IGNORED

BSOD every time i open Photoshop

keltoi

Guest skibby

what, pray tell, do you use photoshop for?

there are numerous alternatives.

also, if you are getting BSOD, it is invariably a disk or memory corruption IMO. no version of PS or most commercially released software of that caliber, causes BSOD.

if your installation of PS got corrupted, it can only be from fuq'd sectors IMO.

get some admin privileges is your new homework assignment btw.

Just reinstall Photoshop.

tried it, doesn't fix the problem.

what, pray tell, do you use photoshop for?

there are numerous alternatives.

also, if you are getting BSOD, it is invariably a disk or memory corruption IMO. no version of PS or most commercially released software of that caliber, causes BSOD.

if your installation of PS got corrupted, it can only be from fuq'd sectors IMO.

get some admin privileges is your new homework assignment btw.

mostly very basic stuff... joining, editing photos of clients properties so i can use them in hand-drawn, artist's impressions... and joining scanned artist's impressions to archive proposals.

i now have the admin password.

Sorry to bump this up from the second page, but have you tried downloading the latest trial version of PS? Then you can see if its the software or your hardware.

i'll give this a go.

all your suggestions are much appreciated!

Sorry to bump this up from the second page, but have you tried downloading the latest trial version of PS? Then you can see if its the software or your hardware.

i'll give this a go.

all your suggestions are much appreciated!

trial works without a hitch!

Just reinstall Photoshop.

tried it, doesn't fix the problem.

actually i ran a repair rather than reinstall.

yeah it crashed again.

i un/reinstalled and now it just hangs forever on the initializing process, maybe cos there's now also the trial version on here.

so i've removed it for good and told my boss we need a Win7 compatible version... we can get by with Elements11.0 so it's only like £60.

funny thing is it ran on my PC for 2 years before i tried to install that old CAD program and runs on 2 identical machines happily alongside the same old CAD program.

thanks for all the help!

Things that come to mind:

--startup PS holding down control+shift+alt, which erases prefs, etc., and creates new ones (corrupt prefs can fuck shit up)

--In PS preferences, try changing memory allocation sizes as well as maybe using external scratch disk

--use gimp, if you're just doing simple stuffs. Gimp is pretty hardcore actually, so you can do a lot.

--startup PS holding down control+shift+alt, which erases prefs, etc., and creates new ones (corrupt prefs can fuck shit up)

I had no idea - that's certainly a great tip !

Oh, it's jsut the direct command line route to the System Restore exe, just wanted to confirm it was *that* System Restore you ran when you said: "have i got the restore point? i restored to before installing the CAD if that's what you mean?"

Archived