IGNORED

Little Voyager one has busted out of the solar system

Lewps

NASA's spacecraft Voyager one has left our solar system and is now struttin' its way through interstellar space at a speed of 61000kms and hour. It took this little guy thirty six years to break free but he's done it, happy day!!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/voyager-1-exits-solar-system-in-breathtaking-achievement-36-years-after-launch-20130913-2to2h.html

Amazing how it's still sending a signal back when it's so far away and built with decades old technology.

Just 68KB of computing power! Still learning something new about Voyager 1.

I hope EMI is happy that no one in interstellar space will ever hear the Beatles without visiting Earth.

so now what. 5000 years or whatever till it reaches the next point of interest?

lol exactly.. i wonder whats next.. and how are we studying it? radio transmissions? even if it's physics changed completely, would we know? im not sure i understand what the goal is.. but it is awesome and im extremely intrigued.. wish we had a camera pointed out of it and a way to view what it sees.. THAT would be incredible.

so now what. 5000 years or whatever till it reaches the next point of interest?

Well, they mentioned it'll only be able to communicate with Earth until around the year 2025 before I guess it peters out. Hopefully NASA is scheming an updated version of one of these babies so I can see the new craft reach.. another point of interest before I die. I know very little about interstellar space but at least we know Voyager is swimming in plasma, livin' the dream.

Amazing how it's still sending a signal back when it's so far away and built with decades old technology.

Just 68KB of computing power! Still learning something new about Voyager 1.

I hope EMI is happy that no one in interstellar space will ever hear the Beatles without visiting Earth.

Here comes the sun is such a perfect song for aliens to find.

----

Voyager gave us some pretty cool pictures like super volcanoes erupting on one of Jupiter's moons.

Can we make one with out newer technology that will catch up with this one? And make another one to catch up with that one? Every 30 years? That's a tradition I can get behind.

*votes for The Concept Of Space Traditions as Most IDM 2014*

Archived