IGNORED

David O. Russell - American Hustle

Redruth

"The story of a con artist and his partner in crime, who were forced to work with a federal agent to turn the tables on other cons, mobsters, and politicians - namely, the volatile mayor of impoverished Camden, New Jersey."

[youtubehd]QhB6o3Dtwjs[/youtubehd]

Christian Bale as Irving Rosenfeld, a con artist who is forced to assist the FBI

Bradley Cooper as Richie DiMaso, an FBI agent who recruits Irving on the ABSCAM sting operation

Amy Adams as Sydney Prosser, Irving's partner in crime and mistress

Jeremy Renner as Carmine Polito, the Mayor of Camden, New Jersey

Jennifer Lawrence as Rosalyn Rosenfeld, unpredictable wife of Irving

Robert De Niro as Victor Tellegio

Louis C.K. as Stoddard Thorsen

Michael Peña as Paco Hernandez

Jack Huston as Pete Musane

Elisabeth Röhm as Dolly Polito

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800241/?ref_=ttco_co_tt

It's too bad David O Russell got such a bad rep (deservedly, I suppose) for blowing up at people on set. Flirting with Disaster was brilliant, Three Kings was mostly brilliant and better than most war films by far...and I Heart Huckabees certainly had its moments. The new kinder, gentler, more Oscar-pandering, and probably more medicated David O Russell makes much blander films. After Silver Linings I don't have much interest in seeing another of his films, which is a shame.

Although I think it's probably quite hard for him to make a *bad* film, so it should at least be watchable...

I thought I Heart Huckabees was utterly fantastic. I don't really understand why it's considered so bad. A lot of hipsters watched them and frankly most of them didn't really understand it. Ebert wrote it off as pretentious shit and so on

Actually it's a pretty clear and intelligent film ( in terms of spirituality/philosophy, at least I thought so ) and I really liked the characters. The direction was great considering the way it builds up intensity and movement during various parts of the film,

Maybe it's not a masterpiece but I'll always defend that movie. And seriously blowing up on set is such a bad thing? Come on that's pretty minor.

The S&M moments with Wahlberg were some of the funniest things I've seen on film.

I think the biggest fault of the film was casting that Jason Schwartzman (sp?) character. Really don't like that guy.

Guest RadarJammer

And seriously blowing up on set is such a bad thing? Come on that's pretty minor.

Its pretty minor considering all the money and pressure on the set but its still shocking to see anyone behaving like that. People who start yelling like that need to get knocked the fuck out immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I really rate David O Russell and really enjoyed I Heart Huckabees especially all the philosophical crap it had in it. Walberg was hilarious.

That reminds me, I really must watch Silver Linings Playbook. *scribbles in a little book, scuttles away mumbling*

"When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are. "

really enjoyed I Heart Huckabees especially all the philosophical crap it had in it. Walberg was hilarious.

littered with hilarious, solid-gold abstractions and thought provoking, breakthrough moments. what a strange little film it is

really enjoyed I Heart Huckabees especially all the philosophical crap it had in it. Walberg was hilarious.

littered with hilarious, solid-gold abstractions and thought provoking, breakthrough moments. what a strange little film it is

Yeah I thought that. You don't get enough films like I Heart Huckabees that's for certain. The quotes are always popping into my mind.

• 4 months later...

we were very taken by this film. everyone is really good in it, even louis c.k. acts his little tushy off. so many abrasive surfaces and sharp edges in this. it's a period piece and u can really sink teeth into its 70's, not unlike what david fincher did with the zodiac but with more comedy and kitsch. all the characters are such heartwarming problems. they are all a bit dim, foolish yet ironically intelligent and foolproof. we were extremely entertained and inspired by the film and will watch several more times.

its really, really bad.

well not bad in an overwhelming sense, but its by far the most overrated movie Ive seen in years. The acting is more or less fantastic and as expected; Bale and Lawrence's characters were standouts for me. But the story is practically razorthin, and Russel is guilty of spamming fucking 70's soundtrack montages every 15 minutes.....yeah Russel I get it, we are in the 70s, how about padding this shit film with some plot when you are at it?

The climax was boring and by then had me hoping Bale's character would die of a heart attack and finally make things fucking interesting for once. This is the first Best Picture nominee that I've ever been jonesing to leave the theater. Ever.

I really don't see what people see about this film. At all. Even if you look at it as a character study it falls flat.

PS. I Heart Huckabees is one of my all-time fave movies, so its not like I hate Russell. But this movie blows.

American Hustle-5/10

What an overrated mess. Constant soundtrack montages that were completely unnecessary, the story was so forced and over-the-top it became stupid only about 15min. into the film, and not in a ha-ha-funny way either. Its like Russell just got everyone from Silver Linings Playbook back together to fuck around with Baz Luhrmann as the cinematographer.

The only saving grace for this movie was Jennifer Lawrence; only time I really laughed in the entire movie. Everything else was either retarded or uninteresting. Even Louis C.K. was disappointing (though its definitely not his fault).

quick review in the recent films thread.

and again, Im not one of those guys that shits on absolutely every popular Hollywood movie that comes out, check my rep in the films thread. This movie is overrated garbage.

PS> The Surprise cameo is Robert De Niro as a....wait for it.....gangster!!! You're fucking welcome.

PPS: Best part of the movie- constant references to the "science oven".

Yeah, i thought Adams was the stand out as well, the way she played those two doofus male leads who are drooling over her for the whole two hours, saying ''she's so smart, she's so smart''. She never gave anything away, and i think the two lustful doofus' were as much in the dark as to her motives as the audience.

*Spoilers*

The scene where the Mexican sheik couldn't reply to Meyer Lansky's right hand man's Arabic was hilarious. Bale's character is shitting himself being drawn into the gangsta world with his crazy wife in the mix. He has a look on his face the whole way through he's like ''Holy fuck, this isn't what i signed up for''. While Coopers FBI is rejoicing at the sight of all the mafia sitting at the bar (more heads to take down) when they turn up at Atlantic City. And Renner's Mayor was an all round good guy trying to do the right thing and being caught in the crossfire like Bambi.

I thought it was pretty splendid, didn't even think about the soundtrack or the intricacies of the plot. Just the big hair, sassy women and doofus conmen/FBI.

Archived