IGNORED

Post Visual Art That You Have Always Enjoyed Or That You Have Just Discovered

Redruth

my friend and i had those books when we were young. some of that art is truly scary

yeah it was kinda scary but there was also the element where like nothing was scary by comparison lol? Nightmare on Elm Street.... I dun get it where's the scary

but seriously

R-8581632-1466176624-5077.jpeg.jpg

kind of corny by comparison but homage?

oh crap also

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-guillermo-del-toro-eone-1202790304/

Edited by Ragnar

crap the director looks kind of crappy, I thought Del Toro was gonna direct it and be some halfway good special effects. Imagine pulling that 'look' off with CGI, have we gotten to that point yet

Edited by Ragnar

• 3 weeks later...

Ed Emberly's The Wizard of Op was one of my favorite things when I found it in the library, when I was maybe 5, but I had no idea what it was called or who wrote it until fairly recently, I just remembered vague details and any time I tried to figure out what it is I hit a dead end.

Fortunately, someone scanned about half the pages and even more fortunately I discovered that the Australian edition is actually pretty inexpensive if you can find one (the US and UK editions are more common but cost hundreds of dollars, and the only difference I can see is the text on the copyright pages).

http://fillyandfoal.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-wizard-of-op.html

cover-1.JPG

op+(4).JPG

op+(11).JPG

peter halley

ah i seen a couple of his at a group show at Saatchi - yeah I like it - something about the balanced thickness of the shapes is really pleasing and evocative somehow

Georgian Houghton was a spiritualist/theosophist from the 1850's, but her craft is always inspiring, discovered by chance after a colleague took me to her exhibition @ the Courtauld a few years back (img extension horror so link + samples)

Yeah I went there too! The notes on the back were crazy - did you use the magnifying glasses? There was so much detail

Paul Nash deserves a shout out, bloke def had PTSD from WWI & it shows, so you get the WWI paintings, then the works that followed his discharge aka the "Uncanny Lands", then his venture into photography not long before he passed away, brief samples cos i loves Avebury

Did you check out the Tate exhibition? - it was great, the decimated landscape was so weirdly colourful

the GH exhibition was a weird confluence of chance & someone being pushy enough to talk me round, mind was pwoper blown, v v lucky to have "discovered" her plus the catalogue got a sweetly vamped selection of prints done as a well produced book/guide thats on sale via the gallery & usual corporate internet behemoths.....

the Paul Nash @ the Tate was lined up but circumstances didnt allow it

the British Museum curated a selection of Ice-Age (Paleolithic) art a few years ago which was staggering, dunno if you got to that? it isnt often archaeology grabs you by the scruff (not in water-logged arthritis inducing excavation trenches in January anyway), but this was a personal favourite where everything ranged from 40,000BC to 20,000BC, including figurines, animals, anthropomorphic creatures etc:

swimming reindeer

swimming_reindeer.jpg

Lion Man

Lion-man-angles-Vergleich-drei-Ganzk%C3%

various Venus figurines

three_venuses.jpg?w=1400

loads more

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ice+age+art+british+museum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFz8ek0cTbAhVLe8AKHcJsDAkQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=634

complete change of view, clearing out attic clutter recently & found my brother's old Richard Scarry books frrom the 70's, talk about a memory bomb, the creatures always looked like they were having fun & nostalgia isnt always a bad thang

e56690a3-b84e-479f-b8a5-3f652c956490_1.b

117-385-2_800x800.jpg?v=1497478538

91JNIXKNmCL.jpg

Scarry was fkn cosmic

• Like 1

no I didn't see the paleolithic art one that looks amazing! I love that kind of thing, even more simple stuff like looking at eskimo spears gets my mind buzzing - did you ever listen to the History on Fire episode about the ice man? You might be into it

Ötzi rrrrrocks, poor sod got done in with multiple arrow wounds, then tried to traverse the Alps probably bleeding to death & exposure = d'oh

he had some interesting tattoos/body art, the trinities or 3-lined motifs were in various bodily locations (main theory is these were "recordings" of minor surgeries, but who the f*ck knows)....

tattoos1.jpg

there's a decent Surrealism exhibition on in Wakefield from next week, featuring Lee Miller & Leonora Carrington among others, bit of a trek but looking mint:

https://hepworthwakefield.org/whats-on/lee-miller-and-surrealism-in-britain/

• 2 weeks later...

the GH exhibition was a weird confluence of chance & someone being pushy enough to talk me round, mind was pwoper blown, v v lucky to have "discovered" her plus the catalogue got a sweetly vamped selection of prints done as a well produced book/guide thats on sale via the gallery & usual corporate internet behemoths.....

the Paul Nash @ the Tate was lined up but circumstances didnt allow it

the British Museum curated a selection of Ice-Age (Paleolithic) art a few years ago which was staggering, dunno if you got to that? it isnt often archaeology grabs you by the scruff (not in water-logged arthritis inducing excavation trenches in January anyway), but this was a personal favourite where everything ranged from 40,000BC to 20,000BC, including figurines, animals, anthropomorphic creatures etc:

swimming reindeer

Lion Man

various Venus figurines

loads more

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ice+age+art+british+museum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFz8ek0cTbAhVLe8AKHcJsDAkQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=634

complete change of view, clearing out attic clutter recently & found my brother's old Richard Scarry books frrom the 70's, talk about a memory bomb, the creatures always looked like they were having fun & nostalgia isnt always a bad thang

91JNIXKNmCL.jpg

Scarry was fkn cosmic

the best - I re-watched the kids show recently and those aged pretty well

Gunter Uecker knows a thing or two about nails. I like his idea to put a giant nail in the roof of a german bahnhof. Possibly the inspiration for Clive Barker's Pinhead. 

G%C3%BCnther-Uecker-TV-with-Nails-1963-L

91JNIXKNmCL.jpg

Scarry was fkn cosmic

oh my god i havent seen this in nearly 20 years, childhood memories are flowing back. i used to play the Busytown game, 5 year old me thought it had such grabbing visuals. wish i still had it, would not hesitate to play right now tbh. such a peacefully innocent little game   :cattears:

Edited by GetSquirrely

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ima Patent the fuck out of “post visual art”, first piece is just some room titled “nothing to see here” it’s deep af do u understand?

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...