IGNORED

Boards of Canada Vinyl Reissues Available For Preorder

YangYing

yeah, i'm in two minds what to do about TCH. upon closer listening, i'm finding nothing catastrophic on mine but a lot of pops towards the end of sides 2 and 3. sounds like people are experiencing lots of different problems... there's no single pressing error, it's just a really low quality batch. i'm waiting to see if Warp/Bleep make some kind of announcement, but i'm not holding my breath...

I think Bleep may only be replacing obviously damaged ones, since they're asking for photographs rather than sound samples. If that's the case, some people are going to be surprised when they receive a mint-looking 'spare part' that still crackles at every revolution.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wonder WHAT has happened that the vinyl editions got out of the pressplant in that condition. Seriously, did they used it as beermats before packaging up?

That is almost embarassing for the pressplant.

A quick google around, and someone on the Steve Hoffman forum managed to find the pressing plant info for these reissues...

WARPLP123R, WARPLP70R, WAP200R - Vinyl Factory (UK) [The Campfire Headphase/Twoism/Trans Canada Highway]

Yep that'd be why. I'm still getting over their £25 Massive Attack/Burial single that sounds like it was dragged through sand (well more so than a normal Burial track anyway)

How they can charge such a fortune for these sub-standard quality audio releases I have no idea.

Reading that is deflating my wish to get the EP bundle as well rather quick, for the album bundle as well.

I wonder why Warp did not let one plant made the whole job, especially if you know that there is a huge timegap between both bundles.

Seriously, I can even smell that frustration is programmed after purchasing a lot from bleep.

Are there any TCH copies out that play really really fine?

Sorry for being annoyed and fooked up/pissed, whatever, but hey, we have a legendary reissue and those c-nuts at the Vinyl Factory seem to have it fucked up.

Guest Ron Manager

yeah, i'm in two minds what to do about TCH. upon closer listening, i'm finding nothing catastrophic on mine but a lot of pops towards the end of sides 2 and 3. sounds like people are experiencing lots of different problems... there's no single pressing error, it's just a really low quality batch. i'm waiting to see if Warp/Bleep make some kind of announcement, but i'm not holding my breath...

I think Bleep may only be replacing obviously damaged ones, since they're asking for photographs rather than sound samples. If that's the case, some people are going to be surprised when they receive a mint-looking 'spare part' that still crackles at every revolution.

yeah, it's a huge problem. i'm looking at mine, and a visible scratch on side 2 is obviously causing popping. on side 3 however, the vinyl looks flawless, but there is serious crackling at the end during 'Constants are Changing'. i don't really understand how this happens...

yeah, it's a huge problem. i'm looking at mine, and a visible scratch on side 2 is obviously causing popping. on side 3 however, the vinyl looks flawless, but there is serious crackling at the end during 'Constants are Changing'. i don't really understand how this happens...

As far as I understand these things: Either they used deteriorated stampers, or something caused the vinyl to not mold properly into/retain the shape of the stampers' grooves. Both would make every copy sound as if it has dirty/damaged grooves without any visible damage, right? Ideally someone would check every n-th record that comes out of the press to see if the quality is still up to snuff, but well...

Geogaddi sounds great except I think my stylus is mistracking a bit on Corsair. Plugging in a heavier tracking spherical tip will probably get rid of it but I didn't care enough to actually try it.

Music Has The Right To Children wins, shame MPO aren't pressing any of the EPs.

think I might not bother with the EP orders then...

I've already got all the original pressings of the albums, and all I really needed was Hi Scores, In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, and Trans Canada Highway. if the quality is gonna be this bad (and it seems like it will be), fuck it.

think I might not bother with the EP orders then...

I've already got all the original pressings of the albums, and all I really needed was Hi Scores, In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, and Trans Canada Highway. if the quality is gonna be this bad (and it seems like it will be), fuck it.

Something to note: In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country is being pressed at the same place as te Geogaddi pressing. Most everyone seems to have positive things to say about that one (with occasional mention of Cosair being somewhat off)

So I'm hoping IABPOITC will be ok. That one and TCH EP are the only ones I don't have, but I can live with not owning the later on vinyl if its super crackly

Ouch. I really think harder and harder getting the reissues- It seems only a few of them are okay, maybe I should really shell out the money for the proper first pressings.

Corsair is such an beautiful piece and hearing it "remixed" by an defective vinyl cut just makes me sad. Interestingly the distortion fades with the own fadeout of the track. I simply guess it's the sound of overcompressing loudness.

