IGNORED

Would you leave your country and why?

pierlu

^Holy fucking shit that makes so much sense. Once I dove into some random aspects of Scandinavian culture not normally portrayed here in the U.S. (Black Metal, the history of Scandinavia before and during WWII) I realized that Scandinavian society is just as fucked up and crazy as aspects of any other country. People tend to think the "grass is always greener" on the other side, which is why I have to echo what Hoodie said about America. Yeah, it's not perfect, but I can make a live here just as much as I could anywhere else.

Everyone in America thinks of Scandinavia as mostly:

1. VIKINGS!

2. Tall and blonde and minimal and modern

3. Legos

4. State funded hugs and smiles and everything!

5. Your relative and/or friend from Minnesota who likes Lutefish and says "doncha' know" and "you betcha"

They forget:

1. Winter

2. Cold

3. It's fucking cold and dark during winter

4. This: Law_of_Jante

5. I'm probably generalizing, but there's also the fact that Denmark and other Scandinavian countries are quite homogenized and relatively small in population. That's a huge factor in why they are so highly ranked in statistics about progress, happiness, standard of living, etc. Iceland in particular is always cited as a progressive, green (energy wise) utopian land of musicians and surreal landscapes but it's also a nation with only 320,000 people: that wouldn't even make it in the top 50 biggest US cities.

I definitely have feeling that American media never portrays some of the shitty things here. Most Americans I've talked to, always thinks that Denmark is some kind of utopia. There are a lot shitty things here too. To give an example: a lot of Americans probably don't know that the gang violence in Copenhagen is crazy. Most Americans probably just associate Copenhagen with stuff like: bicycles, green energy and whatever.... good things.

Another thing (And I'm definitely going to sound like an old grumpy man now, which is weird, since I'm only 23). But this new generation (mine included) are just some of the most entitled, spoiled and lazy little brats that have ever lived (that is probably a problem in most western countries nowadays though). But I think those are some of bad things that comes with the Danish welfare.

But to give an example, I have just gone back to school to start another education, and think only about 60% of my classmates shows up everyday, and most of those who does show up, just spends their day playing stupid mobile games/facebook'ing on their tablets all day long, and never pays attention to anything in class. Anything that isn't entertainment to them, doesn't concern them. Maybe I have just ended up in a bad class, but jesus christ.

Most of them just shows up to cash in on the education financial support (not quite what to call it in english, but it is called "SU" here). We are one of the few countries where you can take a education, without ending up with a huge debt afterwards, and yet people don't give a shit.

Again.. I probably sound like a grumpy old twat, but I just find that stuff so annoying, and I am probably getting a little off-topic here.

oldman.jpg

Edited by Ceerial

^Holy fucking shit that makes so much sense. Once I dove into some random aspects of Scandinavian culture not normally portrayed here in the U.S. (Black Metal, the history of Scandinavia before and during WWII) I realized that Scandinavian society is just as fucked up and crazy as aspects of any other country. People tend to think the "grass is always greener" on the other side, which is why I have to echo what Hoodie said about America. Yeah, it's not perfect, but I can make a live here just as much as I could anywhere else.

1. VIKINGS!

3. Legos

5. Your relative and/or friend from Minnesota who likes Lutefish and says "doncha' know" and "you betcha"

They forget:

1. Winter

2. Cold

5. I'm probably generalizing, but there's also the fact that Denmark and other Scandinavian countries are quite homogenized and relatively small in population. That's a huge factor in why they are so highly ranked in statistics about progress, happiness, standard of living, etc. Iceland in particular is always cited as a progressive, green (energy wise) utopian land of musicians and surreal landscapes but it's also a nation with only 320,000 people: that wouldn't even make it in the top 50 biggest US cities.

I definitely have feeling that American media never portrays some of the shitty things here. Most Americans I've talked to, always thinks that Denmark is some kind of utopia. There are a lot shitty things here too. To give an example: a lot of Americans probably don't know that the gang violence in Copenhagen is crazy. Most Americans probably just associate Copenhagen with stuff like: bicycles, green energy and whatever.... good things.

Another thing (And I'm definitely going to sound like an old grumpy man now, which is weird, since I'm only 23). But this new generation (mine included) are just some of the most entitled, spoiled and lazy little brats that have ever lived (that is probably a problem in most western countries nowadays though). But I think those are some of bad things that comes with the Danish welfare.

But to give an example, I have just gone back to school to start another education, and think only about 60% of my classmates shows up everyday, and most of those who does show up, just spends their day playing stupid mobile games/facebook'ing on their tablets all day long, and never pays attention to anything in class. Anything that isn't entertainment to them, doesn't concern them.

Most of them just shows up to cash in on the education financial support (not quite what to call it in english, but it is called "SU" here). We are one of the few countries where you can take a education, without ending up with a huge debt afterwards, and yet people don't give a shit.

