IGNORED

VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision

I'm amazed people have withheld listening to this so far. I honestly think I'm overplaying it but I can't stop haha. Definitely my album of the year for 2014. I don't think anything could beat it

Also the Bleep mix is fuckin killer as well

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife pointed out that "Jealousy" uses the backing track to "Callanetics": pelvic scoop exercise.

lol I love this post.

also, please fast forward time so I can have this now thanks.

Everyone should have this now. So good.

Really enjoying the bleep mix... he can make a pretty convincing 80s soundtrack.

yeah it's great alright, the only thing is that little speech over jelousy gets old real fast... I hear enough assholes talking like this in real life. thankfully that killer version of brain damaged is there to make up for it and then some :wtf:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the "preorder" for vinyl....still have only heard the 4sec clips or whatever from like a year ago lulzzz

Really enjoying the bleep mix... he can make a pretty convincing 80s soundtrack.

yeah it's great alright, the only thing is that little speech over jelousy gets old real fast... I hear enough assholes talking like this in real life. thankfully that killer version of brain damaged is there to make up for it and then some :wtf:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the "preorder" for vinyl....still have only heard the 4sec clips or whatever from like a year ago lulzzz

DO IT.

My wife pointed out that "Jealousy" uses the backing track to "Callanetics": pelvic scoop exercise.

Haha, awesome.

The music itself is from this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBMWt98AGM

(I only know this because of a youtube comment... my music trivia knowledge is not that encyclopedic.)

I'm really surprised about this - I always assumed that VHS Head was all about sampling tiny snippets and assembling tunes but this "Callentics" track basically shows that 'Jealousy' is more of an unacknowledged remix of a track by another artist. It's sailing a bit close to the wind in my opinion.

Bit disappointed to find out the track isn't as original as I'd thought.

That youtube comment that Jealousy comes from that other music is incorrect. The "Callenetics" VHS that my wife owns (which she had since then, by the way) is from the '80s. Both artists probably sampled the same source.

That youtube comment that Jealousy comes from that other music is incorrect. The "Callenetics" VHS that my wife owns (which she had since then, by the way) is from the '80s. Both artists probably sampled the same source.

Well, I don't know who wrote the original music but all VHS Head seems to have done is simply speed it up and remove some other stuff. I'd say that's a fair bit more than simply sampling something - this is more like taking someone else's melody in its entirety.

I'm really surprised about this - I always assumed that VHS Head was all about sampling tiny snippets and assembling tunes but this "Callentics" track basically shows that 'Jealousy' is more of an unacknowledged remix of a track by another artist. It's sailing a bit close to the wind in my opinion.

Bit disappointed to find out the track isn't as original as I'd thought.

pretty disappointed about that too. this album did have a lot more songs where he grabbed whole melodies instead of just snippets (compared to trademark ribbons), so i can't say that i'm shocked about this. i originally thought that he composed those melodies as a new thing, guess i was wrong.

I feel like it was pretty obvious that the melody line was a direct lift, there's a lot more going on in that song than just the melody. Plus, the VHS Head version is aesthetically very different.

I dunno. To me, this doesn't sound like his usual technique of sampling tiny snippets and crafting a melody (which is what made his stuff so fresh and incredible) - this is really just lifting someone else's work without any acknowledgement. It's a bit different to just sampling a film ident.

The Francis Monkman original is from 1978. Callenetics presumably used his song for their VHS (which I have not seen), and VHS Head would have of course sampled the Callenetics VHS.

I noticed the date of the youtube video after my post. My mistake. But for all we know, the VHS Head track likely comes from the secondary VHS source, rather than the original track.

i haven't heard this but speaking from a conceptual standpoint idk why this would be disappointing. for one thing it's from a francis monkman piece which monkman wrote for the bruton library which is music explicitly made to be used for other purposes. furthermore, it's pretty common for library music to be used extensively in sample-based music. i mean, even opn uses the bruton library's signature cover design for one of his lps -- is it disappointing that it isn't an "original" cover? plus, this is the post vaporewave world where just slowing stuff down = an entire genre so what's the big deal here?

i haven't heard this but speaking from a conceptual standpoint idk why this would be disappointing. for one thing it's from a francis monkman piece which monkman wrote for the bruton library which is music explicitly made to be used for other purposes. furthermore, it's pretty common for library music to be used extensively in sample-based music. i mean, even opn uses the bruton library's signature cover design for one of his lps -- is it disappointing that it isn't an "original" cover? plus, this is the post vaporewave world where just slowing stuff down = an entire genre so what's the big deal here?

Yeah, I know. In the greater scheme of things, it's really no big deal, I suppose.

Guest jasondonervan

Stumbled across this by accident, kinda off the back of recent discussions above. Total blind find.

^ 5:20: Jealousy:

He also uses a remix of the track in the Callanetics vid at 0:12, in his Bleep Mix (19:04).

VHS Head likes Callanetics, I guess... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah, I dunno. I think part of the problem is probably me. 'Jealousy' is maybe my favourite track from the entire album and yet knowing that he never wrote a single note of that lovely melody kind of takes away a bit of his magic now.

Anyway, like Alcofribas said, it shouldn't really be a big deal.

It is kind of a lazy, cheap way of making a cool sounding track with a nice melody. But I wouldn't otherwise fault VHS for being cheap or lazy... guy must spend a crazy amount of time amassing and slicing up samples to make some incredible music.

It is kind of a lazy, cheap way of making a cool sounding track with a nice melody. But I wouldn't otherwise fault VHS for being cheap or lazy... guy must spend a crazy amount of time amassing and slicing up samples to make some incredible music.

Yeah, still an amazing artist.

Archived