IGNORED

Repetitive/psychedelic/minimal metal?

modey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah! Had a jam with a keyboard player lastnight. Just me, him and a drum machine. It worked pretty well. It wasn't strictly repetitive metal though; it had sections of Jesu style distorted beats, post-metal breakdowns/buildups, jazz, stoner riffs and finally settling into motorik. It was pretty ridiculous. We're gonna refine it a bit and turn it into an actual release.

Anyway, that O.L.D. track is awesome!

Some Zach Hill stuff is kind of like what it seems you're looking for, albeit with fucking insane drumming throughout.

[youtubehd]ujofwGp2B9E[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]bXz0F5lU0t4[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]lLj5QouJVsM[/youtubehd]

Alot of people have been throwing out all the sludge/doom/drone metal in this thread.

Om is a little bit faster than that imo, but obviously the instrumentation is as minimal as it gets. Bass and drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooxu9qa3mTw

Album also fucking rocks.

Im thinking Genghis tron might be close to what you are thinking of. Loopy-guitar riffs, thrash/hardcore and drum machines. Thought not the most minimal vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJWgInNEfQ

Yeah, I love good stoner/doom/drone/sludge stuff. I've been into it for years. My request is pretty specific though!

And yeah, Om are fucking brilliant. Maybe I should just play their records at 45 or something, zole.

Some Zach Hill stuff is kind of like what it seems you're looking for, albeit with fucking insane drumming throughout.

[youtubehd]ujofwGp2B9E[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]bXz0F5lU0t4[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]lLj5QouJVsM[/youtubehd]

oh wow, that Holy Smokes stuff is beautiful!

Replace 'slow down' with 'speed up' and it's a deal.

That said though, there were parts of our jam lastnight that sounded like the quieter Neurosis/Isis moments. Pretty good for just a downtuned guitar and a 70s Casio keyboard!

Nah, like I said, just like that one Liturgy song; it's pretty different to their other stuff. Lightning Bolt have the minimal instrumentation, but their arrangements are still pretty elaborate in comparison to what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll try to get an example together over the next few days. Actually, here's something I came up with a while ago:

http://pselodux.com/audio/precursors%201.mp3

It's a bit slower than what I want to eventually work with but it's a start.

(ignore the vocals; they're just a placeholder and thus pretty terrible haha).

Man, this sounds unreal, looking forward to hearing how the whole thing turns out. Definitely going to fire this up as my next post-joint tune. The vocals sound great imo.

Also, quite stoner/doomy, but Electric Wizard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps

Thanks guys! I've got a few tracks like the one I posted. I was thinking of adding some vocals to the earlier section but I kinda like it bare like that. It's funny, I'm so used to hearing the other tracks I'm writing in their bare, repetitive states that I don't think I actually want to add anything to them. I *might* cut down the one that is 35 minutes of a monotonic riff and tom rolls, though.

hey modey pretty sure you're already into it, but what you posted sounds a lot like chino's stuff... sounds like deftones in fact, and that's a good thing!

well, when the choir kicks in, it's pretty epic, sounds like syd barret singing :)

hey modey pretty sure you're already into it, but what you posted sounds a lot like chino's stuff... sounds like deftones in fact, and that's a good thing!

well, when the choir kicks in, it's pretty epic, sounds like syd barret singing :)

[youtubehd]UR7n4E3I2LY[/youtubehd]

Thanks! Maybe I'll keep those vocals (or similar ones) in there after all. And yeah, I have been getting into Chino's various projects lately. Awesome stuff.

As for Nattefrost, it's not bad, i just haven't listened to black metal in a long time so it's a bit grating, haha.

Aw thanks guys! I've effectively got an album written already; I just need to mix it and maybe add some more vocals here and there. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year.

I'm thinking fast, repetitive riffs, static/non-changing drumming (even drum machines—Godflesh comes to mind), maybe some psychedelic ambience or effects, and minimal vocals.

i understand if you don't want to be associated with ministry, but this sounds like ministry

[youtubehd]jmdClFN24T0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]QloZREyA8Xk[/youtubehd]

Archived