IGNORED

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic

Guest pixelives

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked one up having never heard his stuff before.

It's sounding real nice so far. The first track on Side B is the highlight for me. Also, one of the tracks is on GTA V.

Impressed with the presentation of the vinyl too.

• 2 months later...

Is it something WATTMMMERRRSSS like though? It's very much CLUB music for the most part. It's been getting a fair few awards throughout the 'dance music' online community.

An enjoyable album for me but I feel the first half is a bit too samey. I actually prefer the later stages where he varies things up a bit.

I reckon his next album will be better.

• 2 weeks later...

This album doesn't seemed to of burned out on me, he's obviously put a lot of time and effort into making this a well-rounded set of tunes. Before I bought this I read a lot of reviews complaining that the LP was drawn out and stretched a bit thin. I don't really hear that at all.

I definitely think he's an Underworld fan, I can hear their influence in this. The lad is only 21 or summat, good luck to him.

This album doesn't seemed to of burned out on me, he's obviously put a lot of time and effort into making this a well-rounded set of tunes. Before I bought this I read a lot of reviews complaining that the LP was drawn out and stretched a bit thin. I don't really hear that at all.

I definitely think he's an Underworld fan, I can hear their influence in this. The lad is only 21 or summat, good luck to him.

Definitely, he's acknowledged them and the Chems as influences (the acid-y bits sound a lot like the acid-y tones The Chemical Brothers used, very similar pacing and vocal snippets too)

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1739

Surprised I didn't pick up on the Underworld influence the first time, the title track is practically an homage to them. I also picked up on some sounds reminiscent of Orbital's In Sides the first time I heard this. Only about halfway through now so I can't recall which track(s) it was.

I was going to comment earlier that I felt this was too long. Then I decided not to say that. Now I'm saying that. Approaching the end of "New Energy (Live Through It)" and I could easily call it quits. I probably had a similar feeling in the previous track. No denying i can get impatient though, any given day there are 10 albums I want to listen to and I only get through 3-5 these days. The last track is more of a return to what I liked about the album. I think it just had a 3/4 point lull like some DJ sets can have. Ah and you know what? It's this track, "Knowing We'll Be Here", that reminded me of Orbital's In Sides.

I'm fairly sure he's around 27. I hear influences of Paul Woolford 'Erotic Discourse', John Tejada 'The End of it All' and Booka Shade v MANDY tracks, all of which were big tunes when I first started properly getting into "clubbing". I'm the same age.

I was going to comment earlier that I felt this was too long. Then I decided not to say that. Now I'm saying that. Approaching the end of "New Energy (Live Through It)" and I could easily call it quits. I probably had a similar feeling in the previous track.

It doesn't really have a narrative, I enjoyed it but I never felt completely engaged (like a good DJ set) nor emotionally and mentally stimulated as I would have been with say a good ambient or drone track. The fact that the tracks flow into each other is a bit of a fault. Good album nonetheless, a wonderful debut and all, but it's one of those "should stick to EPs and 12"s" kind of albums imo.

Archived