IGNORED

Inspiration/Motivation

rstark

What gets you pumped up to make some music? Do you have any pre-production rituals? Do you go for a jog? Meditate? Drink coffee or energy drinks? Smoke weed? Trip on LSD or Mushrooms? Think about the future or past?

How do you stay focused and not get distracted? How do you keep up your workflow?

I'm asking all of this because a lot of times I get drained after only 30 minutes of working. I come up with a what I think is a good idea and then don't want to screw it up or just end up jamming with it and getting stuck on moving forward. Am I just lazy?

What inspires and motivates you?

Love. Really. Most of my tracks are produced while thinking: "would she like this?" Other technique of mine is just thinking whatever and make the soundtrack for it, like for my school, for a person I don't like, etc. Soundtracking my own life.

In fact, all my life has been driven by love.

Inspiration almost always occurs in a spur of the moment for me, especially when it comes to starting a new track. It's usually either triggered by an emotion preceding a big event in life, or by a single random sound I find interesting.

I usually work stuff out in my head as much as possible before getting it down. If I like something I'll hum it a lot and it'll stick. I also work with a partner, who helps me structure things a lot.

Got my last track idea while hiking. Not sure if it'll work out yet. I used to progress on tracks really well by smoking cigarettes, but can't do that anymore (don't like it).

I often 'struggle' with this, most of the time some sound just reminds me of another track of some artist and when that happens, I just want to listen to that track/artist. It always seems like a good idea to stop listening other people's music or ideas for a long time, like James Stinson said he did. I see myself as more of a listener than a creator though, just having fun playing around sometimes (and I like DJ'ing more than I like creating music).

My music (and music in general) helps me to understand life better and those moments of insight are what's driving me in creation. I rarely 'understand' and then create; it's mostly other way around.

Second, I'm producing music fist of all for my self...not to share, almost zero sharing to others.

Step 1: attach electronic muscle stimulation electrodes to ballz

Step 2: jack up intensity to 11 and open DAW

Step 3: overclock EMS machine to 23, write bassline

Step 4: hookup 2 car batteries to nipples via monster cables and duct tape, write some beatz

Step 5: by this time, melodies and harmonies and shit should come out of nowhere, and you should have a track about 7 times better than Hasty Boom Alert

Step 6: eat 1 kilo of instant coffee powder, once per hour

Step 7: finish 15 tracks in one sitting, never turning off EMS machine or disconnecting car batteries

Step 8: still wired up, send demo to Mike P

Step 9: he paypal you instantly fai thousand dalla and give you 10 album- no review required- deal

Step 10: disconnect equipment, lay back in bed, enjoy your life as IDM superpower (the electricity by this time, will have given you levitation, choon writing, and acne growing ability)

for womanz: If you have a vagina, replace "ballz" with "on the outer wall of your cervix"

I think of writing a track as a puzzle that I need to solve. I don't necessarily have to be inspired to write nowadays. I just start with something, try some things, and then follow where the track wants to take me.

I try really hard not to force the sound in any direction these days. Just go with the flow.

i just watched this video with and interview from Untold. He talks about how he starts with pen and paper. that's awesome

it's weird cause i feel kind of dirty when i do that and it kills inspiration. when i write down something like he said there, "sub bass with old jungle hi-hat" i just feel like it was a really stupid thing to right down, scrunch it up and bin it.. because that's barely an idea. that would just happen anyway. it's good to be organised though, i'm certainly edit: NOT doing things the right way

Archived