IGNORED

Osla for n

zlemflolia

Guest Phonejack

Woah why would you diss Etchogon?

Also I really don't mind Osla either. It's not your typical ae track but I wouldn't call it bad imo.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...

=D

Sorry to reboot this thread... Buuuuut.... After clicking with fLh and bqbqbq from the NTS Sessions, I've really been appreciating this one on a level I never really could previously...

I always thought it was a neat track, but didn't really 'get' the first half.

I also considered it more funky than anything else.

And now... I absolutely love the darkness, and its placement on the EP is absolutely perfect. As a standalone track, it's just... So badass. So dark. So full of atmosphere and able to just... Build an entire world inside of my brain. Within the context of the EP it works even better...

So.

Fucking.

Good.

I need to get this on vinyl.

Luckily there's a few copies on discogs for under $5!!

=O

Sorry if this was posted before, but here some words from Rob about it:

'Osla For N'

RB: "It's divisive, having 'Osla For N' and 'Newbound' back-to-back, because I can see they've been out for a few weeks now, so there are a lot of people digging up stuff about them, and again it's splitting the camps wide open. In my view all the right people are saying 'Osla For N' is weird, it's cool. It's quite unassuming at first, but it's a bit of a disarmer. I heard someone describe it today as coughing - digital coughing - as in chesty coughs… 'Osla For N' is sort of a really good danger zone before you're on the home-straight…

"A lot of people, I can tell, aren't quite absorbing it yet. Sometimes it takes a little longer. I think we're so steeped in this now that we see patterns. We know when we've got a pattern, and it takes people a while to suss a pattern out, to realise that it's not random and that there's a direction to it. A lot of people seriously do believe we chuck stuff in willy nilly and hope for the best, which couldn't be further from the truth. Everything's so rigorously tested. That does lend itself to this austere vibe that we get sort of tarnished with; part of it's true."

http://thequietus.com/articles/13899-autechre-interview-exai-l-event

Still the best track on L-Event

inb4SG

I'm starting to think so too...

It's very quickly overtaking M39 Diffain as my favorite L-Event track.

=D

And thanks for the link and quoted excerpt Jafs!

=D

Back around the time the EP was released and I was listening to it through headphones one day, that was when I noticed what the first post of this 9-pages-now topic half-mentions:

>> I also sort of have this feeling that it's a skeletal version of parts of M39 Diffain, with the tonality somewhat taken away but the pacing and timbral changes kept

More specifically, what I hear is that the coughs of Osla are playing the melody that loops through the last third of of M39 Diffain. The melody that's first heard completely and in the clear at 3:49.

The cough's rhythm is a bit different, but progression and repetition are basically the same. I was about to say that the interval distance is no longer a whole tone, but you know what? I listened to it again and it is a whole tone. The same tone! Buried in each cough is the same tone (from Diffain), in the same key to boot.

Once I'd heard this, I couldn't help but feel "super comfortable" or something each time the EP went from Diffain to the next track. I mean, how many Autechre tracks, on a recording, hand the same melody from the end of one track to the start of the next? It's one of those things I can't unhear.

Re: the whole EP, the track I've traditionally least liked was the last one, just because I'm not mad about the zippy space-worlds sound.

To me, Osla for N feels like a build up to something epic....but never really gets there. It's really interesting, just slightly unsatisfying by the end.

I think this had the potential to be the most intense track in their catalogue. If this was an Untilted era track, the resulting breakdown would be dope.

As it stands, still an excellent track. But it sputters awkwardly between routine and greatness. The background in the track as it evolves is gorgeous though.

Osla is very beautiful to me. I think the first 3 tracks here create a great mood and soundscape. Newbound unfortunately sounds a little Move of Ten-ish, it doesn't quite belong here.

Funny reading posts from so long ago. I still remember reading the hot takes on page 1 and shaking my head in disbelief.

I have probably listened to this EP only once over 2015-18, but it was excellent, one of their best releases of the decade.

Back around the time the EP was released and I was listening to it through headphones one day, that was when I noticed what the first post of this 9-pages-now topic half-mentions:

>> I also sort of have this feeling that it's a skeletal version of parts of M39 Diffain, with the tonality somewhat taken away but the pacing and timbral changes kept

More specifically, what I hear is that the coughs of Osla are playing the melody that loops through the last third of of M39 Diffain. The melody that's first heard completely and in the clear at 3:49.

The cough's rhythm is a bit different, but progression and repetition are basically the same. I was about to say that the interval distance is no longer a whole tone, but you know what? I listened to it again and it is a whole tone. The same tone! Buried in each cough is the same tone (from Diffain), in the same key to boot.

Once I'd heard this, I couldn't help but feel "super comfortable" or something each time the EP went from Diffain to the next track. I mean, how many Autechre tracks, on a recording, hand the same melody from the end of one track to the start of the next? It's one of those things I can't unhear.

Re: the whole EP, the track I've traditionally least liked was the last one, just because I'm not mad about the zippy space-worlds sound.

<throw headphones on>

<listen to M39 Diffain>

<listen to Osla For N>

<MIND=BLOWN!!!!>

Awesome post/observation!!!!

Now I like it even more.

=D

Archived