IGNORED

Audio Apps: A Helpful Guide

Joyrex

Picked up Tera Synth yesterday, pretty cool so far and fairly deep (that's what she said)

http://discchord.com/blog/2014/7/30/tera-synth-by-virsyn.html

Really having fun with this, add someTuna Knobs and you have a portable synth/controller in one. If you can deals with virtual keys.

I'll start things off:

iMPC for iPhone

(iOS) $2.99USD

screen320x320.jpeg

iMPC for iPhone
MUSIC PRODUCTION APP for iPhoneDeveloped in partnership with Retronyms www.retronyms.comTurn your iPhone into an MPC. With more than 1,200 samples, 50 editable programs, 80 editable sequences, and iconic MPC workflow, iMPC is the first app to bring the look and feel of the classic Akai Pro MPC to your iPhone. iMPC includes everything you need to create a beat quickly and easily, including built-in effects, plus the ability to create new sequences and record and overdub beats. Time correction from 1/8 note to 1/32T with variable swing, and Note Repeat from 1/8 note to 1/32T with latch control are also built in. The apps built-in sampler can record samples three different ways: using the mic on the iPhone, using the line input on the iPhone, or using the multi-touch turntable interface in iMPC to record samples directly from iTunes or other music libraries.

• More than 1,200 samples, 50 editable programs, and 80 editable sequences
  • Exclusive iMPC sound set and classic Akai Professional sound library
  • Sample from iPhone mic, line-in, or music library using multi-touch turntable interface
  • Exciting "3D Perform" controls -- use your iPhone's motion sensors to control parameters!
  • Export tracks to MPC Software for use with MPC Renaissance and MPC Studio
  • In-app SoundCloud community, powered by CloudSeeder
  • Share on SoundCloud, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or export to your computer
  • 16 Levels mode: 16 levels of attack, velocity, length, and tuning
  • Note Variation slider: adjust attack, velocity, length, and tuning as you play
  • Trim and categorize samples, undo takes and erase samples
  • Create new sequences, record and overdub beats
  • Live Sequence queuing for real-time performance and playback
  • Simple drag and drop program creation
  • Built-in effects: delay, bit crusher, master compressor/limiter
  • Time correct: 1/8 note 1/32T with variable swing
  • Note Repeat: 1/8 note 1/32T timing, with latch
  • AudioCopy beats and sequences to compatible apps
  • AudioPaste samples from compatible apps
iMPC For iPhone (iTunes)
iMPC Pro now available for iPad

• 1 month later...

nanoloop! $3.99 for android and ios

http://nanoloop.de/

Description

Nanoloop is a complete sequencer/synthesizer/sampler package, optimised for mobile use. It runs smoothly on a wide range of phones and tablets, including older and low end devices.
The interface fits any screen resolution and can be customised with adjustable font/icon size and white/black color schemes.

- Easy to use sequencer, suitable for rhythm and melody
- Automatisation of all parameters
- 8 channels, each can be synth or sampler
- 8 patterns per channel
- Load samples from SD-card
- Sample via microphone
- Trim samples
- Re-sample
- Polyphonic FM-, PWM- and noise synth
- Song editor with loop function
- Send and receive projects via e-mail
- Compatible with iOS version
- WAV and Ogg Vorbis export
- Sharing projects and audio in Dropbox and SoundCloud is possible when these apps are installed.

The interface has been simplified and in most cases, a long press on an icon reveals info and/or a menu.

The Synth

Nanoloop's FM synth offers a maximum of flexibility within a small set of parameters. It comes with a stereo modulator detune effect and covers the typical clean bells and Rhodes-like sounds, spheric pads, thick beats and basses and all kinds of exotic sounds and noises.

The Sequencer

The stepsequencer visualises the rhythmic structure in a compact 4x4 square matrix, which makes it very easy to lay out patterns.

The Sampler

Besides A/D envelope, loop function and start offset, the puristic sampler comes without effects. You can record up to 6 seconds via microphone or load samples from SD-Card (WAV with 8, 22, 44 or 48 KHz).

Note: Nanoloop does not need an internet connection. It does perform a license check though during the first 10 minutes via internet when running for the first time. Once the check was successful, the result is stored locally permanently and you can work offline.

much more for gameboy!

