IGNORED

VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

The cover art is growing on me. Late 80s/early 90s cyber horror.

bleep says its a gatefold sleeve. the cover art could make more sense within context of the rest of the package. colourful inside 3D images and shit *u*

yeah it looks like it was just badly modeled on the new maya or something... too curvy for an 80s ish polygon model -- but who the fuck ever said VHS head was about the 80s or anything lol

I take it that the name is a reference to POV-Ray a.k.a. Persistence of Vision Raytracer.

I don't know ... it is a lol that he forces this on the listener, it must be a little tongue-in-cheek at least, but I fear that pic will guide your imagination in a cheesy direction when listening to the music and also weaken the stylishness of his track titles like "Death Dimension" etc.

Not really a good move imo.

I know a bunch of people who won't be very keen on checking out the music if the cover suggests it's gonna be Deep Trance Vol.56 or something.

But (and this should be more important) - The mini-samples sound very good so far. Reminded me of Tomorrow's Harvest a little for some reason, even though they're only a second long.

Yeah this is a serious case of don't judge a book by its cover. I was personally hoping for the VHS Head logo with a different color background. Keeping it consistent

Guest bitroast

Bleep says its a gatefold. Maybe.. Maybe the whole package will have an awesome design and look really good?? Exai cover looked shit before we saw the actual product !!

As some sort of inlay it could work I guess, it is pretty 80s. But it's actually so 80s that it captures the actual ugliness of the 80s, not the nice retro-warmth of the new-old-80s.

I always got the sense Mr. 'Head wanted to capture the actual ugliness of the 80s (and early '90s) and not (just) the nice retro-warmth of the new-old-80s (and early '90s)

I mean, the source material movies are mostly nightmarish, aesthetically.

I kind of like what he's doing here because it's fucking hideous.

Old, ass-ugly early '90s CGI/poster art vibez. Kind of reminds me of In the Mouth of Madness or sommat.

Besides, he's a musician, not a

Graphic

Designer

( :trashbear: )

A release could come on digital video and VHS, and the VHS is hand mangled. That way there is a point to watching the VHS and watching it deteriorate over time as well, but you still have the digital version as well.

One of my favorite labels put this out, 37 minutes including 10 minute exclusive track not on the cassette release:

both2.png

I'm surprised it isn't more prevalent, VHS players are just easily acquired as cassette tape players, probably more so now. I can hardly find cassette decks or walkmans but VCRs are always around at many thrift stores. You can still get VHS tape pretty easily.

Only drawback I suppose is the time it takes in hand-recording them. In fact, I bet that's why their still rare formats even in the age of tape resurgence.

Didn't OPN put out a VHS release earlier in his career?

One of my friends is in Looks Realistic! He used to post on here as Joebot kill

I know a bunch of people who won't be very keen on checking out the music if the cover suggests it's gonna be Deep Trance Vol.56 or something.

WAT

I was personally hoping for the VHS Head logo with a different color background.

Me too. Would be cool if it's still worked in somehow, like that image silhouetted thru the logo or summat. So at first glance it's like ok kewl colors 'n whatnot then you's take off the black VHS outter sleeve to reveal shizz it's really Mr. Head Type 1A Supernovae

preordered (CD, would like the vinyl but i dont collect vinyl and dont need to get into collecting something that costs 40dollars for a single album since im not a fucking millionaire), dont really give much of a rats ass about the album cover even if i lean towards liking it. i would expect the logo to be on there somewhere, guessing it will be, but who cares? main thing i hope something on it is as good as death dimension

Guest glittablitz

Bearing in mind Mike England did all the artwork this time, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing put together. Album art's so subjective at the best of times.

Excuse my triple post - the guy seems to be releasing mini-snippets (1 sec) track by track. There were two little play symbols there this morning, now there's five.

http://www.vhshead.com/#!persistence-of-vision/cjt3

Also he's confirmed via Facebook this image will be the cover art, but will be reversible with the back (lol?)

9 snippets available now. Waiting for dat 10th.. They all sound great though, even the chicken/breath loop.

Got the promo (there's probably still one more out there to be found!). It only has 1 track on it, which clocks in at 7:30. There's no information about about a track title, so it's not clear what track it is (or whether it's a track from the new album). Due to old/new technology interface issues, I can only get mono output from my VCR right now, so I can't appreciate the track in it's full glory just yet.

The song is built around a distorted tape sound, which is modulated to make chord progressions. While it's recognizably VHS Head, it's also quite a bit different from his other music... the new album might be a change of pace.

Well, I feel kinda stupid. My VCR is NTSC and the tape is PAL. The weird thing is that the artifact introduced by improper playback was modulated by the sounds in the recording, and it sounded similar to the types of artifactual sounds that VHS Head intentionally samples (like in the Murder Cycles). Fortunately there's a reputable company in town that will generate an NTSC format tape from my PAL tape, so I will be in business soon.

lol thats kinda funny

i kinda wish he'd do a mass release on VHS, maybe with just lots of intense images sampled from obscure/random crappy flicks on vhs, maybe processed to be hella neon, maybe some still images, some looped vid clips, just a big collage of madness to go with the entire album on vhs

would buy.

Archived