IGNORED

Rephlex closed down

BCM

Since then, everyone named himself pissflaps at one point of his online career.

Thanks scientist for speaking up. No offense to you or anything, but i really missed the old mech robot from the old (green) rephlex page. ;D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I have to say that I've skipped a few Rephlex releases just because I can't be arsed to get a physical copy. Especially CDs which I'm going to rip anyway and then just store somewhere never to be used again.

would be cool if rephlex released new stuff that wasn't so deeply rooted in Tuss-esque braindance too. They were still doing that for a while but seemed to have moved specifically to the new 'wait is this a new aphex alias' fake label thing. Im not saying I dislike stuff like Jodey Kendrick, or EOD. I dig them both, but i miss them branching out into more genres as a label

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but when the site re-launched, didn't everything immediately show up on filesharing? If that was the case, I can't imagine Grant being too enthusiastic updating it with anything since then.

So let a few assholes ruin the party for everyone then? I don't know whether to call that a crisis of confidence, a child like reaction or just naivety about the way data is spread over the internet.

as a label, they had so many obscure releases streaming that no one besides an ultra hardcore rephlex fan would bother to dig all those up on a file sharing network. Seemed at least to me like one of the cleanest, most straight forward label archival services I've ever seen, and from one of the most interesting labels out there no less. Huge huge shame if you ask me. If this was a money thing I suppose it would make some sense, but then again they do absolutely no paid marketing whatsoever for their stuff.

Has Rephlex ever reprinted old releases, or are they all a one-time prints? I'm sure they could earn good money reprinting some of their old classics.

the site's been nonoperational for a loooooooooooong time. i bought some stuff few years ago and never received anything, so i STOLE IT FROM THE INTERWEBZ. take that, rephlex.

no, but seriously, i think they just can't be arsed to do anything. it's been like that for a long time. so who cares. it's not like now it's gonna get worse. there's no worse. the braindance dream is dead.

Has Rephlex ever reprinted old releases, or are they all a one-time prints? I'm sure they could earn good money reprinting some of their old classics.

Yeah, seeing how well Skam did with Lego Feet and Warp with BOC and Aphex re-releases they are sitting on a pile of money. Even just the RDJ stuff in the back catalog..

No, looking at the database we have here, whats on the site now is what we launched with. :(

so uh, they never got in touch with you about any problems updating or anything like that? they just paid you to design them a website and then... never.. once.. updated it? i'd think if i paid for a site i would want to get some decent use out of it, or conversely if i knew i was going to be cutting back on releases, i simply wouldn't have a new site designed.

not exactly the smartest way to run an operation, barring some unforeseen circumstance/emergency..

No, we looked after the site for a year (both back end and customer facing) but once that year was up, it never got updated or looked after. Site moved hosts and it started to fall apart after that. Beyond our control.

Man, that sucks. Disappoint!

Yeah, seeing how well Skam did with Lego Feet and Warp with BOC and Aphex re-releases they are sitting on a pile of money. Even just the RDJ stuff in the back catalog..

My cat ate the sleeve of my legofeet re-issue.

It's ruined =(

Well you know, sometimes the computer desk is too full of crap to put your bowl of tuna salad on, then the flat open territory found above the legofeet record seems to make sense.

/after that, enter cat

Rephex releases feel like abandonware. So many unique, great releases. It's like the label has always reflected the cluttered bedroom studio aesthetic of the music - a bunch of scattered tapes and burned CDs of random tracks under the bed and in a box at the top of the closet somewhere. You can't say they didn't stick to their roots!

• 2 months later...

Just tried to purchase some music from them... Didn't happen. I've had http://www.rephlex.com/releases open in a tab for so long I didn't realize that the site had stopped functioning. I could listen to the previews, add stuff to my cart, even change my password but could then not log in. So strange, why is it still up? Just add a "don't waste your time" banner at the top of every page...

Just tried to purchase some music from them... Didn't happen. I've had http://www.rephlex.com/releases open in a tab for so long I didn't realize that the site had stopped functioning. I could listen to the previews, add stuff to my cart, even change my password but could then not log in. So strange, why is it still up? Just add a "don't waste your time" banner at the top of every page...

The site actually works fine if not better than before. Just make sure to log in. When it redirects after the log in, just simply hit the back button and everything works. I just bought D'arcangelo's 'Shipwreck' and this method worked fine. I'm assuming the redirect is Grant trying to say something. *shrug*

The site actually works fine if not better than before. Just make sure to log in. When it redirects after the log in, just simply hit the back button and everything works. I just bought D'arcangelo's 'Shipwreck' and this method worked fine. I'm assuming the redirect is Grant trying to say something. *shrug*

Still, shitty way to run a business - making it as hard as possible for users to buy your products... *shakes head*

ultimately it just does a huge disservice to the artists signed to the label, especially the newer ones. At least hand off the administrative and database duties to someone else who cares. The very least they could do is have the new stuff up there, which would take probably 2-3 hours of work for someone with moderate web experience. So is having a crisis of confidence reason enough to not put in this small amount of work? I don't think it is.

ultimately it just does a huge disservice to the artists signed to the label, especially the newer ones. At least hand off the administrative and database duties to someone else who cares. The very least they could do is have the new stuff up there, which would take probably 2-3 hours of work for someone with moderate web experience. So is having a crisis of confidence reason enough to not put in this small amount of work? I don't think it is.

Agreed. I wonder how some of the artists feel about this, are they just happy to be part of the mythos? I personally would feel very disrespected.

• 4 weeks later...

Brand association probably helps you get gigs, plus you get to pet richard's cat, maybe.

yeah but rephlex owns your name exclusively thats why people use a different name and a slightly different genre when they release other stuff

Archived