IGNORED

Competitive Eating

Redruth

13-pound bowl of pho? 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes? 337 chicken wings? how is this possible? can u explode / die from eating or drinking too much? r these people all very stupid? what pleasure can be derived from such nonsense? they all look as though they r completely miserable in the end; do they immediately toss the foods back out, off camera? i've always known it existed but i find myself more and more perplexed by the thought of competitive eating and it looks as though it is becoming more and more widely accepted as a valid form of competitive sport. young people paying for their schooling with their earnings and whatnot; very strange.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/competitive-eating/

http://www.competitiveeaters.com

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=competitive+eating

of course there is this:

[youtubehd]zK0JaEde4VI[/youtubehd]

Guest RadarJammer

i'm working on a documentary about a secret society who exploits food eating contests to explore their sexual fetishes and to increase the magical potency of their dark fantasy

Guest fiznuthian

I think some watmm folk have mentioned Takeru Kobayashi before..

Here he is drinking/eating an enormous amount of coffee:

[youtubehd]EJycKhaqC8c[/youtubehd]

I don't understand how he did this. I tend to brew my coffee on the strong side and at times have definitely overdosed.. I would end up feeling crazed and unable to sleep all night, among other symptoms that come and go. 42 cups?!

Also.. Taxidermia!

[youtubehd]SUUUZKYApoc[/youtubehd]

I don't understand "cup" of coffee. Where I'm from, a cup is 250ml. Those "cups" aren't even close to 250ml. Also my coffee maker shows "16 cups" on it but it's certainly not 4 liters...

Any insight?

Also, if those were fully caffeinated he would probably actually die. I think the lethal dose is somewhere between 2-3grams depending on the person. Each 250ml (again, not sure what a "cup" is) should contain around 160mg caffeine. So.. he would die if it was fully caffeinated.

edit: a quick google search says 1g caffeine is toxic and potentially lethal...

Guest fiznuthian

I don't understand "cup" of coffee. Where I'm from, a cup is 250ml. Those "cups" aren't even close to 250ml. Also my coffee maker shows "16 cups" on it but it's certainly not 4 liters...

Any insight?

Also, if those were fully caffeinated he would probably actually die. I think the lethal dose is somewhere between 2-3grams depending on the person. Each 250ml (again, not sure what a "cup" is) should contain around 160mg caffeine. So.. he would die if it was fully caffeinated.

You're right.. :facepalm: myself.

Of course it's decaffeinated..

Guest fiznuthian

hey! it wasn't a jab at you!

I just don't understand what a "cup" is? =/

But yeah, probably decaffe =)

Haha oh I know, I just felt stupid.. I completely forgot decaf existed there.

I think cup, as defined in the video, is the teacups he's drinking from but not a specific measurement.

Who knows what volume they are. Still, he drinks a lot of it!

I don't understand how he did this. I tend to brew my coffee on the strong side and at times have definitely overdosed.. I would end up feeling crazed and unable to sleep all night, among other symptoms that come and go. 42 cups?!

I actually helped write and was art director on that breuer/kobi coffee video. hung with kobi a few times. 100% class act that dude.

Guest fiznuthian

I actually helped write and was art director on that breuer/kobi coffee video. hung with kobi a few times. 100% class act that dude.

Nice! He seems like a cool guy. Tends to eat very healthy when he's not eating lots of food I think.

Joey Chestnut is the fucking man. Eater X Tim Janus for runner up.

Nathan's Coney Island in NY sponsors a hot dog eating contest every year. ESPN (US sports network) picks it up & actually has breakdowns of the competitors history, eating stats & records they hold. The stats are beyond IDM.

Any insight?

i think it depends on how the coffee is made. ive experienced very caffeinated coffee with french press style. one cup sends me flying. but i can drink quasi espresso style coffee all day. i think it matters how long the grounds are exposed to the water

Any insight?

i think it depends on how the coffee is made. ive experienced very caffeinated coffee with french press style. one cup sends me flying. but i can drink quasi espresso style coffee all day. i think it matters how long the grounds are exposed to the water

So "cup" isn't used in the sense that it is a measurement of volume so much as perhaps the caffeine content?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Any insight?

So "cup" isn't used in the sense that it is a measurement of volume so much as perhaps the caffeine content?

Dude, a cup is a cup. They come in all different shapes and sizes. You see him pick up cups and drink from them. It's irrelevant in this case anyway as he doesn't even drink all the liquid in them - he doesn't tip them far enough back. The cup counter is not a scientific measurement in this case, the vid is a pisstake. Jesus!

Any insight?

Dude, a cup is a cup. They come in all different shapes and sizes. You see him pick up cups and drink from them. It's irrelevant in this case anyway as he doesn't even drink all the liquid in them - he doesn't tip them far enough back. The cup counter is not a scientific measurement in this case, the vid is a pisstake. Jesus!

Read my question before writing a response like that.

How can my fucking coffee maker have "16 cups" on the side, as a scientific measurement, when cups are of all different shapes and sizes? How can they put a SCIENTIFIC MEASUREMENT, IE, an ABSOLUTE VOLUME, if cups are all different shapes and sizes, while simultaneously sidestepping the commonly accepted measurement of a cup which is 250ml. On my coffee maker. Do you understand?

Archived