IGNORED

Repetitive/psychedelic/minimal metal?

modey

I'm in the process of starting a project that uses metal instrumentation to make music that has elements of krautrock and minimal techno, but am wondering if any bands have beaten me to it. Do any of you watmmers know of bands that do this? I'm thinking fast, repetitive riffs, static/non-changing drumming (even drum machines—Godflesh comes to mind), maybe some psychedelic ambience or effects, and minimal vocals.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm specifically thinking of the intensity of metal, but with the repetition of kraut rock. I guess even like a sped up version of Earth or something.

I guess Meshuggah's recent output comes close, but I want to go even further into minimalism. Kinda like if My Disco did metal:

Could this actually be an untapped area of metal?! Could I actually be on to something here?

Nah, not long drones; faster than that. The riffs I'm working on have undertones of Isis/Godflesh but also a bit of chuggy thrash style, perhaps. Hard to explain!

Yeah, I'm specifically thinking of the intensity of metal, but with the repetition of kraut rock. I guess even like a sped up version of Earth or something.

I guess Meshuggah's recent output comes close, but I want to go even further into minimalism. Kinda like if My Disco did metal:

Could this actually be an untapped area of metal?! Could I actually be on to something here?

I think you might be. Sounds interesting. I feel like it's somethign I've heard but can't put my finger on it. Meshuggah also sprung to mind, but really just the opening minute or so of 'I'.

I'm in the process of starting a project that uses metal instrumentation to make music that has elements of krautrock and minimal techno, but am wondering if any bands have beaten me to it. Do any of you watmmers know of bands that do this? I'm thinking fast, repetitive riffs, static/non-changing drumming (even drum machines—Godflesh comes to mind), maybe some psychedelic ambience or effects, and minimal vocals.

I was ready to type Earth until I read "fast" and then "drum machines" lol - I guess you would of just gone with drone doom and sludge. But speaking of masters of those genres of metal, Boris released this:

^there's another version they recorded that's a lot cleaners sounding, even poppy in production, on New Album - not on youtube but on Spotify for sure.

Atoms Mothers Temple comes to mind. Plenty of albums to check out:

A lot of Expo 70 - a guitarist I saw at a show by chance and now follow in the tape scenes - fits the heavy krautrock/kosmische sound, especially the motorik beats via vintage drum machine percussion, but I wouldn't say it's fast, mid-tempo at best. I need to seek out more of his peers, seem to be a lot doing heavy and psychedelic music that channels old space rock and kraut.

I think you're on to something fairly unique in your efforts honestly, it's a template with a lot of potential.

sleep? dopesmoker?

too slow

this is probably the closest thing I can think of, in terms of intensity/energy/minimalism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciRxrlTFGc

Actually that's almost exactly what I want. Anyone know of more stuff like that? (that particular song, not other Liturgy songs)

Nah, like I said, just like that one Liturgy song; it's pretty different to their other stuff. Lightning Bolt have the minimal instrumentation, but their arrangements are still pretty elaborate in comparison to what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll try to get an example together over the next few days. Actually, here's something I came up with a while ago:

http://pselodux.com/audio/precursors%201.mp3

It's a bit slower than what I want to eventually work with but it's a start.

(ignore the vocals; they're just a placeholder and thus pretty terrible haha).

glenn branca? lol

[youtubehd]biA2Y9XanfY[/youtubehd]

i know you said no lightning bolt, but this song does immediately come to mind

[youtubehd]72w7d4AZSmE[/youtubehd]

glenn branca? lol

[youtubehd]biA2Y9XanfY[/youtubehd]

that's actually the closest example anyone's posted in this thread so far.

The Lightning Bolt track was ok. I just can't get into the vocals.

While I think it's overly poppy and complex at times, I have to mention Boris' New Album again - I hadn't heard anything quite like it in that genre, let alone their own discography. They use a lot of digital and glitchy percussion instead of their trademark heavy and slugglish guitar and drums.

8:40 to 17:00 and 27:15 onward in particular...

Beyond seconding Jesu and Godflesh, I'm out of ideas.

Alright, I'm gonna conclude that this is a somewhat original idea, at least at the level of minimalism I plan to use. Hooray! Of course, it may end up sounding terrible, but I can only try. I think it'd be a good live experience.

5ive

Not the pop band 5ive but the metal band 5ive

Would post samples but am posting from iPhone uselessly

edit:

ooh, very close, gonna have to check them out

Archived