IGNORED

Rephlex closed down

BCM

No, looking at the database we have here, whats on the site now is what we launched with. :(

so uh, they never got in touch with you about any problems updating or anything like that? they just paid you to design them a website and then... never.. once.. updated it? i'd think if i paid for a site i would want to get some decent use out of it, or conversely if i knew i was going to be cutting back on releases, i simply wouldn't have a new site designed.

not exactly the smartest way to run an operation, barring some unforeseen circumstance/emergency..

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seems like surely at least some new releases were added to that site before they stopped updating?

Monolith Vol. 1 and the Analord outtakes were the new releases on launch. After that, nothing was added.

From our perspective (the developers of the site) we are disappointed that not one single new release got added to the site after we launched it. Here's hoping that Rephlex change their mind and come back with something better or update the current one. :)

Oh, you guys were the developers for the redesign? I would have LOVED to sit in on that meeting to discuss the redesign!

Did you give them an easy to use interface for updating the site? Really sad they never bothered to use the tools you gave then...

my guess is that rephlex isn't looking to sell anything digital anymore.

you can't get the new bochum welt or d'arcangelo anywhere as flac or mp3 online (or any of the releases from the past 3 years for that matter).

it seems like a perfect counter to filesharing though, this way it takes way longer for it to reach the filesharing-networks.

you can't get the new bochum welt or d'arcangelo anywhere as flac or mp3 online (or any of the releases from the past 3 years for that matter).

it seems like a perfect counter to filesharing though, this way it takes way longer for it to reach the filesharing-networks.

So you're saying because they aren't providing the digital versions, this has curbed online piracy of their material?

I think it's more a case of the artists being so niche and obscure nobody's bothered sharing them... and I don't mean that as a slight against the artists themselves.

If anything, I would think NOT providing digital versions would increase their chances of being pirated online.

It could also be Rephlex's niche audience holding true to their ethos and not pirating it out of respect...

hmm i should've said: it's a perfect counter against instant-filesharing. it's indeed something that works against them in the long run, since (i think) more and more people aren't looking for a physical collection (myself included).

To be honest they've been probably too busy spinning various back stories about their new artists - In 2014 we have a new ep by Prilchard Jims, a Lithuanian pre-teen making acid fuelled braindance using old analogue gear he found whilst he was living on the streets of Vilnius. Funded by the local government the 12'' charts a variety of styles from the AFX style jams of cun7 ph3cker v.24 to the Polygon Window-esque melodies of VBX.CLAMs.CHOWDER.neuf9

Personally I have to say that I've skipped a few Rephlex releases just because I can't be arsed to get a physical copy. Especially CDs which I'm going to rip anyway and then just store somewhere never to be used again.

what?

I guess you're not looking hard enough

cd?!

To be honest they've been probably too busy spinning various back stories about their new artists - In 2014 we have a new ep by Prilchard Jims, a Lithuanian pre-teen making acid fuelled braindance using old analogue gear he found whilst he was living on the streets of Vilnius. Funded by the local government the 12'' charts a variety of styles from the AFX style jams of cun7 ph3cker v.24 to the Polygon Window-esque melodies of VBX.CLAMs.CHOWDER.neuf9

FUCKING LOL... comedy gold right there!

what?

cd?!

hehe silly you

i was talking legally (as they say)

LOL - I thought you meant illegally...

what?

cd?!

hehe silly you

i was talking legally (as they say)

ohhh I thought you were on about just online altogether

Yeah, I guess these days we expect when people say mp3s, they're talking pirated ones... perhaps the times are changing?

In 2014 we have a new ep by Prilchard Jims, a Lithuanian pre-teen making acid fuelled braindance using old analogue gear he found whilst he was living on the streets of Vilnius. Funded by the local government the 12'' charts a variety of styles from the AFX style jams of cun7 ph3cker v.24 to the Polygon Window-esque melodies of VBX.CLAMs.CHOWDER.neuf9

sounds awesome

Guest scientist

No, looking at the database we have here, whats on the site now is what we launched with. :(

so uh, they never got in touch with you about any problems updating or anything like that? they just paid you to design them a website and then... never.. once.. updated it? i'd think if i paid for a site i would want to get some decent use out of it, or conversely if i knew i was going to be cutting back on releases, i simply wouldn't have a new site designed.

not exactly the smartest way to run an operation, barring some unforeseen circumstance/emergency..

No, we looked after the site for a year (both back end and customer facing) but once that year was up, it never got updated or looked after. Site moved hosts and it started to fall apart after that. Beyond our control.

Guest jasondonervan

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but when the site re-launched, didn't everything immediately show up on filesharing? If that was the case, I can't imagine Grant being too enthusiastic updating it with anything since then.

Yeah, I guess these days we expect when people say mp3s, they're talking pirated ones... perhaps the times are changing?

When i hear mp3, i wonder why they didn't say wav or flacc, these days innit.

Guest dylanmcknd

I always really loved the rephlex website. It sure as hell looks and more importantly, works, better than basically any other label site i can think of. Well, I guess it doesn't work, because no updating, but you get what I'm saying.

Archived