IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - The Colundi Sequence

Herr Jan

That interview is hilarious. Especially the end, its like he is worried he may not have come off as crazy enough to drum up publicity so he keeps adding more and more mad stuff. Contrast this to the bit when the interviewer manages to dispassionately and pretty accurately describe the Colundi sound with a few touchstones, demystifying it and making Aleksi sound even crazier.

And the bit when he admits he doesn't even know how Grant arrived at the sequence, I can just imagine a room with arcane books, skull candles, compasses & protractors scattered about amid a lot of spliff smoke.

Take everything the Rephlex crew says with a pinch of salt, the are longtime masters of cryptic promotion and it seems with Colundi the have found fantastic music and a nice little gimmick where they can flog all kinds of bespoke bollocks, festival tickets, t-shirts etc. They are moving with the times, business-wise. And the growth of these events seem to suggest they're doing a good job.  I don't doubt the sincerity of Aleksi and Grant's intentions re:tuning experiments, and music production and the tunes speak for themself. But the stuff about uniting all world religions with IDM? call me a cynic... 

I would like to get to one of the Coundi events sometime to get a vibe of it myself but its so fucking weird and cult-sounding I can't convince even my most freakiest of mates to drive out the arse end of nowhere with no drugs on the hopes of some vague spiritual experience. 

was listenning to the last legowelt release on new york haunted and...this track remind me colundi vibes things...:

https://newyorkhaunted.bandcamp.com/track/nyh80-04-coverti-world-pier-schateiland

what do you think?

I hear what you mean, I think it's more of a case of being inspired by the same sources (I mean Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, etc.). This new Legowelt sounds very influenced by Unit Moebius again this time too, which is good.

heh. is there a thread / post on here that talks about the scale? i mean, i get that it's different and it sounds cool and is based on pulsar souls or whatever, but i'd like to know some more technical / music theory stuff.

This interview is worth a look.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2567

Having read this now, two weeks or so after having first heard Alexi Perälä's "Mental Union" and parts of "The Colundi Sequence Vol. 1", I will have to consider well if I want to continue supporting something like this. Whoever compared it to a cult was accurate. I recommend anyone to reconsider too whether they want to be associated to something like this. There are past precedents. And something else just came to mind. About two years ago, Richard D. James was interviewed by the Guardian, where he implied that the September 11 terrorist attacks were carried out by the US government. It may not be connected, but you cannot deny that there is now not an imminent risk to their work, where their music is being compromised by these supposed inspirations leading to closing down a relevant label, plans to purchase land to build a community and who knows what else.

lol

P.S. Grant just archived the colundi facebook group, as in locked the whole forum. What now?

commence drinking of the Kool-Aid

great, now the group is archived. i miss the old days of colundi when you could actually purchase some really good music as physical releases instead of reading mystical gibberish in a facebook group.

They made at least $1,700 from Level 16 on bandcamp if everyone paid the minimum.

Has he considered selling the product people want instead of begging for money otherwise?

They made at least $1,700 from Level 16 on bandcamp if everyone paid the minimum.

Has he considered selling the product people want instead of begging for money otherwise?

I'm not their accountant but the money made through that bandcamp would probably go to Aleksi? These are two seperate things? I think the money issue talked about is about the festival ( still for sale though; http://colundi.net/security-unconvention.php ) and the money people gave for chipping in for a second piece of land that was spoken of a few months ago? I hope it's all sorted by now though...

It's weird this braindance drama happens right after that Rephlex article on Bandcamp too.

edit: he's still on twitter anyway: https://twitter.com/rephlexrecords - maybe it's just a temporary break? Whatever, as long as Aleksi will keep on doing his thing anyway.

I'm not their accountant but the money made through that bandcamp would probably go to Aleksi? These are two seperate things? I think the money issue talked about is about the festival ( still for sale though; http://colundi.net/security-unconvention.php ) and the money people gave for chipping in for a second piece of land that was spoken of a few months ago? I hope it's all sorted by now though...

It's weird this braindance drama happens right after that Rephlex article on Bandcamp too.

edit: he's still on twitter anyway: https://twitter.com/rephlexrecords - maybe it's just a temporary break? Whatever, as long as Aleksi will keep on doing his thing anyway.

AP Colundi Sequence and GWC colundi.net are one and the same aren't they? Assumed at this point they're a team and share the income.