IGNORED

Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity

Redruth

Do these scores mean anything (other than big blockbuster alert)? What did Avatar have, for example?

Anyway, I reserved tickets for Gravity, gonna see it Thursday night. Found an English screening version, but only in 3D. Language is more important to me though, so I'll cope with the fucking glasses once again I guess.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic movie. The visuals remind me a bit of 2001 and Solaris. I felt really sick after a while from watching it in 3D as the whole environment is in constant rotation

It's funny how the trailer says "At 372 Miles above the earth, there is nothing to carry sound", yet it makes heavy use of sound effects.

the movie makes it sound like how it feels inside the suit or it hides the explosions inside the soundtrack. The effects where only added in the trailer

Saw the movie last night. I was satisfied.

It wasn't what I secretly HOPED for, but it was what I expected - A solid, not overly daring or ambitious but also a not overly stupid action experience with a lot of tense moments and solid acting & effects. It could have been more than that, I think, by allowing itself a little more calm and giving the characters a little more space (get it?), but it's a mainstream blockbuster after all and there's only so much you should expect. It's one of the few action-flicks that are done right - It's the one that doesn't cut away to show an explosion from all possible angles but focuses on the position of the main character within the action, letting you feel like you're really there. The way it should be done, imo. I read in some review that Gravity is a "chamber play set in space" but I disagree with that. It's not a chamber play. Still it was definitely my most positive Mainstream-Cinema-Experience of the recent years.

All other "big films" I've seen where massive disappointments (The Hobbit turned into a CGI-Showreel after the first promising 30 minutes, Prometheus was a disgrace to its own heritage, Avatar was the piece of shit, ... ) - It's been a while since I left a big cinema without a feeling of I-Want-My-Money-Back. So I guess that's good! It was still to expensive though, due to my arch nemesis, the 3rd Dimension. Sandra Bullock was putting on an alright performance, not her best (even though the press is probably gonna praise her for this role), I recall her performance in "Murder By Numbers", which was superior. And Clooney was just playing himself. But I guess it must be hard to act when you're surrounded by strings and greenscreens practically the whole time. This was a film I actually enjoyed the CGI in. It was used in such a way to assist the movie, not to battle it for screentime. My favorite bit of the film was probably the first few minutes before shit started going down, when the film still had its calm. The feeling of solitude was strong and frightening and relaxing at the same time. I could have easily watched them doing repairs on the outside of the ship for half an hour. In fact, the whole film could have been longer, it was generally very entertaining and could have easily lasted another hour. I thoroughly enjoyed the "view" from space, although I can only imagine how cool the film would have looked in 2D.

It's funny how the trailer says "At 372 Miles above the earth, there is nothing to carry sound", yet it makes heavy use of sound effects.

the movie makes it sound like how it feels inside the suit or it hides the explosions inside the soundtrack. The effects where only added in the trailer

Yup, once again, trailers have been misleading. They can make any film seem shit. The sound design in Gravity was very well done - it totally pulled off the tightrope walk between realism and effectiveness. The idea of having the audience hear the sound as the astronauts would experience it within their suits is a simple and brilliant solution. The silence actually made the approaching debris feel more threatening than it would have with regular movie sound effects. I would have preferred it if the film went through with it & had a more minimalistic score, or no music at all, though. Some of the music took away a bit of the tension and mood it created.

One last thing: Do you remember the last time you were on an airplane, flying over the Alps, looking out the window and observing the left side of the mountains with your left eye whilst already gazing around the right side with your right eye due to your stereoscopic vision? Or the time you tilted your head 90° and still watched the sun disappear behind the horizon with one eye while it was already gone for the other? I hope not, because it doesn't make any sense. Things that are a hundred miles away have a tendency to not look 3D in real life, why do they have to do so in movies? 3D-Movies (especially the ones claiming to be in "Real 3D", hence being shot with two cameras instead of relying on After FX collages) should just let this one go. The spaceship approaching in the first shot (which is beautiful otherwise!) sadly ends up looking like a 15 cm cardboard model in front of a wallpaper, or like a fly on a screen. I guess I'm the only one who cares. But I don't understand it. Other than that, the 3D was actually done better than in any other film I've seen.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

yeah it was great. everyone should go see this is imax if possible. worth a extra few bucks

such an overrated film

+1

it was fun to watch and really immersive but the mediocre acting kind of took me out of the story. still overall an enjoyable theatrical experience.