Again.. I probably sound like a grumpy old twat, but I just find that stuff so annoying. I am probably getting a little off-topic here.

oldman.jpg

That also happens in countries with comparatively poor educational coverage, the funniest part is that what you hear there is "if we were as serious, responsible and dependable as Scandinavians this would be impossible". A close person to me, who is getting poor marks at university and facing what looks like rather severe psychological distress, had to endure twenty minutes of "useless people like you wouldn't exist in Sweden" at a family dinner, which was followed by a long rant against people who get unemployment benefits. Don't blame welfare for something unrelated - being a pennyless student really IS tough.

Me, I've come to hate all provincial talk about the supposed superiority of Scandinavia to be quite honest.

Edited by poblequadrat

To be fair, I'm not sure Copenhagen's gang violence would seem all that shocking to Americans even if it made the news. It would be hailed as a miracle if most large American cities were as safe as the more dangerous cities of western Europe. Even London has enviable crime states compared to places like Chicago, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.

Edited by doublename

Also, everyone I know who complains about where they live and then cites somewhere better...they never are content anywhere. In fact, they'll often move to a city or state they think it's perfect then just find something new to complain about after a year or so.

I guess that is true. Still, I am prone to winter depressions: lack of sunlight makes me .. well it just makes me less happy. Also, I think the Netherlands is a very weird place to live.

*sigh*

Maybe you're right. Maybe i'm just daydreaming about some place that will be better than the place that I live: wherever I go, there's always me. If I can't be happy with me, I won't be happy anywhere.

1. VIKINGS!

3. Legos

They forget:

1. Winter

2. Cold

But to give an example, I have just gone back to school to start another education, and think only about 60% of my classmates shows up everyday, and most of those who does show up, just spends their day playing stupid mobile games/facebook'ing on their tablets all day long, and never pays attention to anything in class. Anything that isn't entertainment to them, doesn't concern them.

Again.. I probably sound like a grumpy old twat, but I just find that stuff so annoying. I am probably getting a little off-topic here.

oldman.jpg

That also happens in countries with comparatively poor educational coverage, the funniest part is that what you hear there is "if we were as serious, responsible and dependable as Scandinavians this would be impossible". A close person to me, who is getting poor marks at university and facing what looks like rather severe psychological distress, had to endure twenty minutes of "useless people like you wouldn't exist in Sweden" at a family dinner, which was followed by a long rant against people who get unemployment benefits. Don't blame welfare for something unrelated - being a pennyless student really IS tough.

Me, I've come to hate all provincial talk about the supposed superiority of Scandinavia to be quite honest.

I wasn't trying to say we have it rough here in any way, but it is the fact that people don't seize their opportunities here, is what really bugs me. And I think part of that has to do with the security of welfare, which has made certain young people very lazy. If you've ever meet a Danish teenager, you would know that all that concerns them are partying and getting drunk (not that there is anything wrong with having fun, but it can't be all the fucking time). I don't want American conditions here, and I'm not fan of the liberal model in any way. It was more a comment on the mindstate of certain people here.

And honestly the problem with "lazy teenagers" is really not that big a problem here (yet), it is just something I've been witnessing a lot lately, so I couldn't help but mentioning it.

And yes, I'm also very sick of hearing about all that "superiority of Scandinavia" talk. That is why I am trying to say that Scandinavian countries are not some kind of utopia, like some people are led to believe, for some strange reason.

Edited by Ceerial

Also, everyone I know who complains about where they live and then cites somewhere better...they never are content anywhere. In fact, they'll often move to a city or state they think it's perfect then just find something new to complain about after a year or so.

I guess that is true. Still, I am prone to winter depressions: lack of sunlight makes me .. well it just makes me less happy. Also, I think the Netherlands is a very weird place to live.

*sigh*

Maybe you're right. Maybe i'm just daydreaming about some place that will be better than the place that I live: wherever I go, there's always me. If I can't be happy with me, I won't be happy anywhere.

indeed, this reminds me of an emerson quote that stuck with me years ago:

"Our first journeys show us how little difference places make. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty and lose my sadness. I pack my bags, hug my friends, get on the plane, and wake up in Naples, and there next to me is the cruel fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I look for the Vatican and the palaces. I pretend to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go."

"When we're being men, we feel a call to duty. The soul is no traveler; the wise man stays at home. When his necessities, his duties, on any occasion call him from his house, or into foreign lands, he's still at home, and lets people know by the expression on his face that he goes as the missionary of wisdom and virtue, visiting cities and people like a sovereign, not like an intruder or a valet.

I have no cranky objection to world travel for the purposes of art, of study, and goodwill, as long as the individual is first domesticated, or doesn't go abroad with the hope of finding something greater that what he knows. He who travels to be amused, or to get something he doesn't have within, travels away from himself, and gets old among old things while he's still young. In Thebes, in Palmyra, his will and mind have become as old and run-down as they have. He carries ruins to ruins."
(i'm full of emerson quotes)
to answer the original question: i'd probably leave the US if i had a sensible way out. eggs is right though, WA state is a pretty nice place to be, and i'm glad that out of anywhere in this country, i landed here.

