sheatheman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zelmo Swift

oh my goodness this is wonderful. gosh there's so much piped-in vinyl crackle and tape sounds these days. someone can write a lot about "authenticity" in electronic music. 'course i won't read it, but still.

I can't make a bit of sense of the above post.

Do people on watmm have a hard time accepting aesthetic choices that don't fall in line with 90's hey-day shiny "IDM" ?

There's nothing wrong with Aphex Twin and Autechre, but other people are allowed to make electronic music that doesn't emulate those guys.

Settle down. I just think it's notable that so many artists are choosing to do this and I imagine it's for legitimate aesthetic reasons, which is why I'm *not* interested in reading something that explores it in any kind of grand sense. And for F sake, I said the music was wonderful.

the only thing i can think is that you read my post as entirely ironic, in the common ironic sense. heh, no man, i say oh my goodness and gosh all the time for real. i do love my clean 90s idm, but i'm right there with you on this stuff and probably with you on a lot more like it.

Guest oldenjon

Would WATMM call me a dummy if I said I liked this because it sounded similar to Actress?

Maybe but I wanted to say the same thing. This is fixing my craving for new Actress material

Guest Zelmo Swift

the only thing i can think is that you read my post as entirely ironic, in the common ironic sense. heh, no man, i say oh my goodness and gosh all the time for real. i do love my clean 90s idm, but i'm right there with you on this stuff and probably with you on a lot more like it.

yeah, i thought you were being sarcastic. i shouldn't be a hot-head, though.

I read somewhere that he actually records to tape to get that round, warm, "analog" sound.

Wanda Group employs a lot of that hiss and crackle texture, but the effect doesn't resemble vintage media. To me, it's an entirely new and entirely weird experience.

I wonder how many threads I can talk about my Wanda Group obsession in...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Was listening to this again yesterday. really is a great record and I know nothing about the creator at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Was listening to this again yesterday. really is a great record and I know nothing about the creator at all.

He's done a fair share of interviews, this is the first one I read over a year ago before Colonial Patterns: he's interesting but down to earth guy, really sincere in his influences and technique. I dig when producers are experimental and creative but devoid of pretentiousness.

• 2 weeks later...

He's done a fair share of interviews, this is the first one I read over a year ago before Colonial Patterns: he's interesting but down to earth guy, really sincere in his influences and technique. I dig when producers are experimental and creative but devoid of pretentiousness.

choice interview.

“Definitely, I’ve been producing on my own since I was 17, I am 21 now. I probably didn’t make a decent track until I was 19 though. It’s all trial and error and I’m in no rush. I don’t know why everyone else seems to be.”

holy shit, i dropped the ball massively by ignoring this. this album is really awesome.

yep. thanks my fellow watmm'ers for making me not ignore it any more

• 4 months later...

We are close to the year anniversary of this alb. Since, I have gone backwards and forwards in his catalog. There is a lot I still haven't heard from 2012. Just listening to Aphelia's theme now.

The nice thing is he hasn't departed his straight up dusty house feelers, but has supplemented them in places with experimentation, and he's ultimately arrived at a more refined sound, one that is gritty but minimal, which seems impossible.

He's got at least 2-3 hours of solid material, which is humbling for someone his age.

His track Welfare was officially released on PRB007 a couple weeks ago, which is a compilation. Up to now it had been a floater.

• 1 year later...

Archived