Im really excited about seeing gravity, don't really give a fuck about the 1 dimensional characterizations, i mean this is open water in space on a really high budget right?

Children of Men was exceedingly overrated. It was an extremely haphazard story, Julian Moore was not very convincing at all, that main actor, Clive Owen has zero screen charisma. It was visually beautiful, often stunning to look at, but as a moving story with interesting things happening? barely at all. And the movie was widely praised for being a drama with 'completely unnoticeable cgi' well sorry, but when they baby came out I had a bejmamin button LOL-esque moment. For a scene having to be really emotional and pivotal to the story it was EXTREMELY bizarre to do it in CGI, and no it didn't look convincing. I actually remember Spike Jonez heaping tons of praise on that specific scene, so when I finally saw it I realized also how mentally retarded Spike Jonez is

Guest zaphod

it's really more like 127 hours in space. the effects often work against it as much as they work in its favor. i just don't get how people are letting the horrible writing, acting, score and distracting camera work pass. i guess it has one or two impressive effects sequences, but then, what are the stakes, really, if the whole thing is cgi? who cares if there's a 19 minute take? the movie just plays like a video game. i thought apollo 13 did a better job of dramatizing a space disaster. and people comparing this to 2001 or calling it science fiction are out of their fucking minds. it's a decent popcorn flick, worth seeing in imax for sure, but it's not deserving of this kind of hype.

I was never really excited about it. It turned out to be worse than I thought. It was so horribly cliched, I mean, George Clooney kept doing these one liner utterances like there were Denny's breakfast specials coming out of his mouth. It was sad. Of course it was fun to watch, but it blows my mind that it was sitting at 98% on RT for a while.

"One Helluva Ride" needs to be added to the list of unacceptable speech. And the idea that they just throw in her stupid backstory of her daughter dying. It was the most unearned piece of character vomit I've ever seen. There was zero character in the whole thing.

Did anyone see Europa? That one got past me.

Edit: and the soundtrack...really sad. It was good for maybe a minute, but then I realized there was nothing daring happening at all. Should have done the whole thing with ZERO nondiegetic sound. And no country radio either. It has been done to death in space and everywhere else. It could be original again, but not in Clooney's hands. The way he acted, he may as well have been in Up In The Air 2 (a little bit higher up).

Saw it in 2D

I was really glad about the movie. First of all, it really gives you the idea you've been to space too. When I stepped out of the movie theater I had to reacquaintance to reality and it took me a good 20 minutes. So that's good. There is really no plot in it, but it's not that annoying because in the end you won't miss it. There's just one turning point in character psicology which is really meaningful and very well built. I despise the christian message a little bit (or at least I reckon there's some christian morality in it) but it may just be dismissed as character beliefs (even tho I suspect it's the director beliefs).

Visuals are awesome and errors about physics in space are not that awful. There are moments where they are very wrong, but there are other moments when they are very accurate and those moments made me giggle. For big mistakes, I reckon they made it for the sake of the plot, so it's not such a big deal... at least they tried to cope with it where it was possible.

I reccomend seeing it in 2D, I despise 3D and 3D in this one is obviously recreated though computing, so I don't think it will ad anything to the movie.

I may go and see it again in 3D though, just to see whether my prejudices are right.