I'll stop all my annoying Scandinavia talk now, but this is pretty much Scandinavian life in a nutshell:

Swedish+Bus+Stop+Joke.jpg

Not sure this is 'happiness'

Edited by Ceerial

Guest Rulohead32

I'll stop all my annoying Scandinavia talk now, but this is pretty much Scandinavian life in a nutshell:

maybe they would be a bit warmer iF THEY GOT CLOSER

But to give an example, I have just gone back to school to start another education, and think only about 60% of my classmates shows up everyday, and most of those who does show up, just spends their day playing stupid mobile games/facebook'ing on their tablets all day long, and never pays attention to anything in class. Anything that isn't entertainment to them, doesn't concern them. Maybe I have just ended up in a bad class, but jesus christ.

According to 60minutes, Denmark fucking rocks. Basically you guys have low-zero expectations in life. So when things don't turn out as bad, you're super happy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4181996n

Edited by olo

According to 60minutes, Denmark fucking rocks. Basically you guys have low-zero expectations in life. So when things don't turn out as bad, you're super happy.

Again...

We are satisfied

Not necessarily happy.

Edited by Ceerial

Again...

We are satisfied

Not necessarily happy.

watch the video. I would love your take on it. 60 minutes is one of the media ballers in the US.

Again...

We are satisfied

Not necessarily happy.

watch the video. I would love your take on it. 60 minutes is one of the media ballers in the US.

I have seen it, and that 60 minutes show has been analyzed and heavily criticized many times. There is a well respected danish show called Detektor that basically has discredited it, I wish you could hear it (I don't assume you understand Danish). But it goes into some of the things I've mentioned a few posts back about happiness vs. the Danish meaning of happiness.

Edited by Ceerial

Again...

We are satisfied

Not necessarily happy.

I have seen it, and that 60 minutes show has been analyzed and heavily criticized many times. There is a well respected danish show called Detektor that has discredited it, I wish you could hear it (I don't assume you understand Danish). But it goes into some of the things I've mentioned a few posts back about happiness vs. the danish meaning of happiness.

Our fucking liberal-biased US media leading us astray again...assholes.

^US media is just so superficial and misinformed, I don't even think it's even a liberal (MSNBC) or conservative (Fox) issue. They're all absolutely terrible news outlets.

1. VIKINGS!

3. Legos

They forget:

1. Winter

2. Cold

Again.. I probably sound like a grumpy old twat, but I just find that stuff so annoying, and I am probably getting a little off-topic here.

oldman.jpg

I find that very fascinating because that's a problem here too. There's always going to be people in every generation who transcend their peers, so I'm not super worried, but I too have noticed that kids younger than me (I'm 27) seem so much more dependent on their parents for money, taking on a lot of student debt or just going to school nonstop, and adverse to working anything that isn't trendy or cool. Here in the states it seems that it's actually forcing a class divide more than ever, because kids are the same regardless of who they are, but if you're poor and/or a minority, it's hard as hell to get a leg up. There are friends of mine for instance who always go to movies and restaurants and concerts but make less than I do: because all of their bills are paid by their parents. It can be a bit frustrating but I don't resent them. Likewise, the idea of being middle class and comfortable is becoming a lot harder, which is really frightening. It's like an open secret: no one in our leadership, Democrat or Republican, acknowledges it. It'll be interesting to see how the next couple of decades shake out. Instead we're fed through ads and campaigns that we can all still make it in this system, and vague senses of creativity and individuality are touted - but not everyone can work for some social media company or cool tech startup in cities like LA, NYC, Portland, or Austin...

...Speaking of Austin I've been here almost 10 years and the cost of living and saturation of corporate money and the people those entities attract is mind-boggling. And yet the city acts like it's still small and bohemian. Those communities exist but that's the thing, they aren't unique to just this town. In terms of art, culture, and community, I can find that in so many other underrated cities and towns and well, the internet bridges any gap that comes from living somewhere that's remote or backward. When (or if) I live Austin it'll be for one reason: because I can't afford to live here. That's really the only reason most of us will have to leave anywhere we live now, most of our countries of residence are stable and safe from massive upheaval. That's why my wife and I might very well move out to somewhere pretty rural out West (specifically New Mexico). "Going out to the country" is no where near as daunting as it used to be.

(i'm full of emerson quotes)
to answer the original question: i'd probably leave the US if i had a sensible way out. eggs is right though, WA state is a pretty nice place to be, and i'm glad that out of anywhere in this country, i landed here.

I'm digging the emerson quote!

maybe they would be a bit warmer iF THEY GOT CLOSER

Danish men must have some long schlongs, because if they need to be so far apart from the next Dane, intercourse has to be impossible without a proboscis cock.

Denmark's biggest problem is that the people here are always "satisfied" about everything. There's this whole "meh, could be worse"-mentality that's infecting every part of society, and it's honestly a bit depressing. I like living here and my life could be way way worse (dat irony), but it does kinda bother me that no one seems to aim for anything. But Ceerial already described that pretty well.

Also, I always do that bus stop thing. It's relaxing.