IGNORED

VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awwww yiss

equrFkk.jpg

giphy.gif

Are you the one who put that exact image on Discogs.com?

I didn't put it up on there, someone else put it up there.

but that is indeed my picture of my VHS cassette that Ade gave to me.

Guest bitroast

are you able to make a digital vhs, perhaps?

vinyl copy of persistence arrived yesterday. the vinyl is ultra chunky and sounds great. the packaging, one word ; lush.

it's nice to have a ridiculously lush colour gatefold after the super minimal previous releases.

still haven't listened to the bleep mix. it's almost like i'm nervous to. once I listen to it I wont have new vhs head *n*

are you able to make a digital vhs, perhaps?

vinyl copy of persistence arrived yesterday. the vinyl is ultra chunky and sounds great. the packaging, one word ; lush.

it's nice to have a ridiculously lush colour gatefold after the super minimal previous releases.

still haven't listened to the bleep mix. it's almost like i'm nervous to. once I listen to it I wont have new vhs head *n*

nope, sorry, I don't have a way to digitise VHS tapes. I only have audio stuff unfortunately.

Guest bitroast

@osc - no worries :)

So what's on the VHS visuals wise - am curious !

cut up vhs to go with 3 songs from the record, Dead To Morrow / Red Ocean Apocalypse / Jealousy

http://youtu.be/JS9zW6L9xng ( it sort of looks like the vhs is having tracking issues? could be deliberate ... )

• 3 weeks later...

this is one of the most unique, killer records of the year no doubt.

anyone who compares this to daft punk is a loser. and anyone who claims the sampling is unoriginal is an asshole.

seriously, this is incredible.

other than syro I bet nothing will touch this all year.

this is one of the most unique, killer records of the year no doubt.

anyone who compares this to daft punk is a loser. and anyone who claims the sampling is unoriginal is an asshole.

seriously, this is incredible.

other than syro I bet nothing will touch this all year.

There's all these voices on watmm and I feel the same way without having heard the album yet - but the friend who was going to give it to me for my birthday said he'd rather give me Syro since he has heard Persistence of Vision and it is a piece of shit. :cry:

But I don't believe him.

I loved TROG and thought that Ade couldn’t top that but Persistence turned out to be much better! I thought that TROG was perfect and at the time it was a nice new breath to music I listened to, but now looking back I feel it could be a few songs shorter. Persistence Of Vision is much more coherent and more of an solid album whereas TROG is like a bunch of great tracks thrown together. DPP39/Remote Control combo is great but the stretch from Camera Eyes to Frozen is surreal. Persistence Of Vision slides effortlessly from one song to another through whole album.

Sorry for little derailing but since I don’t really care for resurrecting an old thread (rules etc.) or - god forbid -create a new one I thought to ask here if anyone has heard anything about new Bola? It has been little confusing with Ambrosia 2010->I’m retired/well no I’m not->New music 2013/Still nothing…. goddamn take your finger off the light switch! Shame that Oscillik is taking a breather from WATMM since he seemed to always have a clue of what skam was up to.

Sorry for little derailing but since I don’t really care for resurrecting an old thread (rules etc.) or - god forbid -create a new one I thought to ask here if anyone has heard anything about new Bola? It has been little confusing with Ambrosia 2010->I’m retired/well no I’m not->New music 2013/Still nothing…. goddamn take your finger off the light switch! Shame that Oscillik is taking a breather from WATMM since he seemed to always have a clue of what skam was up to.

10563204_10152985228208465_8742630020204

Looks like he's in Japan.

No but seriously he's been avoiding answering that question it seems. Ambrosia has never been mentioned again, I asked about it on his facebook page a while back I think (when he announced that something new was about to be produced and released) and he usually replies to his comments, but never about Ambrosia. Maybe he has writer's block or something.

10563204_10152985228208465_8742630020204

Looks like he's in Japan.

No but seriously he's been avoiding answering that question it seems. Ambrosia has never been mentioned again, I asked about it on his facebook page a while back I think (when he announced that something new was about to be produced and released) and he usually replies to his comments, but never about Ambrosia. Maybe he has writer's block or something.

It was quite a shot in the dark since I guess there would've been something mentioned here if there were any actual news. He seemed somewhat confident though that he was going to release something last year. New Bola release would be adequate since nearly all IDM heavyweights have been crawling from their holes in the last two years. Thinking BOC, Ziq, Aphex, Arovane etc. Well I hope he's having a jolly good time in Japan. Thanks anyway!

Persistence Of Vision is much more coherent and more of an solid album whereas TROG is like a bunch of great tracks thrown together.

Funny how tastes can differ on already a pretty specific subject; I feel exactly opposite.

I think most tracks from Persistence are very strong individually, with more character of their own than anything on TROG, but that they don't really "stick" to each other when thrown together. What I perhaps love most about Trademark is that it feels like one continuous coherent experience of deranged taped channel surfing.

I think the new album always loses me around Tracking The Moon Beast. That track is just too heavy and messy for me, without actually going anywhere unexpected. It recycles and exaggarates the type of insanity that he'd already perfected with Death dimension. The track is somehow not as fresh as the rest of the album and maybe makes it more difficult for me to digest the second half of the record.

I can imagine if I just skip that one track that I'd love Persistence even more than TROG.

Oh, and I haven't listened to Persistence of Vision at night yet. I cannot fully judge any VHS Head release without having listened to it after dusk.

Persistence Of Vision is much more coherent and more of an solid album whereas TROG is like a bunch of great tracks thrown together.

I think the new album always loses me around Tracking The Moon Beast. That track is just too heavy and messy for me, without actually going anywhere unexpected. It recycles and exaggarates the type of insanity that he'd already perfected with Death dimension. The track is somehow not as fresh as the rest of the album and maybe makes it more difficult for me to digest the second half of the record.

I can imagine if I just skip that one track that I'd love Persistence even more than TROG.

You sir, don’t even dare to think skipping it :sad:. Tracking The Moon Beast is one of the stand-out tracks for me. I guess I love it for the same reasons why you are hating it. But yep, tastes differ. Maybe I was too harsh on TROG in my original post anyway. The beginning tracks do flow nicely together but it does begin to fall apart somewhere in the middle of the album. I really didn’t pay that much attention to it before POV so it’s more of a matter of context. Like I said TROG has a bunch of great tracks and at the end of the day that is what really counts. :closedeyes:

Funny how tastes can differ on already a pretty specific subject; I feel exactly opposite.

I think most tracks from Persistence are very strong individually, with more character of their own than anything on TROG, but that they don't really "stick" to each other when thrown together. What I perhaps love most about Trademark is that it feels like one continuous coherent experience of deranged taped channel surfing.

that's my experience too. i listened to TROG a lot, over headphones , late at night, eyes closed, and i still can't tell a lot of the tracks apart - not because they aren't memorable or different from each other (they bloody well are!), but because i still don't know where some of them begin or end (with obvious exceptions like brain damaged, etc.), the album just has such an amazing flow to it!!

nevertheless i like POV just as much, atm even better - and tracks like tracking the moon beast are part of the attraction, because here vhs head doesn't stop at borrowing a certain sound palette, he actually takes the whole package, melodics, harmonics, rhythm and all, and twists it to his goals. in a way i have to agree, it's one of the less brilliant tracks on the album. but please, sir, don't skip it!!

i wonder if rdj can actually push this album off the top of my favourites of 2014. it's sooo good.

Archived