Ouch. I really think harder and harder getting the reissues- It seems only a few of them are okay, maybe I should really shell out the money for the proper first pressings.

Corsair is such an beautiful piece and hearing it "remixed" by an defective vinyl cut just makes me sad. Interestingly the distortion fades with the own fadeout of the track. I simply guess it's the sound of overcompressing loudness.

yeah that sounds terrible. My original pressing definitely doesn't have that distortion at all.

So WATMM™: Complaining about purposely aged, distored music sounding bad. :trollface:

while I lolled, people who have bought these represses are within their rights to be annoyed - that is clearly a bad mastering job, and certainly not to the quality that the original pressing was.

This has pretty much confirmed that I'll not be completing my order for the few EPs I'm missing. I'd rather get the original pressing, kthnx Warp.

This has pretty much confirmed that I'll not be completing my order for the few EPs I'm missing. I'd rather get the original pressing, kthnx Warp.

Well, to do proper justice, I wait until reviews about the represses of the EP appear. Maybe I can spot the ones with a proper press/masterjob and get them, leaving the bad ones aside.

I wonder what Warp will do now- keeping themself silent in shame? Or repress the lot again?

Well, to do proper justice, I wait until reviews about the represses of the EP appear. Maybe I can spot the ones with a proper press/masterjob and get them, leaving the bad ones aside.

I wonder what Warp will do now- keeping themself silent in shame? Or repress the lot again?

I'm not even gonna bother. Considering the complete fuck up over Tomorrow's Hype, you'd have thought some more care would've gone into these represses. Clearly not. I'll buy on the second hand market the original presses, and 100% of the proceeds can go to the seller and not a penny to the original artists.

so much for piracy, eh? :emotawesomepm9:

Except that will be 200 euros per record going to the seller.

for original pressing of In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, and Trans Canada Highway? lol what tits are you off tonight?

oh actually, thinking about it, those are on coloured vinyl, and Warp's coloured vinyl sounds like absolute gash.

on second thoughts, fuck it.

but back to my original point - I'd rather €200 per record went to the second hand seller so I got a decent original press, compared to the proceeds from the represses going to the label, acknowledging that it's acceptable to put out shite cuts.

OK, thought you meant the first albums, didn't read your posts properly.

unless I'm out of date with current going prices for the original presses of the first 3 albums, €200 is way too high. that equates to £167 approx.

but my point still stands. I would rather pay €200 for an original pressing of Geogaddi, than pay £18.99 for a repress and essentially tell Warp with my money that it's ok to sell shit.

Aside of yelling at Warp, I hope they get so many complaints that they redo the whole job and put it on a proper level.

I mean in all seriousness I wonder how BOC feel about that- I don't think it's a good feeling for an artist being represented in such an absolutely careless vision after so many people waited for ages to have the chance to get a slice of the cake.

Has someone formulated an letter to bleep and asked more than for a refund/replacement copy?

I am just disappointed. Really. Especially for people coming years to late to the party this is just a wasted chance.

Aside of yelling at Warp, I hope they get so many complaints that they redo the whole job and put it on a proper level.

I mean in all seriousness I wonder how BOC feel about that- I don't think it's a good feeling for an artist being represented in such an absolutely careless vision after so many people waited for ages to have the chance to get a slice of the cake.

Has someone formulated an letter to bleep and asked more than for a refund/replacement copy?

I am just disappointed. Really. Especially for people coming years to late to the party this is just a wasted chance.

Considering the 'quality' of customer service I have had from Bleep, I think that would definitely be a waste.

As for whether the band know about it, I dunno...you would've thought they'd have had some involvement in it, if only just to sign off on the final product and give it the Del Monte Man He Say Yes.

But you never know. Either way, it's not a good situation.

that is clearly a bad mastering job

...and by Autechre's go-to guy for vinyl mastering, no less. :shrug:

It's a mystery to me how they let this happen. MHTRTC sounds great, R Plus Seven sounds great... I'm still hopeful quality will be back to normal for the EPs. And then there's that upcoming Hi Scores repress on Skam, really hope they get that one right.

that is clearly a bad mastering job

...and by Autechre's go-to guy for vinyl mastering, no less. :shrug:

It's a mystery to me how they let this happen. MHTRTC sounds great, R Plus Seven sounds great... I'm still hopeful quality will be back to normal for the EPs. And then there's that upcoming Hi Scores repress on Skam, really hope they get that one right.

I think Noel Summerville knows what he's doing tbh. this is probably happened after it had been cut.

Archived