In the end I think it's worth it.

p.s. I'm not a fan of this kind of movies, i.e. I refused to go see Avatar, to name one.

it's really more like 127 hours in space. the effects often work against it as much as they work in its favor. i just don't get how people are letting the horrible writing, acting, score and distracting camera work pass. i guess it has one or two impressive effects sequences, but then, what are the stakes, really, if the whole thing is cgi? who cares if there's a 19 minute take? the movie just plays like a video game. i thought apollo 13 did a better job of dramatizing a space disaster. and people comparing this to 2001 or calling it science fiction are out of their fucking minds. it's a decent popcorn flick, worth seeing in imax for sure, but it's not deserving of this kind of hype.

The score was forgettable and should have been dropped completely, and the writing (regarding the characters) was nothing special either. But I wouldn't say it was acted poorly. I mean, George Clooney was just a shallow character to begin with, there was probably nothing to add. But Bullock's performance was pretty decent considering the kind of script she was given. She wasn't great, but not terrible either, I think. What did you hate about it?

Also, I reckon the camera really couldn't have been done any better way. Of course, it's super-easy to have unnoticeable transitions within a shot when 90% is rendered anyways, so it's not that hard to do, but it still works way better than Michael Bay-esque clip montages in terms of action.

I was never really excited about it. It turned out to be worse than I thought. It was so horribly cliched, I mean, George Clooney kept doing these one liner utterances like there were Denny's breakfast specials coming out of his mouth. It was sad. Of course it was fun to watch, but it blows my mind that it was sitting at 98% on RT for a while.

"One Helluva Ride" needs to be added to the list of unacceptable speech. And the idea that they just throw in her stupid backstory of her daughter dying. It was the most unearned piece of character vomit I've ever seen. There was zero character in the whole thing.

Did anyone see Europa? That one got past me.

Edit: and the soundtrack...really sad. It was good for maybe a minute, but then I realized there was nothing daring happening at all. Should have done the whole thing with ZERO nondiegetic sound. And no country radio either. It has been done to death in space and everywhere else. It could be original again, but not in Clooney's hands. The way he acted, he may as well have been in Up In The Air 2 (a little bit higher up).

Yeah Europa is probably the better movie. Gravity is mostly just space entertainment, but I think it works pretty well as such. It's more like going on one of those virtual cinema rides at a theme park with moving seats and the occasional water splashed in your face. Only done well.

And that Bullock backstory was indeed totally unnecessary, like the score.

I reccomend seeing it in 2D, I despise 3D and 3D in this one is obviously recreated though computing, so I don't think it will ad anything to the movie.

I may go and see it again in 3D though, just to see whether my prejudices are right.

I had no choice but to see the 3D Version, and I hate 3D as well, but it was kind of alright in this one. It wasn't the post-production fake cardboard collage 3D (except for the completely rendered shots where they made it to look cardboard for whatever reason) - it seems to have been shot with two cameras as well. So it was my least horrible 3D experience, but I'd still prefer 2D of course.

it's not deserving of this kind of hype.

luckily you are here to dampen peoples expectations

I despise the christian message a little bit (or at least I reckon there's some christian morality in it)

not sure. the rebirth stuff is clear. I suppose rebirth could be seen as religious but I don't think it is necessarily. unless you mean the space is close to heaven aspect...or the talking to the dead people in heaven part...ok maybe there is some religious stuff

I think this film is comparable with Fast & The Furious. Both have the same message. Ride or Die

Yeah

the talk to dead people and angels part. But, as I said, it may be just the character who believes in that kind of thing. But I was a little put off by that, I tried to forget about it quickly just to enjoy the movie.

[/sPOLIER]

Ride or Die

Hahaha. Hollywood producers get together and decide on the general maxim that will be developed across the board for a decade or so. Also in Walking Dead: "You kill or you die, or you die and you kill."

There is no singular artistic vision. It is all homogenized and meaningless.

haven't seen it yet but...Children of Men was overrated too. Pretty much any time there isn't action on the screen it's boring. But the action is eyeball sex...

o no you dit-ten

Archived