IGNORED

FM Synthesis (techniques, anecdotes)

Guest skibby

So basiclly I can do the same but add cycle making a FM-engine instead of phasor~ and square? 

1 OP should really be enough. The most important thing is the portamento and step sequencer. 

Good little project.. If I make it I would share it to you guys!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cern said:

So basiclly I can do the same but add cycle making a FM-engine instead of phasor~ and square? 

1 OP should really be enough. The most important thing is the portamento and step sequencer. 

Good little project.. If I make it I would share it to you guys!  

1OP that's not a sine wave, then?

13 minutes ago, psn said:

1OP that's not a sine wave, then?

2 Cycle~ objects: The first working as a modulating "oscillator" or better call it "modulator" while the other is working as the carrier. 

Then I would set depth and frequency values and ability to change the parameters over the time. 

Am I thinking right? ?

Unless I'm completely mistaken I think that'd be a 2OP synth - The first being the carrier oscillator and the second operator being the frequency modulator of the first. As psn suggests, a 1 op would just be a single sine wave (the cycle~ object)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cern said:

Yeah maybe you are right and Im totally wrong! 

I have always thought 1 OP = 1 Modulator + 1 Carrier ?

I think an operator is: A waveform, and the ADSR envelope of that waveform

(not 100% sure though - really need to start learning this stuff)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

you can do feedback fm with 1op tho

Yes that is a basic algo I was thinking about but maybe little boring for doing acid-kind of stuff. 

Im gonna try to do somehting. ?

27 minutes ago, ArtificialDisco said:

But if you modulate the amount of feedback, that would act as a cut-off filter, right? Isn't that half the battle?

Yeah, you'll go from sine to saw to noise. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Some nice FM acid in this one

That thing is a beast. I think it'd be ace to get one second hand for maybe £600-800 seeing as they retail for £1200!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

Some nice FM acid in this one

finally a modern digital hw synth worth having! imo

def will buy! 

• Like 1

A few months ago I almost bought a Kodamo Essence FM. My wallet is glad I didn't ? Still on my fantasy shopping list, right after Serge Modular.

FM acid is superfun indeed, 1 OP with feedback does the trick (just like psn and ArtificialDisco said).

@mcbpete super close, I believe an operator is the combo of an oscillator, an enveloppe and an amplifier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, TheBro said:

Wait I see it retails for £888 for Kodamo Essence FM MKII – Thomann UK. Any idea what the import tax is on this thing???

No idea, things are not super clear on this point since brexit...

4 minutes ago, xox said:

finally a modern digital hw synth worth having! imo

def will buy! 

Indeed, and the fact that it's the first product of the company is even more impressive !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheBro said:

spacer.png

This looks nice apparently it's going to be 128 voice polyphony etc. Hope it's 16 part multi timbral too!!!

It's still in early prototype stage but there will be 2 models : VFM37 and VFM61. Regarding synthesis engine here's a few more info from Kodamo : 

"The VFM engine is still based on FM synthesis and will inherit many features found on the EssenceFM (fully modular algorithms, easy patch and waveform creation...) plus other things we can't reveal for now 

VFM37 and VFM61 will probably have different polyphony, and the later uses weighted keys."

Capture d’écran 2021-03-03 à 18.41.38.png

3 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

I prefer ghetto tech

I've seen that a few times. It's novel but it just doesn't sound that nice lol. These Yamaha FM synths are dime a dozen though I see them all the time in second hand ads because no one wants them!!

I guess horses for courses - I bloody love the sound of the old PSS series. Though I'm in no need of the hardware as I've Plogue's PortaFM

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sheatheman said:

i feel like too many people try to push FM to extremes when I’m always trying to get it to be very subtle. 

for the record i agree with this

4 hours ago, mcbpete said:

I guess horses for courses - I bloody love the sound of the old PSS series. Though I'm in no need of the hardware as I've Plogue's PortaFM

Sounds dope.