to maintain the mystique is kept intact whilst at the same time feeding their frenzied fans little tidbits of information to keep them interested in their music. like when they said "we spent the last few years furnishing our studio" or "we've made a bunch of music but that's for our kids. there is just so much of it"

you'd think, for people who are so against revealing too much of themselves and into privacy they wouldn't mention these kinds of things especially if they have no intention of releasing them, but they're obviously doing it just to keep the kids hooked and hoping for more.

now i wouldn't mind if they did this in a more creative way, like if their whole point is to create that sense of wonder people had pre-internet days when you saw or heard about a record and couldn't track it down (because it's a limited edition or only released in a certain country far away from your own native land)- but they just flat out tell you almost like kids playing a game of "this isn't even our best work. we have better stuff, we're just not sure you'll be ready for it"

also, how ugly is the artwork and front cover? i mean really. they should entertain the idea of letting a professional do that stuff for them

honestly, I'm pretty sure they don't give a lot of shits about whether any of us like or dislike the album - they release something when they feel they can identify with it enough to release it. it seems like more of a personal goal of theirs to meet their own expectation.

i completely feel the opposite about this. i think boc's self-portrait of themselves is carefully practiced and polished. if something they do can feed the mystery, then it's carefully arranged to fit into the cannon like an important piece of a puzzle.

their reputation for quality control at this point seems more mythical than evident. it kind of reminds me of the time marcel duchamp entered a urinal to an art gallery and it was considered "not art" but as soon as he revealed he was the artist behind the piece, the gallery quickly retracted their thoughts on it and began to look at it more closely.

^ Well Fedd-E is right about the amount of detail on the album, and it does definitely get lost when played on a cellphone speaker or something ... However, you can spend 10$ or 100$ on headphones, but imo, super-expensive ones are not necessary to fully grasp/enjoy any album. Just don't go for the super-cheapo 99 cent store headphones. I got these 9€ Sony earphones for my mp3-player and it actually sounds amazing on those.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nothing Is Real was a track they made very soon after finishing TCH, since it still has a lot of swirling psychedelic detail going on.

Possible! It used to make me think of that Orange Romeda track.

I'm all over the place with this album. At the end of the day though, I currently just think they overthought/overproduced this album. And the end-result is some middle of the road BOC album. Which is still good and all, but it has way more potential, imo.

One example is the order of the tracks. It's so overcooked. They obviously thought this through meticulously and all, but that's just the point.

I think I can agree with this. It feels a bit like version 357.0 of something. It's definitely their "cleanest" yet.

i just had another listen yesterday with some friends and a couple o beers, the album is so good!

some people need to buy some new friggin ears and a bag of weed

both me and the lady felt the album was immensely threatening after having consumed a bag (of crisps, I mean..) - however, when off the crisps, it seemed a lot more peaceful and harmonic. weird. shouldn't it be the other way round ... maybe those were bad crisps.

wtf is wrong with palace posy you hipsters? lol is it really THAT bad compared to the rest of the album?

actually, no. it just doesn't take itself very seriously, maybe that's why it feels annoying to some ... it's a bit of a tongue-in-cheek-track, but of no lesser quality (why would it be?)

@initial question: I don't, the album has grown on me immensely! I was underwhelmed at first, but there's as much going on as on their other releases (although different kind of stuff) - I guess it's a release that is quite vulnerable to the listening conditions. Go on a sunny lone bicycle trip with that album on or something, that's what did the trick for me.

lol, owned us all and your answer to the question is the best post here

Well thank you (or was that ironic? Can't tell, need food!)

@Nebraska: I wonder which one of us is closer to the truth. To me, they seem like two perfectly lovable sociopaths who happen to be gifted with both musical talent and an extreme case of OCD.

It's funny how you talk about how awareness of the artist influences the perception of the actual art itself, and you seem to have a negative opinion about the album as well as the brothers, and with me it's the opposite with both. Guess we are all influenced. Just noting.

It's funny how you talk about how awareness of the artist influences the perception of the actual art itself, and you seem to have a negative opinion about the album as well as the brothers, and with me it's the opposite with both. Guess we are all influenced. Just noting.

that's because i don't think they do either well (the music is nothing special and their presentation of themselves and their work is also somewhat childish).

here is an example: in one of their interviews they said they were watching a lot of films and that influenced some of their songs- but they're also reluctant in mentioning the movies. so why mention movies influenced you at all? they obviously needed to implant that idea into the brains of everyone for a very specific purpose- because they see their own music as being visually inspired. but if they told you what they themselves see- they know it loses some mystery.

the reason i have such a negative view of this is because they seem like the type of people who'd read or hear rumors about them or something so fantastically fabricated, but as long as it builds the mythos of BoC they quietly ignore it causes people to believe it because "if it wasn't true. boc would clear it up"

Archived