IGNORED

Why is it that everytime someone says such-and-such music is totally awesome, and you go and listen to it, and it sucks?

CharlesWatkins

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

society, the current state of music, our current technology's instant gratification culture, an oversaturation of artists/music, too many options, and not enough focus, the 3-second soundbyte culture we live in, not giving new artists a chance because we don't have time because there are xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx more artists to discover every 3 seconds, etc etc etc etc etc

which all of the above MAKES us jaded, and then it just gets worse.

i could go on and on and would probably end up writing an essay on this.. hmm.. perhaps ill start a thread on it (: :spiteful:

It happens with a few bands but in the end I know it's all good because I like my opinion more than anyone's. So far I have never steered myself wrong when deciding on musical goodness.

Guest RadarJammer

sometimes to enjoy music that someone else recommends you have to put hidden cams in their room and try to experience life through their eyes

Depends on the friends. I usually find if someone I respect is still talking about a musician or release months or years after the initial wave of hype it's worth listening to. I've also put off music for a very long time (The xx for example) because everyone kept talking about them.

Lately I'm actually tired of my friends with questionable or limited taste in music continuing to hate on Mumford and Sons and similar bands. That faux pretentious "pssh, guh this is so bad people, it's so derivative, a derp derp pssh." It's like they're trying to be cool or feel better by shit on people who like those groups because they can't take similar pleasure in new music. I'd prefer the dilemma mentioned in this thread over that any day.

this thread is now about controversial opinions.

i think pink floyd are terrible, and the national bore me to tears. every flaming lips song sounds the same.

ive been trying to "get" flaming lips for the past 10 years, and i can't fucking get them and/or do not want to fucking get them. i don't care, im so sick of hearing their name. one of my best friends/roommates references them ALL THE FUCKING TIME and it drives me nuts.. he was even Wayne Coyne for Halloween once, and it just made me plain mad.

i even bought some flaming lips album a long time ago to tryyyy reallly hard to get it, and i still couldnt. it sounds like pretentious trying to hard to be quirky/hipster/weird garbage to me. of course my flaming liptard friends all said ohhh thats cuz you just didnt buy the right album. bullshit.

... i will say i do recall actually hearing a song once in said friend's car, really liked it and asked who it was.. and he gazed over at me, smiled, and said "flaming LIPS dude"... i bowed my head in shame.. and said "oh, this is pretty cool quietly"... then, of course, came the expected fanboy promotion from my friend of how good they really are lol

i will not like flaming lips. i refuse to believe that the rest of the songs sound as good as that one. it had a new wavey pet shop boys feel which caught my attention and was groovy. i still do not like flaming lips and will not despite this one good song from them. (:

Archived