IGNORED

Amon Tobin Is Amazing

Redruth

..and seems to continue getting better and better. his sounds r so hand-tooled and well crafted and he seems to have such an aggressively creative mind. i've been listening to foley room and out from out where quite alot recently and he is every bit a genius, in his own right. i adored isam and i'm starving for what he's planned next.

this trac / full volume:

[youtubehd]BYjsBxTi-Rc[/youtubehd]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frankie5fingers

i dont listen too much to him but Easy Muffin is freaking awesome. definitely my favorite track by him.

I regard Bricolage and Permutation as brilliant (and for me very nostalgic) albums. Never got too interested in other albums for some reason, everytime I hear some snippets or random tracks it never stands out or compares with the moods on previous mentioned albums. The track in the OP is quite good though.

I saw him live as well twice, one time with that ISAM show, which was fucking annoying, and a month ago when he did a DJ set, which was also really dissapointing. Both experiences had other factors involved then just the music though, but it sure didn't help alot.

So watmm, what is a good Amon Tobin album that is in the vibe of Bricolage and Permutation?

but this..

DmLMQSZ.jpg

[youtubehd]4Q_BDH2eQP4[/youtubehd]

it's cool as like a mini movie at a show, but unfortunately that type of set puts him entirely on a one-track pre-recorded mode. I don't even think he's doing anything live during that as far as i understand.

he played a DJ set at a friends house as the after party for his last ISAM show and it was far more enjoyable than his Vegas-act pre-recorded ISAM '3d' projections

I regard Bricolage and Permutation as brilliant (and for me very nostalgic) albums. Never got too interested in other albums for some reason, everytime I hear some snippets or random tracks it never stands out or compares with the moods on previous mentioned albums. The track in the OP is quite good though.

I saw him live as well twice, one time with that ISAM show, which was fucking annoying, and a month ago when he did a DJ set, which was also really dissapointing. Both experiences had other factors involved then just the music though, but it sure didn't help alot.

So watmm, what is a good Amon Tobin album that is in the vibe of Bricolage and Permutation?

have you gone all the way back to Cujo? those are probably my favorite works by him, in some ways they resemble Luke Vibert's Plug era more than later Amon tobin

Believe it or not, the soundtrack for Splinter Cell 3 has some incredible tracks in a similar vibe to Bric and Perm

have you gone all the way back to Cujo? those are probably my favorite works by him, in some ways they resemble Luke Vibert's Plug era more than later Amon tobin

Oh yeah and Adventures in Foam (cujo).

Such an INCREDIBLE album

I second the choas theory soundtrack, and cujo. The two fingers stuff is ok as well.

I second the choas theory soundtrack, and cujo. The two fingers stuff is ok as well.

I think the first Two Fingers release was great. The newest one just sounded almost like generic beats that he was hoping a rapper somewhere might hear it and pick him up to make beats for him... I was pretty disappointed in it.

That's one sexy box set he got there.

amon3-web.jpg

See those 4 bolts there - one the bastards took a huge nick out of one of the CDs and now I silently cry whenever I look at my box set

i think the natural, biological warmth and digital intensity tobin winds together is rarely achieved by others. he has a very unique style and i for one am completely beguiled by it

Chomp samba yall

yup.

Amon tobin is a fucking genius, no doubt in my eyes, but Im still critical of his keen ear for audio manipulation vs. melodic and other structural techniques.

The Cujo works were a fantastic foray into the drum n' bass acid jazz cutup fuckery of the time, and I'd consider Adventures in Foam as one of the highlights of that period.

Bricolage was a loop intensive but very respectable study into sound collage. Really catchy loops one moment, ultra sequenced jazz-jungle the next (Chomp Samba is fucking AMAZING), and then absolutely uber-epic masterpieces like Mission that really make you want this guy to soundtrack for fucking something, anything!

Permutation was very much a continuation but improvement on his original sound, which really says something. Hyper fast jazz breaks, cleaner breaks and samples in general, smooth grooves and hard cut jams all the same, while maintaining a similar dark and humid jungle motif. Probably my favorite of his works overall. Bridge absolutely still sticks in my mind as a modern masterpiece of plunderphonics and pure unabridged talent.

Supermutation was probably the end of the original Amon Tobin trilogy. It continued on the trajectory that the previous two albums did but something was...different. Straight up hiphop tracks like Saboteur (later featuring Roots Manuva) and the incredibly weird one with that Quadraceptor (honestly to me the weakest track he had done to this point). But Supermutation had brief moments of absolute bliss, where sonic collage work and his oldskool jazz bangouts collided to utter perfection like Get Your Snack On, Chocolate Lovely, Slowly, and the last track (cant remember the name). But you also had catchy but obviously more mainstream pieces like Four Ton Mantis. A very big telling of what was to come.

Out From Out Where was the clear turning point from his own sample heavy but genius jazz heavy jams to very alien soundscapes. To me the HUGE highlights are Searchers and Back from Space, flawlessly incorporating his jazz fetishism with something much greater, on some epic soundtrack that seemed to be the backing to an alien invasion visitation via LSD hallucinations. Fucking amazing album, but for completely different reasons than I loved the previous three albums.

I won't go into it much more than that, but it was clear from Supermodified in parts, and Out From Out Where as a whole, that Amon Tobin became far more interested in sound manipulation as telling a story than the old traditional song writing structures. ISAM is the pinnacle of this, and while I like that album, it nowhere hits the peaks of his old material. Foley Room to a lesser extent feels the same. i'd put his later works in the league of Hecq, massively genius and clean cut sound design, but otherwise lacking major thematic elements that made his jazz/sample heavy output so amazing and astounding.

PS. Not counting Splinter Cell soundtrack, Amon Tobin was born for that, and I really hope to hear more of him on future soundtracking works...he seems born for the part.

out from out where is probably my fav album of his. adventures in foam is a gem.

it's hard to pick favourites, but i've possibly spent the most time with out from out where. it is placed together in such a way which beckons u to listen at one seating; aside from the fact that several of the tracs r literally attached to oneanother.

triple science; woohoo, what a foocking wild ride!

[youtubehd]s_R9LDCSh9g[/youtubehd]

Archived