• 2 weeks later...

thought you guys might be interested in this article:

http://liliputing.com/2014/06/google-brings-low-latency-audio-processing-to-android-l.html

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/30/android-l-promises-to-drastically-reduce-microphone-latency-and-boost-maximum-audio-quality/

Basically, the reason why most of the music app is mostly on iOS is because Android has always had latency issues with sound synthesis. Looks like the new Android L API has a lot of audio improvements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Korg DSN-12 for the Nintendo 3DS is currently on sale for 50% off. $19 in the US, not sure what it is in other regions.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/korg_dsn12/

I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's a lot of fun! No way to export tracks though, so you'll need to record from the headphone jack.

• 5 months later...

Any suggestions for iPhone-compatible apps? Most of these are iPad only. I'm really enjoying the GarageBand app in conjunction with amplitube and ampkit, Propellerheads Figure is great as well. The AUFX processing apps look really good and will likely be my next purchase, but I'm interested in synth solutions with inter-app/audiobus support. Any experience with the mastering apps out there?

• 2 months later...

Since I don't think it's been mentioned yet. For Android you have most notably Caustic 3 and FL Mobile Studio. Caustic 3 is the better of the two.

That said there is a bit of audio lag. It honestly isn't a big deal, but I only used these apps to get down midi/ melody/ drum ideas so it's no biggie to me.

Though I've been thinking of picking up ds-10 or the Korg m01d for my Nintendo 3DS. Anyone have any experience with these?

Edited by Brisbot

Any suggestions for iPhone-compatible apps? Most of these are iPad only. I'm really enjoying the GarageBand app in conjunction with amplitube and ampkit, Propellerheads Figure is great as well. The AUFX processing apps look really good and will likely be my next purchase, but I'm interested in synth solutions with inter-app/audiobus support. Any experience with the mastering apps out there?

Check audioshare to record your figure jams live. These amps look awesome

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm sure many of you know this one, but I think it greatly deserves its own post in this thread. Considering how self-contained and cross-platform it is, you can easily share tracks across devices, so I find it pretty much ideal as a mobile music-making app.

SunVox

$5.99 Android (link)

$5.99 iOS (link)

Free: Windows, OS X, Linux, etc. (link)

geJw2vl.png

Key features
  • Modular interface.
  • Highly optimized synth algorithms.
  • Flexible architecture: SunVox can working on variuos devices. For example: pocket computer with slow CPU - 13bit sound (fixed point arithmetic); or big PC with powerfull CPU: 32bit sound (floating point arithmetic).
  • Built-in synthesizers & effects:
    • Analog Generator;
    • DrumSynth with 120 unique synthetic drum sounds;
    • FM synthesizer;
    • MetaModule (use it to build your own synths/effects);
    • Sampler (supported formats: WAV, XI, AIFF);
    • SpectraVoice (FFT-based synthesizer for warm atmospheric sounds);
    • Side Chain Compressor;
    • Distortion;
    • Echo;
    • 3Band equalizer;
    • Filter (Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass, Notch);
    • Flanger;
    • Loop (for glitch effects);
    • Reverb;
    • Vocal Filter (for human voice simulation);
    • Vorbis Player;
    • WaveShaper;
    • and more ...
  • Multitrack WAV export.
  • MIDI import/export.
  • MIDI IN/OUT (except PalmOS and Windows Mobile).
  • Real-time sample recording.
  • Real-time recording of any types of sound events (notes, Touch Theremin, controllers).
  • XM (FastTracker) and MOD (ProTracker, OctaMED) import.
  • Supported sound systems: ASIO, DirectSound, MME, ALSA, OSS, JACK, Audiobus, IAA;
  • iOS version is compatible with iRig Mic.

It's incredibly cool, definitely the most interesting of these on the go music softs. Unfortunately I found it very cumbersome to work with, my fingers are either gigantic sausages, or there's just too much stuff crammed in there for it to flow nicely on a smartphone.

Yeah sunvox is awesome but the interface is atrocious and frustrating on a touchscreen. It's still great on a laptop or desktop. Anything with a mouse.

Yeah, this, and the Android version has terrible latency at least on my phone. I think that's the OS's fault, though, and it might not be so bad on newer versions.

It's definitely not the most elegant tool. I think something simpler that lets you build complexity incrementally would be better on mobile.

For example I'm loving LGPT on PSP, although I think by "app" you mean iOS or Android.

Edited by sweepstakes

For those of you with a Nintendo3DS the Korg DSN-12 is 50% off at the moment. It does stuff like this, but you don't have to make dubstep innit.

Edit. Shit, it's already been posted.Sorry guys

Edit 2. Oh, that was last year. Not even sorry anymore.

Edited by Gocab

• 3 weeks later...