IGNORED

Post Visual Art That You Have Always Enjoyed Or That You Have Just Discovered

Redruth

3 hours ago, yekker said:

I think I might have that book. There's not many out there that I'm aware of. It's a hardcover biography with drawings? Have you heard of Brian Froud? He's a great fantasy artist. Oh and I also grew up with the GNOMES book but I forget that guys name.

Nope, it was paperback - edited by David Larkin. I have the biography too; bought it for myself much later. My dad has the gnomes book also - I stared at it almost as often.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 12:24 AM, iococoi said:

Giovanni Boldini (1842 - 1931)

wonderful slightly-over-the-top realism. he also did that famous verdi portrait

portrait-of-guiseppe-verdi-1813-1901.jpg

the-model-and-the-mannequin-1873.jpg

7437120.jpg?sku=Unframed&thumb=0&huge=1

confidences.jpg

the-hammock.jpg

That isn't realism 

spacer.png

Rembrandt, portrait d’une jeune femme, 1668, Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal

My mom told me that it made a great impression on me as a kid, i just stared at it for a long time, stunned.The second time i saw it as a 16 years old, not remembering ever seeing it, it had the same effect.Every time i see it i rejoice immensely.A masterpiece, one of the greatest work of art i have seen in the flesh.

Shows you the importance of museums.

I think this one is highly underrated and a bit of a hidden gem.You rarely see it mentionned or showed in Rembrandt books but i think this is a Mona Lisa/ Girl With Pearl Earrings level of a woman portrait.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thefxbip said:

spacer.png

Rembrandt, portrait d’une jeune femme, 1668, Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal

My mom told me that it made a great impression on me as a kid, i just stared at it for a long time, stunned.The second time i saw it as a 16 years old, not remembering ever seeing it, it had the same effect.Every time i see it i rejoice immensely.A masterpiece, one of the greatest work of art i have seen in the flesh.

Shows you the importance of museums.

I think this one is highly underrated and a bit of a hidden gem.You rarely see it mentionned or showed in Rembrandt books but i think this is a Mona Lisa/ Girl With Pearl Earrings level of a woman portrait.

i had a very similar reaction to this painting when i saw it at my visit to the Louvre years ago, sat there staring at it for about 45 minutes. like an idea ripped from a mind, surreality imagined but perfectly represented in our reality. just immaculate and haunting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Martyr

006F651F-627C-4D2F-9A89-D94494C7FD94.jpeg.b3691ba147c75dff698e11b8775e54bf.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, auxien said:

i had a very similar reaction to this painting when i saw it at my visit to the Louvre years ago, sat there staring at it for about 45 minutes. like an idea ripped from a mind, surreality imagined but perfectly represented in our reality. just immaculate and haunting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Martyr

006F651F-627C-4D2F-9A89-D94494C7FD94.jpeg.b3691ba147c75dff698e11b8775e54bf.jpeg

Glorious water there.

This exact color is one of my favorite colors.Nocturnal turquoise.

• Like 2

Here is two very colorful and beautiful figurative work by two of my current favorite living painters Cecily Brown and Daniel Richter.

spacer.png

Crop of ''Where, When, How Often And With Whom’ by Cecily Brown.Huge painting, cant find a good full size pic on the web.

spacer.png

Daniel Richter

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, dingformung said:

this stuff is so pleasing to look at i want it on my walls at home but i cant afford to buy artworks i imagine they cost a whole lot of money

Either become rich and buy em or become an artist and become poor and make em.

?

Edited by thefxbip
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Glorious water there.

This exact color is one of my favorite colors.Nocturnal turquoise.

yes, i've got some personal affinity for a lot of the colors and ideas and subject matter and the ambiguity there. and of course the colors and feeling of it is even richer in person...that painting in particular was one i saw before i went to the Louvre (lightly looked into particular stuff to seek out that might get glossed over with the overwhelming amount of art there) and i thought it was pretty nice and wanted to see it, but it's just nothing compared to in person...particularly in the years since i've looked up prints of it and such (since i'm not planning an art theft heist) and the painting looks vastly different in every one....there's a lot of subtlety lost in a replication (more so than in many paintings i've seen)

anyway i meant to mention that Rembrandt you posted is really nice, agreed that it feels pretty stunning, he captured or created some particular gaze that i always find a little unsettling (not necessarily bad) when i see it in art pieces. kind of hope that CGI/visual motion mediums never get that masterful with their stuff, i could see things like that being better than reality in ways that i feel is probably very unhealthy. but i'm digressing...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, auxien said:

yes, i've got some personal affinity for a lot of the colors and ideas and subject matter and the ambiguity there. and of course the colors and feeling of it is even richer in person...that painting in particular was one i saw before i went to the Louvre (lightly looked into particular stuff to seek out that might get glossed over with the overwhelming amount of art there) and i thought it was pretty nice and wanted to see it, but it's just nothing compared to in person...particularly in the years since i've looked up prints of it and such (since i'm not planning an art theft heist) and the painting looks vastly different in every one....there's a lot of subtlety lost in a replication (more so than in many paintings i've seen)

anyway i meant to mention that Rembrandt you posted is really nice, agreed that it feels pretty stunning, he captured or created some particular gaze that i always find a little unsettling (not necessarily bad) when i see it in art pieces. kind of hope that CGI/visual motion mediums never get that masterful with their stuff, i could see things like that being better than reality in ways that i feel is probably very unhealthy. but i'm digressing...

Yeah nothing beats seeing the real thing.Nothing.Some things cant be translated to photography.Colors are never 100% accurate.Monet seems to be in particular radically better in the flesh because it focus so much on effects of colors.You dont get the full textural and sensual quality of paint.The basic impact of the size also vs a small reproduction in a book, in print or on the web.The unique soul, spirit and vibe of a piece can only be experienced in the flesh.

Also CGI/visual motion mediums will never make painting obsolete for the same reason photography never made painting obsolete, because painting is it's own thing and nothing else can recreate what it does.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Also CGI/visual motion mediums will never make painting obsolete for the same reason photography never made painting obsolete, because painting is it's own thing and nothing else can recreate what it does.

ah yeah, didn't really mean it in that sense tho...surely wasn't explaining myself well. i meant it more as as entrancing as the greatest paintings can be, if that level of magnetism was to be replicated in a 3D environment, especially something interactive, reality could start to look shabby in comparison. the VR nightmare thing where people don't want to leave the headset because real life pales in comparison to the virtual realm. paintings like that Rembrandt make me worried that such a thing could happen one day.

1 hour ago, Cryptowen said:

imo sometimes internet content rises up to another level & speaks to the broader social condition

for sure. some of the very best art is not intended as such imo, like memes for example.

ah shit i broke the page. whatever

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...