IGNORED

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Terpentintollwut

12843_500_800_scale.jpg

So the sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent just got released about two weeks ago. I've been looking forward to this for quite a bit, considering the original Amnesia is probably the scariest game I have played to date, and AMFP got delayed like a year or so. I thought I dedicate it its own thread since some people might have missed it.

A friend got it for me for my birthday and I just started playing, am about 4 hours into the game now (people say it's only 6 hours long but I barely even saw anything, I'm a slow player as always) - so far, some good ideas and some not-so-good ideas. Story seems deep and the notes are pretty well written. Curious to see how it all turns out.

I'm not sure about the influence of The Chinese Room, the other company involved, but Frictional used to be a company consisting of five or six guys, so I guess the money is well invested anyway.

Anyone else playing it currently or planning on getting it?

I'm a fan of thechineseroom in that Dear Esther is probably my favorite interactive experience game. Such a hidden gem. I've been following the development of AMFP a bit and what I've seen looks promising. They do atmosphere very well.

Plan on getting it once i get bootcamp setup with Windows on my new computer.

It wasn't scary at all. Because they were pigs. And frankly I think humanoid monsters and what not are scarier. The fact that they resemble a human suggests the possibility that it has intelligence, can run fast, has the opposable thumb, can be agile, outsmart you, do things, be having thoughts, etc... For me that's always scarier than something that resembles an animal or beast.

Also the fact that the light never burned out completely obliterated the survival element, which made Amnesia so good. The need to carefully save your oil/light and be strategic about it, that's no longer a part of the game.

The pigmen are fine, they're pretty horrible, actually. The problem for me is the flashback of his kids running about and their voices echoing... seems to cliché and we've seen it a billion times before. Wonder why they put that in. Some other elements are obviously well thought through. But so far, Pigs seems a little more mainstream than Dark Descent.

Also I don't get why the removed the ability to pick up objects and mess with the physics engine - it's still there, but interaction is limited to chairs for some reason. It really made me take the environments more seriously in Dark Descent, being able to interact with almost everything. They probably removed that feature so the puzzle-items are easier to find... which is another downpoint - the puzzle design is boring and meticulous.

However, the visual style of the game is pretty neat and especially the sound design seems even more mature than in Dark Descent - will continue playing today. No idea what else the game's got in store.

Archived