IGNORED

Recondite - Hinterland

Redruth

"For many great artists, going back is the way to move forward. With this in mind, Berlin-based producer Recondite looked to his homeland of Lower Bavaria for his debut Ghostly International release, Hinterland. “I tried to capture the area’s mentality and natural environment within the album,” he explains. “Particularly the moods that behold the emotions of the four seasons, which differ a lot in this region.” In fact, most of the field recordings featured in this 10-track LP were taken in his recent visits to the free state in southeastern Germany."

"Recondite’s production career has only spanned a handful of years, but his versatility with electronic music as an expressive medium puts him beyond others with discographies twice as long. He began Plangent Records in 2011 as a means for releasing his own music in limited batches. Lush, gorgeous, and vibrant are three words that can often describe his original productions, whether it’s floating in a beatless ambience or driving a hard rhythm through the soundsystem of a nightclub or warehouse. His debut album came out in 2012 on the Los Angeles-based Acid Test imprint, and quickly put him up alongside labelmate Tin Man, who offered a remix for the On Acid LP."

look / listen http://ghostly.com/releases/hinterland

this sounds nice, any previews up?

it is under lock and key, at least for the moment.

i'm eager to hear how he might have matured in the past few years. it is hopeful to me that he feels that this work is his most personal expression, as of yet. he's always had such a natural ability considering the short amount of time he has been making musics.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, what i've heard of this seems a bit dull, though i'm open to the possibility of slowly being won by it; i just don't know if it has the ability, honestly ..time will tell

agreed, never heard of the this artist before so I didn't have any expectations.

sounds like he made the entire album with the exact same Fruity Loops session, just changed around some of the beat patterns and compositions but using the exact same mix/eq on every instrument which also sounds exactly like the same synth patches for every song.

Usually this only works if the compositions themselves are very evocative or interesting, and in this case they are neither. They are kind of floaty background melodies that seem kinda bland.

Don't really know what else to say besides I hear better and more interesting creative evocative and imaginative music on the Latest Creations forum weekly. Reminds me of the background music they play on Virgin airlines flights, very non offensive 'calming' 'techno' electronic music, kinda health spa 55 + menopausal women vibes too

ouch, virgin airlines music? that's a very harsh thing to say and something you could say of pretty much any ambient music really.

that's not to say i couldn't imagine a room full of middle aged hippies doing yoga or something to this music because i so could.

it's really nice for what it is though which is chill out music, i'd probably put this on to read to on an evening. or maybe to drop off too.

this album occupies the same space in my musical taste that Pan Am do and other similar artists. i agree though, it's not for everyone.

PS there were a few stand out tracks for me which i particularly liked, like abscondance for example. overall i liked the texture.

• 5 months later...

sounds like he made the entire album with the exact same Fruity Loops session, just changed around some of the beat patterns and compositions but using the exact same mix/eq on every instrument which also sounds exactly like the same synth patches for every song.

I don't think this is an off-base comment, but I think of it more as it all being in one session or ethos. Very Melodies of Mars type vibe to me with Pantha du Prince thrown in. It's a very enjoyable and relaxing album for me.

Archived