IGNORED

Why is it that everytime someone says such-and-such music is totally awesome, and you go and listen to it, and it sucks?

CharlesWatkins

im actually convinced that the ppl that like them only like them cuz they have a quirky cool hipster name. and maybe cuz the singer sounds like he's supposed to be tripping on acid/permafried/cutesy child-like weirdness/playfulness/big curly unkept haircut/hey yay im in the clouds type shit. fuck.

[youtubehd]-WPbLdmoVFg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GzaFPX5qaVk[/youtubehd]

oh & his stupid attention-grabbing suits.. and their dumb song titles like mr ambulance driver.. ohhh so quirky and fun.. so RAAAANDOOOOMMMMMM hahahahahah that;s ccccccoooooooolll

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone was talking about how nickelback and staind are amazing bands. i've reached a point where i realized that good music recomendations are based on understanding where the person you're talking to is at and what the next step is for him/her, rather than what's good to you. it's almost like it's subjective.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

the soft bulletin is a stone cold masterpiece. I haven't kept up with their recent output.

im actually convinced that the ppl that like them only like them cuz they have a quirky cool hipster name. and maybe cuz the singer sounds like he's supposed to be tripping on acid/permafried/cutesy child-like weirdness/playfulness/big curly unkept haircut/hey yay im in the clouds type shit. fuck.

[youtubehd]-WPbLdmoVFg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GzaFPX5qaVk[/youtubehd]

oh & his stupid attention-grabbing suits.. and their dumb song titles like mr ambulance driver.. ohhh so quirky and fun.. so RAAAANDOOOOMMMMMM hahahahahah that;s ccccccoooooooolll

it's alternately light-hearted and heavy, and it's fun to listen to. i like that they don't take themselves too seriously, but they also have a ton of poignant songs in their repertoire.

Guest Enter a new display name

this happens most of the time obviously. many moons ago enter a new display name (in person) told me to listen to dub techno. and I did.

and it was good.

You're welcome. 5X265.gif

mf4FePU.jpg

Guest zaphod

i'm not sure how you can say pink floyd are terrible, kaini (unless you're being sarcastic). all iterations? i don't like anything they did after meddle, but that album is fantastic. and there are some good tracks prior to that. and actually, animals is pretty great, so i lied.

flaming lips kinda suck though. i made a thread about not "getting" them a while back, didn't get a good response here. i still can't stand the soft bulletin, it's like listening to disney soundtracks for hipsters. also, sonic youth fucking suck.

here's the atomic bomb of controversial opinions on this board: i can't stand kraftwerk. cheesiest, most obvious "robot" electronic music ever. fucking terrible group. every asshole who recommends them to me can die in a fire. giorgio moroder and italo disco can go to hell too. that stuff is all awful. i don't believe anyone likes it.

here's the atomic bomb of controversial opinions on this board: i can't stand kraftwerk. cheesiest, most obvious "robot" electronic music ever. fucking terrible group. every asshole who recommends them to me can die in a fire. giorgio moroder and italo disco can go to hell too. that stuff is all awful. i don't believe anyone likes it.

well it comes with the context that no one was making any fucking music like that whatsoever - synths and electronic compositions were for the avant-garde until that point, the only exception being the very "topical" use of such aesthetics in prog rock or the rare novelty pop song

kraftwerk isn't so much cheesy as they are excessively German - I mean literally pop culture's stereotypes of techno music stem from that band - people who have no idea who Kraftwerk are in essence actually do because it's so heavily referenced in films and television

Sgt Pepper. Not for me i'm afraid.

it's important but mostly dull. This is what I do when I listen to Sgt Pepper:

1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" McCartney 2:02

2. "With a Little Help from My Friends" Starr 2:44

3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" Lennon 3:28

flip record or skip ahead

1. "Within You Without You" (George Harrison) Harrison

5:04

skip ahead or use the restroom or grab something from the kitchen

5. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" Lennon, McCartney and Harrison

6. A Day in the Life" Lennon and McCartney 5:39

Also, McCartney has his moments, but his contribution to Sgt Pepper is mostly his quintessential "granny music" tracks

the soft bulletin is a stone cold masterpiece. I haven't kept up with their recent output.

^Yup, that and Yoshimi imo

Yeah Flaming Lips is one of those bands that I'm pretty sure has at least one album most people will like. The trouble is they are also one of those bands that has a huge output, sincere but biased fanbase (they're almost like a jam band in terms of their vast and persistent fanbase), they've been very gimmicky, sometimes to an annoying level and ALL of that makes them a bit daunting to check them out. Hell, my one of favorite songs is off what many consider their weakest album.

i think kraftwerk is way overrated, and they for the last 2 decades have milked a completely non evolving sound that relies completely on their past image, but I still think they deserve a lot of attention. Their first two albums are completely in the kraut-rock / jam zone. There are synths on them but generally i wouldn't say they have any of the cheesy elements that appeared on their later records. also it helps to listen to the german language version of their music too, the english versions are inferior once youv'e heard the german ones (plus they just sound less cheesy)

kraftwerk are the most aesthetically successful musical group in history and have been completely misunderstood by the english-speaking world simply due to its rampant post-war xenophobia.

Guest zaphod

yeah, i dunno about kraftwerk. haven't heard all of their albums but the major ones i've heard are cheesy as fuck. the whole "man/machine" aesthetic is cheesy as fuck. i feel like that set back electronic music by at least a decade. i don't visualize cyborgs making the music i listen to, sorry. i find the best electronic music to be very human. everything about this is just...no thanks:

[youtubehd]VXa9tXcMhXQ[/youtubehd]

it's got nothing to do with xenophobia or their being german, either. it's just....i can't take it seriously at all. man, didn't mean to turn this into a kraftwerk hate thread, but they're the one band that i've had recommended over and over when i say i like afx or autechre or whoever else. i literally can't comprehend how anyone could like this music in earnest.

I have liked The Flamin gLips on and off for a few years but recently I've really come to love them, Mainly cause of their last two albums, Embryonic and The Terror

[youtubehd]kNMCvys9IpU[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]OzZig-Q8fm4[/youtubehd]

here's the atomic bomb of controversial opinions on this board: i can't stand kraftwerk. cheesiest, most obvious "robot" electronic music ever. fucking terrible group. every asshole who recommends them to me can die in a fire.

No YOU die in a fire!

I've gotta say that Kraftwerk are probably my favourite band.

So, like, opinions yeah.

Archived