IGNORED

movies about mental illness

Guest boo

And I think mental illness has suffered a similar fate in TV and film. Like with CPR, we only really see the exceptional cases...

Anyway, just a thought.

^ I feel like CSI and most other crime/detective shows have done the same. I feel like it's one of a plethora of reasons why so many people seem unaware or apathetic to glaring issues in our Justice system.

Anyway...interesting list. It seems less understood and more complicated conditions (bipolar especially) are covered a lot.

I realize a few of my favorite films are included:

The Fisher King

Little Miss Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

What About Bob?

Brazil - I love this one because there's a sense of the main character becoming sane in a fucked up society.

Apocalypse Now - (lot of irony about war and morality in this one toom, same with Full Metal Jacket)

A Clockwork Orange

Trainspotting and Fear and Loathing are pretty good takes on drug abuse - I know Requiem for a Dream is a lot more "blunt" (and still a gdoo movie) but it's almost too heavy-handed.

Also, there's a really subtle theme of distorted and false memories in Empire of The Sun - nothing to do with mental disorders, more about coping with war and stress from the perspective of a child.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I think mental illness has suffered a similar fate in TV and film. Like with CPR, we only really see the exceptional cases...

Anyway, just a thought.

^ I feel like CSI and most other crime/detective shows have done the same. I feel like it's one of a plethora of reasons why so many people seem unaware or apathetic to glaring issues in our Justice system.

There is a phenomenon (mostly among jurors) literally called the CSI effect.

Anyway, just a thought.

There is a phenomenon (mostly among jurors) literally called the CSI effect.

Goddamn, no idea that was so widespread and documented, interesting and alarming. I mean, are you telling me that one cannot simply ZOOM INTO SECURITY CAM FOOTAGE INTO EYE OF RANDOM PERSON AND MIRROR THE IMAGE AND THE ENHANCE IMAGE INTO DNA TEST RESULTS OF THE SUSPECT!?

I second the Tenant. Also one that's rarely mentioned, 'Special' starring michael rapaport. It's about a guy who goes on an experimental drug trial that basically makes him fully delusional and have a break from reality

I second the Tenant. Also one that's rarely mentioned, 'Special' starring michael rapaport. It's about a guy who goes on an experimental drug trial that basically makes him fully delusional and have a break from reality

special is good. he thinks he has super powers and that the doctor is telepathically telling him about the situation. he makes a costume and proceeds to fight crime

Benny's Video -

A 14-year-old video enthusiast is so caught up in film fantasy that he can no longer relate to the real world, to such an extent that he commits murder and records an on-camera confession for his parents.

The Face of Another (full film)

http://youtu.be/m0bfPBmjlAg

A staggering work of existential science fiction, The Face of Another dissects identity with the sure hand of a surgeon. Okuyama (Yojimbo‘s Tatsuya Nakadai), after being burned and disfigured in an industrial accident and estranged from his family and friends, agrees to his psychiatrist’s radical new experiment: a face transplant, created from the mold of a stranger. As Okuyama is thus further alienated from the strange world around him, he finds himself giving in to his darker temptations. With unforgettable imagery, Teshigahara’s film explores both the limits and freedom in acquiring a new persona, and questions the notion of individuality itself.

^Isn't that 'Super'?

no 'Super' is the one made by James gunn starring the dude from the Office, that one is more along the lines of a slightly higher brow Troma film. It's very similar in concept to Kick-Ass but it's a stronger film than Kick-ass I think. I get them mixed up too though. There were several 'weird' super hero movies coming out around the same time including that awful one with Woody Harrelson where he plays a borderline retarded super hero

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

^lol

Tried to watch that three times now.

I have to drink while I'm watching to make it less painful and I always pass out halfway through.

It is glorious. Especially when sober.

Archived