IGNORED

ryuichi sakamoto thread

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

this is a thread for all things ryuichi sakamoto.

i recently watched Royal Space Force (which is amazing, the more and more i think about it), and the music in it absolutely blew me away.

in particular, check out the end credits song (spoiler: its the song used during the climax/credits of the movie).

but as for what else is out there in ryuichi sakamoto's catalogue that's worth checking out, i get a little bit lost.

please post and recommend awesome places to start. i'm absolutely digging the 80's production and melodies.

here's one more.

• 1 year later...

Found out recently that one of my partner's high school friends is as composer in residence (or something along those lines) with Sakamoto-san in NYC.

Let's hope he can beat this throat cancer!

I scored a big boxed set of JPN imports by RS a while ago. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, all the classics. I also really enjoy `Ura-BTTB', which is solo piano stuff. Passed up the opportunity to pick up `BTTB' (the LP-length companion to Ura-) and regret it.

Tangentially related: a sweet Amon Tobin remix did of Sakamotos's 'Grief' (the video incorrectly states it is 'Anger') from the Discord album, the original itself being a fantastic work.

[youtubehd]I7UqCuzIziI[/youtubehd]

Sakamoto-San has been playing couples of fennesz/sakamoto tracks on stage, sometimes with a big orchestra, always very subtle and delicate. try to get the Playing the orchestra 2013 dvd, expensive but great. Regarding his Discord album there is a wicked Oval remix included in one of the mini lp released by ninja tune back in the days.

• 3 years later...

I just saw the documentary about him (CODA) in the theater today. I had forgotten he had also acted in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, alongside David Bowie.

Frankly, I didn’t know much about him or his work, other than he did a few film scores and was an influential electronic musician.

I’m into him, now! I’m really liking what I’m hearing of the Yellow Magic Orchestra.

The documentary was bittersweet and deeply inspiring. He seems like a pretty smart, rad dude. Definitely check the doc out, if you have a chance!

ymo.jpg

Edited by J3FF3R00

It's fun music. I like how his music sometimes sounds like cheesy asian elevator tunes and sometimes like oddly timed ambient techno. Weird mix and definitely unique. I dig it, especially this last one that was posted here

Edited by darreichungsform

this has been my favourite of his for some time, probly cause i lived in okinawa for awhile.

omg :wub:

This made my morning. Can't believe I missed this post earlier. There's something about Ryukyuan that's instantly recognizable, I guess it's the key and chord structures they use as staples and the perpetual use of a the Sanshin as an instrument. 

I had no idea someone who lived on Okinawa was on WATMM. I miss that place, want to visit again sometime in my lifetime.