IGNORED

Tropic of Cancer - Restless Idylls

MadameChaos

Blerp have just named this their album of the week, i think it sounds pretty nice.

TOC_LP_Cover_BEB_2013_web.jpg

Since their inception in 2009, Tropic Of Cancer's chilling post-punk has amassed them a loyal following. Blackest Ever Black are behind their full length album 'Restless Idylls', a bleak, deadpan but darkly romantic record. With original co-founder Juan Mendez now departed, it's a solo effort by LA's Camella Lobo. However, Downwards head Karl O'Connor lends a veteran's touch with additional production duties. Opening with the icy, synthesised landscape of 'Plant Lillies At My Head', Lobo progresses through drum-machine driven, doomy cold-wave - 'Court Of Devotion' - sparse and ghostly, glimmering guitars - 'Hardest Day' - and ragged, yearning, drone - 'More Alone'. As the final pattering drums and shards of synthesizer uncurl on final track 'Rites Of The Wild', it becomes clear that this is a personal album for one so steely, grandiose drama rippling through its dark depths, emotions poised on the edge of a knife.

I tried to pick this up on CD the other day from the shop and the clerk said it wasn't out til next month? Did that fucker lie to me, or is just digital/vinyl out now and CD is next month?

The TOC stuff is the only one I consider really refreshing to the already slaughtered 80ties wave movement. I never thought the album would fill me up with such dark thoughts and sadness but it does.

I tried to pick this up on CD the other day from the shop and the clerk said it wasn't out til next month? Did that fucker lie to me, or is just digital/vinyl out now and CD is next month?

Physical release is Oct. 1, but the digital is out now.

Archived