IGNORED

Planet Rephlex - Interview with Grant

Herr Jan

grant is like closer to my age. i think they take the internet too seriously. its been the biggest change in the world in the last what 13 years. he thinks what people do online is who people are, but i dont think its that way. people sound one way online and another in life. everyone is a moaner on the net. it comes across that way for some reason. they need to lighten up

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i honestly don't know if i can take anything they seriously anymore at least in interviews. Like when Aphex said Raime was really good, i almost think he was joking, because listen to any Raime track and it's simply impossible that he believes that

i don't know I'm just being an asshole. Last night I almost went to see Raime because I remembered Aphex mentioned him an interview, went to blackest black ever listened to samples and was actually shocked that I had almost fallen for an emperor with no clothes like scenario (of course not one as extreme as Salem for example) but seriously, it sounds like someone using a rompler drum machine doing 'dark' background music for a national geographic show about lions from 2005. ITs seriously bizarre to me how popular Raime is. im very confused

i don't know I'm just being an asshole. Last night I almost went to see Raime because I remembered Aphex mentioned him an interview, went to blackest black ever listened to samples and was actually shocked that I had almost fallen for an emperor with no clothes like scenario (of course not one as extreme as Salem for example) but seriously, it sounds like someone using a rompler drum machine doing 'dark' background music for a national geographic show about lions from 2005. ITs seriously bizarre to me how popular Raime is. im very confused

Lol

You don't have to like everything our lord and saviour likes :)

I suspect he has a thing for some nightmarishly dark dreamlike stuff. After reading this Grant interview I had to hunt down this Leo Anibaldi album on Rephlex and was amazed how close it sounds to saw2. In a way it's even better because it is more varied. Although some of the melodies on saw2 are just timeless and above anything on void, the similarity was pretty obvious to my ears. Again, pretty dark stuff i can imagine someone would dream up in some lucid state. Which, to my ears counts for raime as well. More or less...

I tried telling you all - he's done. He has no need to release anything anymore. I'll be really surprised if we see any release (that is directly attributed to him) before the decade's out (that's 2020 for those struggling over the maths)

I still have some confidence that he'll release something (probably with a new alias), especially because of the accounts of Steve Beckett and Luke Vibert. Take into account that Grant downplays the man's myth and the anticipation for his music, seeing how Rephlex plans are often postponed endlessly or scrapped completel (and because it should be just about the music). He might just keep his plans to himself until they just have it done, like with the new AFX tracks that were added to the Analord series on the Rephlex site, or even the announcement of the Analord series themselves. Didn't Aphex also said he retired after Windowlicker?

Point is: Don't expect anything new from the man, and if you get something, it's a bonus. Go listen to new Rephlex albums regardless of who it is. And to Leo Anibaldi's Void!

I tried telling you all - he's done. He has no need to release anything anymore. I'll be really surprised if we see any release (that is directly attributed to him) before the decade's out (that's 2020 for those struggling over the maths)

What about his contract with warp? Steve Beckett Warp 20 yadda yadda.

maths

I doubt Aphex has made / is making enough dough from just live sets and catalog sales to be set for life, income-wise. As soon as they figure out how to sell an album and actually make money from it, I think they will do so. Perhaps a re-release of something old, or perhaps new music.

I think what they are trying to avoid is releasing something just because they are `supposed` to, having it be the talk of the internet for like 1 week, and then it going away / everyone just downloading it. I can see the idea of making music `just to play around the house` making sense if the only other alternative is releasing it only to have it be stolen 1 million times and complained about the rest.

I have to give them credit, Grant is a good friend. Hes running a business and doesnt seem that concerned with making money. Richard could really strike while the iron is hot right now, make an incredible Dub step album or something. Blow away Shirllex and tour and make 30 million dollars. He could make a shit load of money right now. They are men of principle and ive always admired them for that

i honestly don't know if i can take anything they seriously anymore at least in interviews. Like when Aphex said Raime was really good, i almost think he was joking, because listen to any Raime track and it's simply impossible that he believes that

you are so predictably contrarian. like, in every single post. every single one, there's some contrarian/holier-than-thou sentiment in there.

I once considered devising a drinking game based on this concept but realised it would end up with everyone getting alcohol poisoning.

i don't know dude, are you sure you arent being tricked? because I listened to raime with an open mind and was shocked at what I heard. It's not contrarian to hear something talked about by one of your favorite musicians and to be absolutely stunned when you're sitting there listening to it waiting for something interesting or memorable to happen over a 60hz sine wave with djembe sample through a bunch of reverb.

So Aphex Twin slides into decline. Throws in the towel, gives up and just sort of does nothing for the rest of his days?

Fucking nice one mate. Good luck to you.

See you in the next life.

(We shall see)

Guest jasondonervan

we just have to out live aphex. surely they would release a posthumous box set

Yeah, but you know all we'd get is Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-issue) (1xLP)

Really? I think they create a pretty good atmosphere.

i dont really care TOO much, but people in this thread have speculated on whether or not what grant says represents rich, and isn't it kind of relevant that it's sorta bullshit when grant specifically says that rich never said he was going to do another record? grant was trying to put that off on warp or whoever, that they were making claims without rich's involvement in those claims, maybe to spur him on. but it seems to me that there have been several interviews with the man himself, where yes indeed he has suggested or outright said that he had albums, with the insinuation that they would get released. i mean it's kind of insinuated when you just mention that you are doing albums in an interview where its the interviewers job to find out what you are up to that might be relevant to the world. so even if all rich said was that he was making albums, and not that he was going to release them, it's still totally implied, and he would have been fully aware of that. so i have to call BS on grant saying that rich never said anything about putting out albums. he has. multiple times.

you are so predictably contrarian. like, in every single post. every single one, there's some contrarian/holier-than-thou sentiment in there.

I once considered devising a drinking game based on this concept but realised it would end up with everyone getting alcohol poisoning.

i don't know dude, are you sure you arent being tricked? because I listened to raime with an open mind and was shocked at what I heard. It's not contrarian to hear something talked about by one of your favorite musicians and to be absolutely stunned when you're sitting there listening to it waiting for something interesting or memorable to happen over a 60hz sine wave with djembe sample through a bunch of reverb.

This reminds me of that time years and years ago when I read that RDJ liked Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as breakbeat samples and assumed this was legit:

when in fact that was p2p nonsense...but this is legit:

Also, if I recall correctly, RDJ mentioned Raime because they too were playing Sonar 2011 and referring to them (he'd already performed with Die Antwood at that point too) was a quick and readily available answer in the interview.

So it could go either way. I prefer trying to source his influences in his actual music, as I know John and most of us do here in the Aphex subforum.

Archived