IGNORED

Tycho - Awake

Redruth

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I like to take women home and play them Bon Iver's older material.

purelols

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love design and adobe creative cloud. I like to blend different photos I've taken with my 5D Mark III. My 50mm lens is great for portraits, but I use my 19mm for landscapes. I also am a big fan of 60s-70s-era Braun. I'm a contributor to iso50. I wear real denim, am restoring a 1981 Bianchi, and prefer my latte with a rosetta on top. I prefer whole milk, grassfed, because it makes for some fine microfoam. When I'm rock climbing in Big Sur, I enjoy listening to Tycho's music, or anything on Ghostly, on a good set of cans. I bought an expensive set of cans recently, and they're definitely worth it, especially when listening to some quality music. I like to take women home and play them Bon Iver's older material. I also play guitar. I recently upgraded to a mahogany Martin. Again, it was expensive, but worth it. I like the warm tones encouraged by the mahogany back and sides, and the matte cedar top is ergonomic. I like building furniture from reclaimed pallet wood. I work in a furniture pop up shop.

^ post of 2014

Is there a "criterion collection" of watmm posts yet? If so, this belongs in it.

I love design and adobe creative cloud. I like to blend different photos I've taken with my 5D Mark III. My 50mm lens is great for portraits, but I use my 19mm for landscapes. I also am a big fan of 60s-70s-era Braun. I'm a contributor to iso50. I wear real denim, am restoring a 1981 Bianchi, and prefer my latte with a rosetta on top. I prefer whole milk, grassfed, because it makes for some fine microfoam. When I'm rock climbing in Big Sur, I enjoy listening to Tycho's music, or anything on Ghostly, on a good set of cans. I bought an expensive set of cans recently, and they're definitely worth it, especially when listening to some quality music. I like to take women home and play them Bon Iver's older material. I also play guitar. I recently upgraded to a mahogany Martin. Again, it was expensive, but worth it. I like the warm tones encouraged by the mahogany back and sides, and the matte cedar top is ergonomic. I like building furniture from reclaimed pallet wood. I work in a furniture pop up shop.

^ post of 2014

Is there a "criterion collection" of watmm posts yet? If so, this belongs in it.

toplel all around

I've rethought my position on tycho changing his sound (away from bocbocboc). at first I thought it was good he has moved on and found his own sound. But now I'm thinking that for him to move so far away from that boc sound that maybe he never liked it that much anyway, it was just something to rip off, a boc phase. although typing that out i'm leaning more towards my initial feeling again.

I'm also wondering how the hell he can afford to live in SF if his only income is from tycho (and all those synths!). does tycho sell well?

did you see in his blog? he's a shittly little valley google-funded start up ponce

What about massive debt?

I can see the backlash toward Tycho (beyond the original BoC aping debate) because of his general vibe and all. I have no idea how much anyone makes from music anymore, but he has quite a fanbase (including yupsters willing to drop money without question on his discography) and is one a viable label (Ghostly). Who knows if he has debt.

Is he my ideal musician ethos wise? No. Do I dislike him? Not at all. I've based that off his interviews and music.

Besides, there are far more obnoxious and talent-less producers, artists, and bands out there. Ones who are clearly trust-baby art students or hipsters on a sucking money from the perpetual tit that is their rich parents. And even then, I don't mind if they are truly talented in some medium, it's the ones who drop the words "DIY" and "underground" and "indie" and all that bullshit while still shamelessly trying to network for attention and cheap fandom via PR firms, ad companies, and tastemaker music journalism.

Tycho is a clever and image conscious guy who is clearly business/marketing savy, no doubt about it, but I honestly don't mind him. The music is too good, the label he's on is one I like. Call me superficial. If he was pretentious twat making shitty derivative "experimental" music pfork gave a BMN rating and who happens to miraculously afford an apartment in NYC, then I'd be judging from the get go. Artists self-releasing good music, supporting local scenes, and working day jobs, they're the unsung heroes. I really hope more people would herald them and that ethos, and not this nonsense.

I'd venture to say he has made (and continues to make) a majority of his income from his graphic design stuff. Just a thought. I've been following his blog for a long time, and it used to be pretty much only him posting about his freelance graphic work.

i've heard this, that first track has something fresh in it, very nice melody. the rest just went over my head. it's good but i've heard enough of it.

is this ulrich schnauss crossed with bibio now?

his design work can get lazy and self indulgent, oh here's nice colour palettes, maybe add a retro font, put them in a circle and sell it :/

music for hipsters definitely.

4/8

Guest murphythecat8

haters gonna hate.

I personally dont care about interviews and such, if I like the music, if hes a asshole or not is not a problem for me: aphex twin anyone?

this album is imo a bit less polished then dive. I wish it sounded less like a band and more like tycho. Its sounds a bit too live for my taste. still, I'll visit often.

BTW, bibo IS hipster music but I still love it

Guest murphythecat8

what makes something hipster anyway? I love Bibio and Tycho and have done for years....

seriously.

I even think that if someone claims that he doesnt like a music because its hipster or sounds hipster, thats a hipster right there!

did you see in his blog? he's a shittly little valley google-funded start up ponce

Based on what evidence/facts? You really shouldn't go making baseless accusations/statements like that when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

what makes something hipster anyway? I love Bibio and Tycho and have done for years....

seriously.

I even think that if someone claims that he doesnt like a music because its hipster or sounds hipster, thats a hipster right there!

Does mean someone listens to music because it is cool cause it's not popular or mainstream?

Even if they don't like it?

I thought it was just people that wore think rimmed glasses, cheap tshirts and old trainers?

I'd venture to say he has made (and continues to make) a majority of his income from his graphic design stuff. Just a thought. I've been following his blog for a long time, and it used to be pretty much only him posting about his freelance graphic work.

in that recent interview he said he no longer does design work except for tycho artwork. is what sent me down the 'how does he afford to live in sf'. my new theory is touring money and a doctor wife

Based on what evidence/facts? You really shouldn't go making baseless accusations/statements like that when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

agreed I haven't seen any evidence that he's a ponce

I was just listening to limbik frequencies in bed and they played some 90s Cabaret Voltaire. And then for some inexplicable reason they followed it with Tycho. I couldn't take the dissonance. I turned to the side and placed my penis into the drawer of my bedside table that was ajar and slammed it shut. La tristessa durera.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish everyone would stop being so negative about Tycho. When i'm having a stressful day at work it's pretty much the only thing that stops me throwing soneone out of a window. I have zero interest in what he's like as a person (unless he's some kind of Woody Allen). The fact that his music made Keith smush his bits with a furniture pleases me immeasurably.

Archived