IGNORED

Post Visual Art That You Have Always Enjoyed Or That You Have Just Discovered

Redruth

Oh, I also got into Katy Ann Gilmore. She makes murals and oddly shaped works that are mostly lines.

http://www.katyanngilmore.com

katy-ann-gilmore-facebook-la-mural.jpg

larger.jpg

FullSizeRender+136.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLix0r3XliWEk-RKq8x72J_EEL6ZbnNsCFWlNGHmO1rZlzro8_

Tara Donovan makes stuff that is pleasing to my eye by using large amounts of a common object, don't know if there's any real depth there, but stuff looks lush irl.

TD-Untitled-2014-8015-898x599.jpg

tara_donovan-untitled-styrofoam_cups.jpg

tara-donovan_acrylic-rods-sculpture_pace

i like stuff but a lot of it's been posted. Kandinsky for example

um here's someone I know/knew online, their goal is to like combine chaotic things visually with mandalas or something? It's definitely kind of too much visual information at times but this stuff must take forever

http://rainbowrat23.tumblr.com/

tumblr_p3r6gnwk8O1rubgf1o1_1280.jpg

and then I'm like, is there a formula/code that exists to make art like this but it'd be the most obtuse code ever? That part interests me

he's also a contradiction music taste wise, is a big time Autechre fan but then some psytrance stuff I could never get into in a million years. At least I think he prefers OLD psytrance, it was definitely cooler when it was mostly just GOA and then later divided into a bunch of annoying subgenres

Edited by Ragnar

i like stuff but a lot of it's been posted. Kandinsky for example

um here's someone I know/knew online, their goal is to like combine chaotic things visually with mandalas or something? It's definitely kind of too much visual information at times but this stuff must take forever

http://rainbowrat23.tumblr.com/

tumblr_p3r6gnwk8O1rubgf1o1_1280.jpg

and then I'm like, is there a formula/code that exists to make art like this but it'd be the most obtuse code ever? That part interests me

he's also a contradiction music taste wise, is a big time Autechre fan but then some psytrance stuff I could never get into in a million years. At least I think he prefers OLD psytrance, it was definitely cooler when it was mostly just GOA and then later divided into a bunch of annoying subgenres

You could do this using a recursive algorithm pretty elegantly actually, the code wouldn't be ugly.  Notice how there are large shapes which are filled in with smaller groups of shapes which are filled in with even smaller groups etc.  You could even define color gradients and schemes and things like this.  I don't know of any good programming languages with lots of support for stuff like this but color palettes are trivial to implement with respect to RGB values and acceptable tolerance levels etc.

personal faves start with Max Ernst for that alchemy of collage, frottage & all manner of rubbings. A print of Birth of a Galaxy is in my living room & Europe After the Rain still punches you in the guts

birth-of-a-galaxy-1969.jpg

larger.jpg

Leonora Carrington for her strange figures in scenes like something fetched back from a fevered dream. Read the few texts that make an attempt to draw interpretations of her world views & still only vaguely wiser

leonora-carrington-la-silla,-daghda-tuat

Operation-Wednesday_Carrington_crop_2-10

Unica Zurn's story is utterly tragic, but her works pull you in like incantations

zurn_134_wr_cropped.jpg

oisteanu-web2.jpg

going all the way back to Paleolithic cave art + that period's penchant for figurines all blow my fkn mind, with the figurines i cant help but be reminded of strange dolls.....self perception & representation in paintings from 40,000 - 25,000BC

Every one of these is lovely... for shame, I've never seen those two Ernst before, only Elephant of Celebes. Europe After the Rain is just about where my mind is these days, I might have to find a print for myself.

You could do this using a recursive algorithm pretty elegantly actually, the code wouldn't be ugly.  Notice how there are large shapes which are filled in with smaller groups of shapes which are filled in with even smaller groups etc.  You could even define color gradients and schemes and things like this.  I don't know of any good programming languages with lots of support for stuff like this but color palettes are trivial to implement with respect to RGB values and acceptable tolerance levels etc.

heh I meant 'recreate this exact picture' algorithm but yeah maybe. And I'm pretty sure the guy creates this stuff as a chill sort of meditative process anyway so he wouldn't want to find the algorithm for his stuff most likely. I'm kind of the opposite KIND OF, it was a relief to find formulas n stuff to make music similar to what I was going for anyway, now I can concentrate on the stuff that I actually do find meditative like creating modular patches n stuff, being the conductor type stuff

Edit: maybe not always, but doing the midi stuff/composition was HARROWING for me at times

Edited by Ragnar

I must say that you guys have a rare taste and a sophisticated eye. The things posted here are truly stimulating pieces of visual art. I like me some stimulating pieces of visual art, that I must say

PS: Yes, yes

Edited by darreichungsform

Reminds me of Norwegian illustrator Theodor Kittelsen (1857-1914)

Theodor_Kittelsen_-_N%C3%B8kken%2C_1887-

a0af9d07-db71-4467-8b37-f1249497ad69.jpg

8d20049b5db5c9da8f84ec41bd406068.jpg

Theodor_Kittelsen_-_Sj%C3%B8trollet%2C_1

a0e3371a86999488741ab155b09fbe7f.jpgtrollet.jpg

Julie Mehretu - always thought her stuff was like visual braindance. More impressive when you find out tons of her stuff is 20+ feet wide. 

82c9458d2edda1fcec691dc8e6583065.jpg

25_mehretu06_Berliner_Plaetze_detail.jpg

larger.jpg

Julie-Mehretu-2-1024x700.jpg

Edited by False Dmitri