IGNORED

Under the Skin - Jonathan Glazer

MadameChaos

The Guardian has some interesting stuff to say about it http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/03/under-the-skin-venice-film-festival

Under the Skin is the third British picture to play in this year's competition and provided the festival with its first genuine Marmite moment. Adapted from Michel Faber's 2001 novel, Glazer's film is a bizarre fable of lust and loneliness, casting 28-year-old Johansson as a vampire alien in search of fresh blood. Some saw it as a masterpiece, others as a bore. The film's closing credits played out to an accompaniment of booing.

The film-makers explained that they had used prototype cameras in order to shoot portions of the drama covertly in Glasgow's nightclubs and shopping centres. "It was important that we were part of the environment we were looking at," said Johansson. "So we blurred the lines between reality and fantasy. Such is life. That's the way we interact with each-other anyway."

Under the Skin is only Glazer's third picture in 13 years, following 2000's acclaimed Sexy Beast and his unloved 2004 thriller Birth. He admitted that his idiosyncratic style risks being divisive. "I always enjoy film-making as a personal pursuit and I like to push the form as much as I can," he said. "I wanted to find a visual language to tell this story in an unexpected way and to follow the alien's journey from id to 'it' to 'she'. So I suppose it's experimental for that reason, but not for its own sake."

After shooting in the city centre, the production moved on to locations in the Scottish Highlands. Johansson conceded it had been an arduous shoot. "The forest was hell," she said. "It was cold and wet and terrifying. It was like Scotland was trying to spew us out."

Guest Shit Attack

nah would definetly still watch it but i think reviews do influence people a bit especially when you see something with a low score or watever. probably be a love it or hate it type of movie anyways

looks quite magnificent from what i can deduce, after viewing that abstract clip. i'm guessing glazer really wanted to win after birth, which i personally thought was quite a decent film

unfortunately i missed Birth when it was out, i'll definitely give it a look now. the plot line does look really interesting.

• 1 year later...

Watched this last night and was blown away. The film itself is great, visually slick, Scarlett Johansson super creepy,

and as for the soundtrack it is excellent! It really ramps up the eeriness.

I miss Plum.

With that said, I really enjoyed this film. I downloaded a shitty version and want to get a proper blue ray copy to really take it all in.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Yeah, I thought this film was excellent. Quite fond of Sexy Beast too - haven't seen Birth, will have to track it down

I miss Plum.

With that said, I really enjoyed this film. I downloaded a shitty version and want to get a proper blue ray copy to really take it all in.

I watched it on a plane. this is the only other film - besides Drive - that I have seen on a plane for the first time and actually been able to enjoy.

The book is great, read it before you see the film if you can. Film was good too, great atmosphere, some nice visuals, the stuff with random civilians worked well.

I miss Plum.

I watched it on a plane. this is the only other film - besides Drive - that I have seen on a plane for the first time and actually been able to enjoy.

Fuck, they played Drive on a plane? Dat intense violence

one of the best films of the last few years,,,,, part sci-fi/part Attenborough-esque anthropology doc, loved the hidden camera elements to SJ's cruising scenes and Mica Levi's soundtrack is worth gripping too

twelfty/10

I miss Plum.

Fuck, they played Drive on a plane? Dat intense violence

there was censoring. it was an Etihad flight.

Archived