IGNORED

Yamaha RY-30

I just found this at a pawn shop and bought it for $135. It's all PCM based, but it has some good sounds with pitch, decay and 4 individual outs. I haven't programmed any patterns yet, but I get the impression it's not as simple as a 909. But for the price, I couldn't leave without it. Any of you played with it? Anything cool or uncool I should know?

the ry30 is quite bendable if you're into that sort of thing....

http://alien-devices.com/circuit-bent-yamaha-ry30.html

i also read that if you have a yamaha sy99 you can create samples on a memory card which can also be used on the ry30

i think it has the same (or a cut down) synthesis engine as the sy99...

seems pretty cool, good find!

Thanks for the insight on the SY99! That's pretty cool.

The circuit bend is neat, but I'm not that fond of the mangled sounds. I'd have to actually play with one to see if I'd get it bent.

I played with it a few hours today to figure it out and it's a fun little drum machine. Most sounds are typical or kind of dated, but there's enough play with the sounds to get something interesting out of it. The pitch and decay on each sample can change the mundane sounds to something not so typical. Each sample is usually a blend of two samples, so you can 'balance' between each for more sounds.

The down side is it's not that intuitive for playing live which is what I wanted it for. You mainly create patterns and stitch them together in song mode. You can't mute or effect individual sounds live, so you'd have to create a bunch of different patterns with some sound sequences removed/added and then change patterns on the fly. Even then, changing patterns on the fly isn't that intuitive either.

Still, I had a lot of fun learning to program this thing. This is what came out of it - the highhats got all phased for some reason though:

[sc5]117372506[/sc5]

I hunted down this quote because I misremembered it thinking it had to do with your drum machine, but apparently it's about alesis drum machines. it took awhile to find it so here it is anyway:

The second Distinction unanimously went to the veteran New York based Japanese composer Ikue Mori for "Birth Days", her stunning 3 part Alesis drum machine suite. Performed live, Mori's virtuosity enables her to draw cross- and counter polyrhythmelodies from the most basic factory presets, arranging these into an enchanting audiomaze of a composition. Mori's rhythmatic wizardry underlined the extent to which rhythm remains the next frontier for Ars Electronica in 2000 and beyond.

plucked from this ether

I hunted down this quote because I misremembered it thinking it had to do with your drum machine, but apparently it's about alesis drum machines. it took awhile to find it so here it is anyway:

The second Distinction unanimously went to the veteran New York based Japanese composer Ikue Mori for "Birth Days", her stunning 3 part Alesis drum machine suite. Performed live, Mori's virtuosity enables her to draw cross- and counter polyrhythmelodies from the most basic factory presets, arranging these into an enchanting audiomaze of a composition. Mori's rhythmatic wizardry underlined the extent to which rhythm remains the next frontier for Ars Electronica in 2000 and beyond.

plucked from this ether

awesome track

plucked from this ether

awesome track

Yes, great piece!

it has a very nice sequencer too, you can do parameter lock like elektron gears do, so even though most of the pcm sounds are dated, you can still create patterns that sound fresh. If you go little bit deeper, you will find it has got filter and EG, I remember someone used ry30 to create very interesting pad sound.

it has a very nice sequencer too, you can do parameter lock like elektron gears do, so even though most of the pcm sounds are dated, you can still create patterns that sound fresh. If you go little bit deeper, you will find it has got filter and EG, I remember someone used ry30 to create very interesting pad sound.

Yeah, there's some crazy stuff you can do if you max the decay on certain sounds. I assume that's how you'd get a pad like sound. The filter is fairly weak, but still a nice feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

This drum machine is on my wish list. U-Ziq used it a lot I think too. The short of it the sounds are very punchy and I'm sure its a lot of fun to play with too.

Ha, I can't believe I didn't weigh in on this thread. Must have been taking a break.

Yeah, it's a fun little machine. The sounds get old pretty fast though. Every once in a while I miss it and then I have to remind myself that there's nothing it can do that my MPC1000 can't do.

Autechre used it from We R Are Why through (I think) LP5. It's most obvious on We R, Cichlisuite and their Mari Hamada remix.

Archived